Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are beyond the 100K mileage limit, but try anyway.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, there was another post here that said it was unlimited mileage, but I don't know. I called my closest dealership (which is a chevy dealership) but they first transfered me 4 times before actually getting to the svc mgr. He looked up the svc bulletin and said it would only cover under the 3 yr/36k warranty. Then he said I had to go to a Pontiac dealership cause they could not do anything about it. Ooooookay...
So then I call the local Pontiac dealership where the guy originally bought the car. Talked to the body shop there, and the girl said I needed to bring it in and let them look at it, then they would get it approved thru the warranty guy and take care of it. This just shows you the kind of svc you can get at one dealership verses another. The warranty mgr at the chevy place did not know what a service bulletin was...
Old 05-23-2005, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i got an 00 z28 and i went to local dealership and I was shot down because my 3yr/36 was expired.. such bs..anyway how can I get more info or something to throw in their face so that i can get this done or how can I contact somebody in GM that will get this taken care of.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Default paint bubbles

imo, if someone who has had this repaired by dealer with high miles and being a 98-02, and is willing to post the repair order that was done with little or no deductable so we can take it in ourselves and show them
Old 05-23-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SleeperZzZ28
ok i got an 00 z28 and i went to local dealership and I was shot down because my 3yr/36 was expired
Your car has a 6 year/100K warranty on rust through and I think paint defects are a part of it. The 3/36K warranty is on mechanical stuff. Have your dealership print out the service history for your car. It will have your specific warranty periods and end dates listed on it.

Then you have more than you have now.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if I have paint bubbling on my rear passenger panel then the the dealership is supposed to repaint it. This would be great because there is a ton of spots on that panel.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSJIMMY
So if I have paint bubbling on my rear passenger panel then the the dealership is supposed to repaint it. This would be great because there is a ton of spots on that panel.
No, not repaint. They should replace the whole roof.

Repainting will just get more bubbles in it.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure Dimensions covers this, but NOT positive....they are my extended warranty provider (6 yr.100K) and very picky w/adjuster sent for most claims.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Your car has a 6 year/100K warranty on rust through and I think paint defects are a part of it.
No it's not.

Paint defects have absolutely nothing to do with "rust through"

"Techincally" if you are out of the 3/36 GM does not have to honor the TSB. Now a dealer may be willing to work with you . . .

How does plastic rust through?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
No it's not.

Paint defects have absolutely nothing to do with "rust through"

"Techincally" if you are out of the 3/36 GM does not have to honor the TSB. Now a dealer may be willing to work with you . . .

How does plastic rust through?
Did you read this whole thread? GM gives all their cars a 6/100K warranty on paint defects. The glue which is outgassing and causing the bubbles is a latent defect. That is what the people who have had them repaired said.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my rear quarter panel is what is bubbling not the sail panel so will the dealer cover this and what do I need to tell them.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSJIMMY
my rear quarter panel is what is bubbling not the sail panel so will the dealer cover this and what do I need to tell them.
If it's the quarer panel, that is a different situation than we are talking about. I don't think that is a known problem within GM. It might be covered if it is considered a latent defect in the original paint. If you are below the 6 year, 100K mile range, I would go to some dealerships and have the Service Manager look it over. Maybe it will be covered. I don't know.

Bubbling paint is a problem on other GM cars, so maybe you will be in luck.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got this exactly problem on my 2001 TA. It's only on the sail panel but it's really bad in my case. I took it to the dealership, got a quote ($934!!!!) and contacted GM directly. They are going to call me tomorrow and schedule a appointment for me to go get it fixed for free. I suggest if you get a dealership that is giving you the run around, print out the link on the first page and take it to another dealer that will work with you. Any real dealership already knows about this problem (mine has had TONS of people coming it to fix it) and will work with you. I'll take some photos of mine tomorrow in the day light, the **** will freak you out bigtime!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Ok now I'm really upset. I contacted GM and they gave me the same BS about being out of my 3 year 36k warranty and since my roof didnt have any rust on it that it would not be covered. Yet they post up a service bulletin on it which states condition: customers complain of bubbling on rooof. correction: replace the outer roof panel with a new roof panel. I guess that only applies for the vehicles they havent sold yet, once you buy from them they pretty much say screw you.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hardcorebob
I've got this exactly problem on my 2001 TA. It's only on the sail panel but it's really bad in my case. I took it to the dealership, got a quote ($934!!!!) and contacted GM directly. They are going to call me tomorrow and schedule a appointment for me to go get it fixed for free. I suggest if you get a dealership that is giving you the run around, print out the link on the first page and take it to another dealer that will work with you. Any real dealership already knows about this problem (mine has had TONS of people coming it to fix it) and will work with you. I'll take some photos of mine tomorrow in the day light, the **** will freak you out bigtime!
Thats the way to do it! I just had mine done with no problem what so ever. Its a 00 with 44k on it. My friend on the other hand went to a different dealer and they refused. He called chevy directly and they approved it on that end. He takes it right back to the dealer and VIOLA! done.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Great post... I have been wondering what I was gonna do about the SS having this problem.. but now I know.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Launching!

DAMNit.. I wondered where those came from. Ive had my car repainted tho.. but I painted on top of the factory color.. wonder If im still covered?..
S
Old 06-02-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt bump to help everyone out.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Did you read this whole thread? GM gives all their cars a 6/100K warranty on paint defects.
I don't care WHAT the thread says . . . GM does not warrant the paint for 6Y/100K on defects . . .

Read your warrantee . . .

NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY
GM vehicles registered in the USA are covered for 3 years/36,000 miles, whichever comes first. The complete vehicle is covered, including tires, towing to your nearest Chevrolet dealership, and cosmetic corrosion resulting from defects. Repairs will be made to correct any vehicle defect and most warranty repairs will be made at no charge. In addition, rust-through corrosion will be covered for 6 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first. See dealer for details.

Corrosion Protection
Chevrolet vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your Chevrolet dealer for terms of this limited warranty.
So where are "defects" covered, other than the standard 3/36?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Think of it as a lemon law.
http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/GM-Paint.htm

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies