Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

paint question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint question

hey guys/gals, paint question, I did some custom taillights with paint and clear and was wondering what the next step would be, I used SprayMax 2k clear. I've seen some people just polish the lights after a week or so, and then there are others I've seen wet sand the lights, and then polish them. Which is better? Also if I wet sanded wouldn't the polish have to continually be applied? thanks all
Old 12-10-2018, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends how flat you got your clear to lay, if anything got in the paint as it was drying, and how flat you ultimately want the finish to be.

Wetsanding just levels the paint, removes some imperfections. Polishing just removes those scratches left behind by the sand paper.

Yes, if sanded, the polish would be needed afterwards.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i usually try to get my clear to be flawless when i do lights, if you have some dust in it no biggie wet sand and buff right out. but i try to avoid that. as for polishing all the time if you do it right you should good for pretty much ever, only reason to polish again later is due to washing and whatever scuffing the lights, just general basic wear on paint like normal ...