Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/QUOTE]There seems to be differing opinions amongst BBB arbitrators whether or not a persons claim has any merit. I was initially denied by the BBB but I had to file an appeal which basically said the BBB should make GM cover my problem under the 6yr/100k paint protection warranty. My appeal went to some guy in Virginia who decided that my case should be handled by the BBB. I won the arbitration and GM fixed my car about 2 weeks later.

All said and done, 6.5 months.[/QUOTE]

No surprise there about the arbitrators. When I filed my BBB case I was contacted by a GM case worker who deals with BBB cases. I thought-oh here we go again but within an hour she had contacted the same ASM who would only approve partial coverage previously. This time the decision was 100% coverage! I asked why the change and the reply was "Maybe because now it is going through the BBB". Waiting wise, my start to finish was about the same 6 months +/-.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Teching In

JFsport02, how did you go about filing the appeal with the BBB? Is it on the website? Thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 AM
screamin chicken

I also contacted the BBB and after weeks of talking to the BBB and GM I was still denied.....
Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by matt02ws.6
JFsport02, how did you go about filing the appeal with the BBB? Is it on the website? Thanks
It never got to an appeal for me. The initial BBB case worker assigned to my case was able to get it approved.

See Loyolacub68's previous message and link. It appears all the BBB information you need is there.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/884432-important-repair-information-sail-panel-paint-issues.html
Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

How do I know if my car is covered under the warranty or not? Did the original buyer have to pay extra? Mine does fall within 3years/100K mi.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 6 year/100k warranty is a standard warranty for all GM vehicles to protect against rust and paint defects.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

both of my cars have the problem, struck out last year with local dealer, stumbled across this post yesterday...not too worried about the 98,(it's the DD) but will probably fix the 01 myself...purchased it 3 years ago with 36k, bubbles showed later, keep covered in shop, now has 40k, 2nd owner...bought from original owner...has TSB,etc, just tired of the BS,have bought last vehicle from above dealer....

will check 98 when i get home, not sure of mfg date on door sticker!!!

will watch this post with great interest...
Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
screamin chicken

If this was a problem with the Vette I bet you GM would fix all of them....
Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by screamin chicken
If this was a problem with the Vette I bet you GM would fix all of them....
You are correct sir. In fact the Corvettes have this problem where bad glue causes the hardtops on some Corvettes to delaminate and fly off the car at high speeds. They have no problem getting this problem fixed, although it is a bit more of a safety hazard. If only our roofs were flying off at high speed......
Old 05-28-2008, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by rs94z28
will check 98 when i get home, not sure of mfg date on door sticker!!!

will watch this post with great interest...
Judging by your SLP build number, your ’98 car was built in either May or June of ’98. But please confirm when you get the chance.

If this is the case, then the pattern continues. The only ’98 cars effected are ones built in or after May of ’98. Whatever GM changed (glue, roof supplier, epoxy primer, etc.), they did it some time in May of 1998.

So far, I’ve found only ONE car built in May of ’98 that did NOT have the issue. It must’ve been built very early in the month.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Teching In

I have an '02 Z-28 with "BUBBLE" TOP ISSUE. The bubbles are massive and looks like crap.....as you all know. After reading the posts here.....all the way back to 2005, I thought......what the HELL.....i'll give GM a call and see if I may be the next lucky caller that gets his sail panel replaced at no charge and no hassle. HAHAHAHA! The gal I spoke to must have read from a script because every thing that has been mentioned on this board was said to me. 1. You are not the original owner. 2. It is out of the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty 3. The 6 year rust thru warranty does not apply. 4. You didn't buy the car from this dealer. 5. You've never had it serviced there. 6. You just bought the car and the bubbles were already there. 7. We decide on a case by case basis. I mentioned others who have been down this road before and won, and those who had lost. It didn't matter. The TSB meant nothing in the conversation and the fact that I had purchased a $45,000.00 Tahoe Z-71 meant nothing........nor did the fact that I have two other Camaros. The FACTS are this: We are **** ants going up against a major corporation. Most of us do not have the time or the guts to fight them like some of you have. I applaud you!! There should have been a class action lawsuit filed years ago. Good Luck to anyone who wins the battle.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Teching In

So I went to a Pontiac Dealership today to get my sail panel looked at. They said that the service bulletin is nothing more than instructions for the service tech on how to complete the repair. They said there are no active recalls on the f-bodies. I then went home and called Pontiac corporate. They confirmed there is no open recall on the f-body.

The lady at corporate told me that if there were enough complaints to their customer service number that they would probably start a recall on them. So heres the deal, I need a ton of people to call and complain about their sail panels. Pontiac customer service can be reached at 1-800-762-2737.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This continuing saga seems like it will never end ... GM will do as little as possible to fix as few of these cars as they can..it seems like the problem starts to show up after five years...and by the time owners figure out how to deal with it the warranty is done ... good luck to all who are still fighting the fight.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by fbody396
I have an '02 Z-28 with "BUBBLE" TOP ISSUE. The bubbles are massive and looks like crap.....as you all know. After reading the posts here.....all the way back to 2005, I thought......what the HELL.....i'll give GM a call and see if I may be the next lucky caller that gets his sail panel replaced at no charge and no hassle. HAHAHAHA! The gal I spoke to must have read from a script because every thing that has been mentioned on this board was said to me. 1. You are not the original owner. 2. It is out of the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty 3. The 6 year rust thru warranty does not apply. 4. You didn't buy the car from this dealer. 5. You've never had it serviced there. 6. You just bought the car and the bubbles were already there. 7. We decide on a case by case basis. I mentioned others who have been down this road before and won, and those who had lost. It didn't matter. The TSB meant nothing in the conversation and the fact that I had purchased a $45,000.00 Tahoe Z-71 meant nothing........nor did the fact that I have two other Camaros. The FACTS are this: We are **** ants going up against a major corporation. Most of us do not have the time or the guts to fight them like some of you have. I applaud you!! There should have been a class action lawsuit filed years ago. Good Luck to anyone who wins the battle.
This is why I say that you need to find a really good dealer, and once you do STICK with them. Sadly, GM isn't always willing to take care of their customers directly, but if you have a good relationship with a great dealer, they will find ways to get things like this approved.

Granted, some people are SOL regardless of the dealer, just due to the age of the car. But there have been more than a few of us to get this covered under the 6 year/100k deal by going through a really good dealer, even though if you contact GM directly they'll tell you to get bent.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Teching In

I understand what you are saying about finding a good dealer and sticking with them. But loyalty to a dealer should have nothing to do with what's right! I should not have to be a fleet buyer to get treated fairly. I hope some aftermarket company comes up with a replacement we can afford to buy and install as a weekend project.
Explain to me how people get GM to replace the panel under the 6 year/100,000 mile warranty and the lady I speak to in claims tells me it doesn't fall under that.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I understand what you are saying about finding a good dealer and sticking with them. But loyalty to a dealer should have nothing to do with what's right! I should not have to be a fleet buyer to get treated fairly. I hope some aftermarket company comes up with a replacement we can afford to buy and install as a weekend project.
Explain to me how people get GM to replace the panel under the 6 year/100,000 mile warranty and the lady I speak to in claims tells me it doesn't fall under that.
I agree that GM should do the right thing here, and treat everyone equally on this. If they cover it for one person, it should be covered for everyone. The dealers shouldn't have to jump through hoops, or work an inside angle to get this stuff done.

On the dealer thing though, I've found that some dealers are MUCH better than others from the first moment you step in the door. Then, as with any business relationship, the more business you do with them, the more willing they are to "take care" of you. The good ones are willing to go the extra step when they need to, to protect their customers if at all possibile. Granted, any dealer should treat you fairly whether you're a brand new customer or an old timer, but generally you'll get a little extra care when you're a long time regular customer. I've found that the better dealers are the ones with a lot of long time employees. Usually, if they treat their people good, they also treat their customers good. I get nervous when I walk into a dealer with a lot of very young people, or when I go back a few times and never see the same faces. When you see people's name tags and years of service, and the newest guys have 5+ years, that's a good sign.

Frankly, I don't know how some of them get it covered though. Guess they know an inside channel. At this point though, all but the last of the '02 cars have surpassed the 6 years anyway, so we'll probably see even less approvals going forward.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Teching In

You are a wise man! I'm 60 years old and in seven days be retired from 38 years of teaching. I guess I was hoping my Sr. years would help me a little when I walked into the body shop and when I spoke to the ladies at GM. Maybe for the Hell of it i'll take my '69 SS 396 to the dealer and tell him I want some warranty work done and see what kind of look I get. I'm sure I can dig up a TSB on it somewhere. LOL! Ok, time for my pills and a warm glass of milk. Nite!!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

You are a wise man! I'm 60 years old and in seven days be retired from 38 years of teaching. I guess I was hoping my Sr. years would help me a little when I walked into the body shop and when I spoke to the ladies at GM. Maybe for the Hell of it i'll take my '69 SS 396 to the dealer and tell him I want some warranty work done and see what kind of look I get. I'm sure I can dig up a TSB on it somewhere. LOL! Ok, time for my pills and a warm glass of milk. Nite!!
Congrats on your retirement! I look forward to that moment each day, though I have quite a bit longer to go than you do.

I think you should bring both your '69 SS and '02 Z28 in and explain to the dealer the following:

"Look, I'm obviously a loyal customer, as you can see by my collection. I understand that a new Camaro is due to be released next spring, and it just so happens I'll be looking for a new car around that time. I'd love to buy another Camaro, and I'd love to buy it from a dealer that'll go the extra mile for their customers. Now, I've corresponded with people who've had this exact repair covered by some dealers that seem to know of a loop hole. I'd really appreicate it if you'd see what can be done in my case, because that would be all the more reason to bring me back here for a new Camaro next year..... knowing that you'll stand behind your customers and the product you're selling."

Hey, it can't hurt. And if one dealer won't help you out, try another. It's worked for some of us.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Teching In

That is a great idea! And thanks for the congrat's. Now if gas will go down I might be able to drive them now and then. Maybe the next thing i'll do is get a couple of F-Body clubs together and have them all cruise down to the dealer and ask for estimates on some sail panel warranty work. While there we could all test drive the new Corvette. Make a day of it.

Last edited by fbody396; 05-30-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

I just noticed some small ripples on the t-top said yesterday. I might just take it off and paint it black?

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies