Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Can the Driveshaft Tunnel of an F-Body be 'safely' widened to accomodate an exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Can the Driveshaft Tunnel of an F-Body be 'safely' widened to accomodate an exhaust?

I have True Duals and my car is lowered. I am scraping like crazy. I am going to raise the car for now but I have grown to really like the agressive stance of the lowered vehicle. I am wondering, if I wanted to 'widen' the drive shaft tunnel either through cutting and wielding, or massaging it (essentially toward the interior of the car) to stuff my 3" TD pipes into the tunnel instead of under it, can I do this without affecting the integrity of the chassis? or is it best to not do this?
Old 05-27-2024, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

How low is lowered? Do you have pics? It could be done, but would be a lot of effort. There is the torque arm, brake lines and fuel lines running down the driver's side. The torque arms is where it is, unless you go with a DSE 4 link, or run IRS. You'd have to favor the passenger side to avoid creating new challenges.

Instead, you could pull the exhaust tubes in very close, and/or use ovalized pipe down the trans tunnel, heavily favoring shifting to the passenger side (the way Kooks does true dual do).

Last edited by lees02WS6; 05-27-2024 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Can the Driveshaft Tunnel of an F-Body be 'safely' widened to accomodate an exhaust?