Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I don't think anybody is going to know the answer to that one.
Are you saying the sail panel was a red plastic of some sort? Did they remove the paint to even see that?
From what I inderstand it doesn't have much to do with the panels, It was the glue they used to bond them on with. It eventually outgases causing the bubbles to come through to the top.
I doubt GM would have used a different glue just for the 35th LE cars.
Yeah, I didn't think the 35th LE got any special treatment. Wishful thinking I guess. Hopefully, I won't have any problems down the road...
Old 06-14-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blkbird
Hey Hardcorebob,

If that doesnt work, why dont you take a drive to SA and see if the dealership I went through will work with you. He didnt give me any hassle at all. Let me know.
Blkbird, I do appreciate that. I will definitely give you a shout if this doesn't go through here.

Tomorrow I find out what is going to happen when the District Service Manager is here in Austin. My service manager will be giving the news and will probably call me at work. I hope to god it's good news or I'll be pissed! LOL
Old 06-14-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hardcorebob,

Let me know, I had no problems whatsoever. I can give you the name and number of the Pontiac rep that helped me out as well.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Hardcorebob,

Let me know, I had no problems whatsoever. I can give you the name and number of the Pontiac rep that helped me out as well.
I was dropping off a buddy of mine @ Park Place Pontiac, so I decided to ask them about the TSB.....the guy there had no idea what I was talking about. Which dealership did you go through?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Red McCombs Pontiac off 410 between Babcock and Callaghan. The guy from the body shop is named Billy Paul. Dont you have a camaro though, I think you would have to go through a chevy dealership. You can talk to that guy from pontiac and see if he can hook you up with somebody at a chevy dealership like Ancira right there on Bandera road.

Last edited by blkbird; 06-15-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Blkbird- you must be the original owner of your ride. I just got word and they want to do me a 50/50 split of the $934.00 total repair bill. I'm not real happy about that but their reasoning is since I'm not the original owner (2nd one) and it's out of the manufacturers warrenty (43,000k) that's the best that they will do for me. You sound like the original owner and you were close enough on mileage for them to do it. I had my buddy at GM call Bill Paul in SA and he said to bring it in for him to check it out. I'm afraid he would come to the same conclusion however because of my out of warranty/not the original owner. ****!!! Time to call the finance director and see what he can do.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hardcorebob
Blkbird- you must be the original owner of your ride. I just got word and they want to do me a 50/50 split of the $934.00 total repair bill. I'm not real happy about that but their reasoning is since I'm not the original owner (2nd one) and it's out of the manufacturers warrenty (43,000k) that's the best that they will do for me. You sound like the original owner and you were close enough on mileage for them to do it. I had my buddy at GM call Bill Paul in SA and he said to bring it in for him to check it out. I'm afraid he would come to the same conclusion however because of my out of warranty/not the original owner. ****!!! Time to call the finance director and see what he can do.

When I took the car for him to look at it he didnt ask me about mileage or if I was the original owner. I am the original owner and have 76k on the clock. He just said that he would take care of the problem. The warranty would fall under the 6yr/100kmi rust warranty I think is what the pontiac rep said. It doesnt hurt to try. Same you some cash as well. Give me a call if you need some more info. I sent you a pm with my #. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I took the car for him to look at it he didnt ask me about mileage or if I was the original owner. I am the original owner and have 76k on the clock. He just said that he would take care of the problem. The warranty would fall under the 6yr/100kmi rust warranty I think is what the pontiac rep said. It doesnt hurt to try. Same you some cash as well. Give me a call if you need some more info. I sent you a pm with my #. Good luck.
It's amazing how they don't make some guidelines and give em to all the dealership that say "if they have this problem, fix it because it's a factory defect". I'm going to call your man in SA and hook up with him hopefully this Saturday. If I do, I'll give you a shout and we will do lunch/beers for a few hours. If it's not this weekend, I'll have to take a day off work but I'll let you know when I'm going to come down.

Thanks a million blkbird I do appreciate your info and help in this matter!
Old 06-15-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hardcorebob
It's amazing how they don't make some guidelines and give em to all the dealership that say "if they have this problem, fix it because it's a factory defect".
GM actually makes a point of not doing that. These types of repairs cost them money, so they will try and get out of it anyway they can. The fewer people that know about it, the better.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK, after all this drama with the sail panel issue, I'd thought I'd complete the final chapter for all of you to read. The final verdict: since I was out of the manufacturers warranty, and I wasn't the original owner, I have to do the 50/50 split of $934 for the repair of the sail panel. Evidently this is a standard practice (the 50/50 split) that they will offer someone that is in my position. I tried getting my buddy who works at a Pontiac dealership to get me a sail panel for his cost which was $360.00 ($480 normally) and get a quote to get it installed. Even doing that, it still would have cost me more than the 50% split with the dealership ($550.00 vs $467.00). Soooooo, I will drop my Bird off to the dealership mid-month in July and let them fix it. I'm not really happy about this but my ride looks like crap in the condition that it's in right now. My bubbles are leaking some type of clear liquid and it's just looks like some serious herpes is raging on my Bird because of the major heat here in Texas. I'll post some "after" photos once I get it back from the shop. I wish nothing but the best for anyone else who is having this problem and I hope this thread helps you out.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Launching!

well, I called my local dealership today, body shop said they knew nothing about the sail panel problem with the t/a's and camaros.....I think he really did know....I told him abou it, and that I had the TSB # if he needed it, he told me to drop the car off tonight and theyd take care of it.......so I think he did know about and once I told him about the TSB he knew I knew what I was talking about *L* Ill let you know how it goes from here..........
Old 07-19-2005, 06:28 AM
screamin chicken

Default boo GM

Will I have tried several times, been throug the BBB, consumer affairs, and GM.I have a 2000 WS6 that only has 32,135 miles on it,I keep it in the Garage under a car cover , and I was told that my car is out of warranty and that i would have to pay to get mine fixed.I buy a brand new car and the paint starts to bubble and GM will not fix mine.I am so ticked that they can choose which cars warranty or not and fix them and not mine, way to go GM........
Old 07-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Launching!

my dealer refused to fix it, I called pontiac and waiting to hear back on Thursday between 11 and 1, Im going to take the letter from GM admitting the problem with their paint in tomorrow and see if that does any good
Old 07-22-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

anyone know how much this would cost to get done for a car out of warranty?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
anyone know how much this would cost to get done for a car out of warranty?
From the previous posts it sounds like $900-1000
Old 07-23-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by strippedSS
From the previous posts it sounds like $900-1000

Gonna be a tad more than that... They have to buy a new roof, then paint it, then cut your old bubbled up roof off and glue the new one on. The dealer claimed that it was a $2000.00 job. (My roof was actually painted 2 weeks before I ever took the car in for the work, Paint/color match was friggin perfect, You gotta love paint codes!)

I kept a big chunk of my old roof for a souveneir / good luck charm...
Old 07-25-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok i just noticed a very small bubble on the pass side of my sail panel the other day on my 01 with almost 70k. So assuming i get a favorable dealer they will replace the roof and repaint it for free. Its only one small bubble so far but im sure its only going to get worse over time and if theres a chance if getting it taken care of im all for it.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have you guys who have taken it to a dealer to get checked out had favorable results if it wasn't the dealer that sold it? Just curious if I could just go to any local dealer or you had better luck where it was purchased. I purchased mine used from a Chevy dealer, the same one that sold it new, but it is out of state. I tend to think Considering it's at 25k and they've sold it twice, I figure they'd have to do something about it....but they're really far away.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

I'm having the same problems as everyone else here on my car. So far the information from others on this site has been very helpful. I'm trying to work through this whole thing right now. However, since this seems to be a fairly common problem, and in many instances GM is playing dumb to avoid the issue, it might be an idea to see if "we" could maybe file a class action lawsuit against GM to help everyone resolve this issue.

Do we have any lawyer's on this site that might be able to give some advise. It sounds to me like there is enough "evidence" of a significant manufactures defect, and that if we all worked as a group, be might be able to accomplish more than just "some guy" with a car that GM doesn't even build anymore. Just my thoughts.

What do you all think?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

I am with T-hawk; I think class action would get GM moving. I am sure I will have to go thru all this BS with mine even thought it is still under warranty.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies