Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
I don't care WHAT the thread says . . . GM does not warrant the paint for 6Y/100K on defects . . .

Read your warrantee . . .

So where are "defects" covered, other than the standard 3/36?
it looks like infact GM does warrant defects, under a 6 year unlimited mileage warrantee. I was getting worried there....i'm 2k over 36,000
Old 06-03-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Interesting read, never heard of GM doing that, but that "paint defect" is for pealling paint, although it looks like some bright information for those with the bubbling roof, I still would not get my hopes up too high until GM or the dealer actually commit to fixing the bubbly roofs out of the 3/36 warrantee.

Since the roof issue is a defect with the roof and adhesive, not the paint.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Interesting read, never heard of GM doing that, but that "paint defect" is for pealling paint, although it looks like some bright information for those with the bubbling roof, I still would not get my hopes up too high until GM or the dealer actually commit to fixing the bubbly roofs out of the 3/36 warrantee.

Since the roof issue is a defect with the roof and adhesive, not the paint.
I was under the impression that the article wasn't speaking solely on peeling, it just noted that peeling was the primary GM paint defect. Which i've noticed on my parents older GM's. kinda sucks.

Another thought is that possibly the reason ours aren't peeling is because it hasn't had enough time to do so. It makes sense that if we're noticing these bubbles and waves after only a couple years, that in a couple more, they could progress to the peeling stage.

keep your fingers crossed i guess
Old 06-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Launching!

I have not had the unfortunate 'pealing' issue...anyone have pics? These cars have been out of production for awhile (3yrs)...where do we consciously draw the line of it being "GMs responsibilty"? Regardless of GMs claim to repair within a certain time or mileage frame. Good luck getting a dealership to comply with the whinning . We love our cars but 'they' consider them 'just cars'.

If in fact the issue was 'genuine' (no pun intended), then would we want a dealer to paint it for 'free' after countless efforts in beating a resilant horse or would our time be better spent putting out faith in a reputible body shop and do it right? My time is worth the effort in doing right, not fighting with some manufacturer trained turd. How much will be really invested? Probably less than an aftermarket exhaust....? My two pennies...
Old 06-05-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are some photos of my sail panel problem. Friggin hideous ****, UGGHH, it makes me cringe every time I see the top of my car.
Attached Thumbnails Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-19f05-6-5-16-2-sailpanel1.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-20f05-6-5-16-2-sailpanel2.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-21f05-6-5-16-2-sailpanel3.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-22f05-6-5-16-2-sailpanel4.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-23f05-6-5-16-3-sailpanel5.jpg  

Old 06-05-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

One more to boot and then I'm done. Whew, I can wait until tomorrow when I talk to the guy who is going to approve my repairs....
Attached Thumbnails Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-24f05-6-5-16-3-sailpanel6.jpg  
Old 06-05-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same problem, I took it at first before my 3yr/36000 ran out. All they did was repaint the roof. Now it is happening again and even worst this time. I am going to call and get approval before I go to the dealership and get the usual run around. This is very good information by the way!!
Old 06-05-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

So are the 98 guys out of luck?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if i jus have 1 little chip is it gonna be worth the hassle?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering if they'll cover work on my 1999. It has the usual bubbles.

I'm also wondering if they'll cover stress cracks on the driver's side door, hatch, and spoiler? That would be sweet, because there are quite a few cracks appearing.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default It worked

Ok, so I get home and I called Pontiac directly (18007622737) and spoke to a actual rep, not the automated crap that they have on there, well I told him about the TSB #1283933 and he immediately contacted the local dealership in town Red McCombs Superior Pontiac, and we acutally spoke to the body shop manager. He told me to bring the car down so he could look at it. I did immediately and as soon as he saw it he said it would be no problem, that he would order the part and get the problem fixed. My suggestion is to call the company first, it worked for me. I am so pleased with the dealership, and he is even going to get me a rental for when my car is in the shop. Now I just have to wait to see how good of a job they do. Good luck to the rest of you!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

An update in my case. I spoke to the service manager and I'm hooking up with him tomorrow. He said it shouldn't be a problem for him to approve the repairs at no cost to me. He mentioned some good info in my call:

1. If you are the original owner of the F-body, you shouldn't have any problem getting it fixed for free with the years of 1999-2002.

2. If you are not the original owner, and it's within the 3/36000 warranty, no problem again.

3. If you are not the original owner and out of the 3/36000 warranty (my case), they contact the District Service Manager and he makes the ultimate decision.

Since I've bought 3 cars from this dealership in the past, he assured me that I most likely will get a favorable decision. I won't be getting a rental like blkbird but I really don't give a damn at this point so long as they fix my car for free. I'll post again tomorrow after I visit the dealership AGAIN! LOL Man what a bitch this has been......
Old 06-06-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hardcorebob
An update in my case. I spoke to the service manager and I'm hooking up with him tomorrow. He said it shouldn't be a problem for him to approve the repairs at no cost to me. He mentioned some good info in my call:

1. If you are the original owner of the F-body, you shouldn't have any problem getting it fixed for free with the years of 1999-2002.

2. If you are not the original owner, and it's within the 3/36000 warranty, no problem again.

3. If you are not the original owner and out of the 3/36000 warranty (my case), they contact the District Service Manager and he makes the ultimate decision.

Since I've bought 3 cars from this dealership in the past, he assured me that I most likely will get a favorable decision. I won't be getting a rental like blkbird but I really don't give a damn at this point so long as they fix my car for free. I'll post again tomorrow after I visit the dealership AGAIN! LOL Man what a bitch this has been......
My local dealership is yet to contact me back after 3 visits. They told me to contact GM before they would authorize anything. Contacting GM directly, the 2 people i spent 45 mins on the phone with, couldnt find it.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is how you should do it:

1. pick a dealership that will work with you

2. go to the body shop and get an estimate and mention the service bulletin from page one of this thread.

3. speak with the service director. if he is cool and on the ball on this issue you are good. if he doesn't have a clue what you are talking about, inform him and get the district service manager involved.

4. call chevrolet/pontiac customer care and get a service request number. basically you've logged a complaint and it's been filed in their system. Remember that it took me 3 reps before I found someone to actually call me back and try to help me out. I'll ask if can refer people to him directly when I speak with him next. He does Pontiac customer service.

Good luck in any case.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I talked with the service manager today and he is contacting the district service manager to let him know the details. I should know something within a day or so according to the service manager. I'll keep updating this thread once I get more information/confirmation of what is going to happen. Wish me luck guys/gals!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked with the service manager today and he is contacting the district service manager to let him know the details. I should know something within a day or so according to the service manager. I'll keep updating this thread once I get more information/confirmation of what is going to happen. Wish me luck guys/gals!
My guy said he would contact the district service rep, still no call, and I have gone out there once and still no word.....UGH...time to raise hell...or just go to another GM dealership.

Update: After going out there today, they contacted a district service manager. And he too was a *****. I have to take my car out there, have 2 guys look at it and decide what they will do. I will have to pay their deductible somewhere between 100-900 dollars.............

Last edited by Zymosis; 06-10-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zymosis
My guy said he would contact the district service rep, still no call, and I have gone out there once and still no word.....UGH...time to raise hell...or just go to another GM dealership.

Update: After going out there today, they contacted a district service manager. And he too was a *****. I have to take my car out there, have 2 guys look at it and decide what they will do. I will have to pay their deductible somewhere between 100-900 dollars.............
Good luck man, I hope it works out for you. If nothing else you've at least got some of it paid for. The total repair is $934 btw, so don't let them juice you for some bullshit deductible. It's either all paid for or a $100ish deductible nothing else would be acceptible in my book. Use the info in this thread and bring it with you when you let them look at your car, 9 times out of 10 they will realize that you are a informed person and not try to screw with you.

In my case, the District Service Manager (a woman!) hasn't returned the calls from the Service Manager at the dealership that I bought the TA from. GM (Pontiac) customer care (a guy that actually is doing his job) directly has tried to call her and hasn't been successfull for some reason. It has been escalated by him to the person above the DSM so I am still in limbo at this point. I'll keep everyone posted once I get word, hopefully Monday (6-13) will bring some good news.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck man, I hope it works out for you. If nothing else you've at least got some of it paid for. The total repair is $934 btw, so don't let them juice you for some bullshit deductible. It's either all paid for or a $100ish deductible nothing else would be acceptible in my book. Use the info in this thread and bring it with you when you let them look at your car, 9 times out of 10 they will realize that you are a informed person and not try to screw with you.

In my case, the District Service Manager (a woman!) hasn't returned the calls from the Service Manager at the dealership that I bought the TA from. GM (Pontiac) customer care (a guy that actually is doing his job) directly has tried to call her and hasn't been successfull for some reason. It has been escalated by him to the person above the DSM so I am still in limbo at this point. I'll keep everyone posted once I get word, hopefully Monday (6-13) will bring some good news.
Hey Hardcorebob,

If that doesnt work, why dont you take a drive to SA and see if the dealership I went through will work with you. He didnt give me any hassle at all. Let me know.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Don't know if this is true or not, but I figured I would post up to see whats up. A buddy of mine told me the 35th LE cars don't have this problem as the sail panel was unique to the car (i.e. the only camaros with red sail panels).

Is this BS or what?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neonblack
Don't know if this is true or not, but I figured I would post up to see whats up. A buddy of mine told me the 35th LE cars don't have this problem as the sail panel was unique to the car (i.e. the only camaros with red sail panels).

Is this BS or what?
I don't think anybody is going to know the answer to that one.
Are you saying the sail panel was a red plastic of some sort? Did they remove the paint to even see that?
From what I inderstand it doesn't have much to do with the panels, It was the glue they used to bond them on with. It eventually outgases causing the bubbles to come through to the top.
I doubt GM would have used a different glue just for the 35th LE cars.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies