Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Important repair information for sail panel paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Important repair information for sail panel paint issues

*I know there is a sticky for this, but thought it was important enough to post in the main part of the forum.

I just recently dropped my car off at my "local" Chevy dealer to get my sail panel and roof replaced on my hardtop 2002 Camaro. This came after about 6 months, numerous letters, phone calls, complaining, and an arbitration hearing between myself, GM, and Better Business.

After my arbitration hearing in February, the arbitrator found that the problem with the paint on our cars DOES fall within the 6 year/100,000 mile warranty provided to protect against paint corrosion. After the decision from the arbitrator was rendered, GM called me and told me to bring my car into any Chevy dealer that had its own body shop (which for me was about 40 miles away).

The full repair is being done on my car, complete replacement of the roof and a repaint. Below is a summary of how I dealt with the situation:

1: You must exhaust all levels of GM customer service. You have to tell them about the problem, get a case number, and they will deny your repair.

2: File a claim with the BBB.

3: Next level of GM customer service calls you because of BBB contact.

4: BBB may deny your claim stating its out of their jurisdiction. You must appeal to the BBB in writing and claim that GM is not honoring their 6year/100k paint protection warranty. I guess you could also cite my case number as I had to do this to get the ball rolling again.

5. BBB accepts your appeal, you go to arbitration between you, a GM district service rep, and a lawyer working volunteer for the BBB.

The way I argued my case was by showing the threads from ls1tech.com and ls1.com dealing with the sail panel problems. I showed them the technical service bulletins and stated that GM was covering up the problem because no letters were ever sent out and GM does not make the service bulletins available to the public. No letters were ever sent to the customers and dealers don't inform the owners. If you don't bring your car to the dealer for service, GM will argue that they could have told you about the problem at that time. My counter argument to that was that the terms of the warranty does not require that you bring your car into a dealer for maintenance. I told the arbitrator that my problem should be covered under the 6 year/100k paint warranty and the original warranty since I was never informed of a problem, and the problem itself is so subtle that it almost looks like normal road damage. Not until the problem got worse, did I think their was a real issue, and by that time I was already out of warranty.

I will post my case number and papers that the BBB sent me in hopes that it will help you guys out. I know that the 00, 01, and some 02 cars may already be out of warranty. But it may help you with the BBB or small claims if you were initially denied the repair and it turns out GM should have paid for it in the first place.

Finally, do not let GM try to bully you. They called the day before my arbitration and tried to make me accept a deal because they told me I was going to lose (which was to make my extended warranty deductible go from being $100 to $0). After laughing that off I told her I'd see her at the hearing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GM0001.pdf (152.8 KB, 358 views)
Old 03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job. Ya mine was covered under the 6 year corrosion warranty. (not without alot of hassle) Got mine fixed from a Pontiac dealership that had NO bodyshop. They subleted it out to a local bodyshop they use to fix body/paint issues. Most dealerships should do this.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

It's good that you finally got your issue resolved - too bad you had to go to all the trouble you did to have anyone take action.

Only problem is, the 6yr/100,000 warranty is all but up for just about everyone by this time (I assume it is whichever comes first - which would be the end of this year for everyone) Those with 01's and earlier are already SOL
Old 03-17-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah you're right. But I think you would be able to take this to small claims and argue that if GM initially turned you down, it turns out that they were responsible after all and should still be since they were wrong initially. Or it might be useful for people who have had it repaired that went to GM and were told they had to do the repair out of their own pocket.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Default hmmm

wow thats a big hassle... i hate that my sail panel looks like crap. i was wondering if theres a way to replace it yourself? like take one from a junkyard that doesnt have the "leprosy" yet and cleaning it really well sand it down and replace it on your own car with a different glue? what do you think? Assuming you know something about body work
Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any pics of before and after??
Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28voodoo
wow thats a big hassle... i hate that my sail panel looks like crap. i was wondering if theres a way to replace it yourself? like take one from a junkyard that doesnt have the "leprosy" yet and cleaning it really well sand it down and replace it on your own car with a different glue? what do you think? Assuming you know something about body work
I honestly don't think you could, they pretty much have to destroy the top to get it off. The body shop manager drove me back home and we had a conversation about the problem. Basically, he said the problem is with the roof itself breaking apart and cracking. Whether or not its from the glue causing the cracks in the fiberglass or the top being manufactured incorrectly is up for debate.

It was a hassle, but I love my car, love how it looks, and this problem was destroying that. The guy actually told me mine was one of the worst he had seen.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
any pics of before and after??
I don't have any before pictures, its hard to get a shot of because you can really only see it in the glare of the sun. I'll show some afters though when I get it back later in the week.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm super pissed about my sail panel's bubbling. I bought my car in October 2006 with no flaws in the sail panel. Right before I put it away for temporary winter storage 4 months ago, I noticed the bubbling. Obviously I am out of the 6 year/100k warrenty by now.

Think there's anything I can do about it? I just don't understand how GM could limit this TSB to just a limited time when they have obviously acknowledged that it is an issue. So aggrivating.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Teching In

what is the TSB number? im going to call chevy and i need the number
Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The TSB # is 03-08-98-001A, the document ID is 1283933.

Good luck, when I called they claimed to not have it in their system. You have an 02 so you should be able to get this fixed like me. Let me know if you need help with something.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
The TSB # is 03-08-98-001A, the document ID is 1283933.

Good luck, when I called they claimed to not have it in their system. You have an 02 so you should be able to get this fixed like me. Let me know if you need help with something.
Thanks, I just called them back, when I called to make an appt. for an inspection, I told him about it and it sounded like he had no idea what I was talking about.

I gave him the numbers and he is going to find out what needs to be done to the panel. He seemed suprised that I found it. I won't be able to bring the car in, for about 2 weeks though. It is not isnured or registered for the upcoming season.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job....I have a 00 WS6 with 47k on it and I have not noticed any issues yet, I hope I never have this problem.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ccusum
Thanks, I just called them back, when I called to make an appt. for an inspection, I told him about it and it sounded like he had no idea what I was talking about.

I gave him the numbers and he is going to find out what needs to be done to the panel. He seemed suprised that I found it. I won't be able to bring the car in, for about 2 weeks though. It is not isnured or registered for the upcoming season.
I have attached the TSB to this post.

You may want to show him the documents I put in this thread originally if they do not want to do the repair. Better Business told GM this problem needs to be covered under the 6 year/100k warranty, that should be enough leverage.
Attached Files
Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

NICE dude, i was waiting for someone to pull up these threads to show how serious this problem really is!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
NICE dude, i was waiting for someone to pull up these threads to show how serious this problem really is!
Thanks. I actually just got my car back. They had it for a week and a half. They have to take the windshield and the rear hatch off and when they put my rear hatch back on they scratched the new top . So they had to fix that then get the windshield back on which I heard is kind of a pain.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there no hope for those of us that have a car more than 6 years old?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like everything i went through. I called sent letters to GM and the BBB. It just takes time to get it fixed. I also told the BBB about these threads and they read them and didnt like it. But GM should cover this but to be fair. If a car is not well kept and in very poor condition shouldnt be covered but thats discriminating. Hell i had 2 replaced.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I agree that a trashed car shouldn't be covered but rock chips shouldn't be held against a person. I can't help it that the PA DMV is a bunch of jackasses and take poor care of the roads.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
Sounds like everything i went through. I called sent letters to GM and the BBB. It just takes time to get it fixed. I also told the BBB about these threads and they read them and didnt like it. But GM should cover this but to be fair. If a car is not well kept and in very poor condition shouldnt be covered but thats discriminating. Hell i had 2 replaced.
Good lord. I know exactly what I would be thinking if I found out another one of my cars had the problem........God Damnit!!! But at least the second time around I know exactly what I would do. Doing it the first time was such a learning process, almost gave up but the BBB would not leave me alone.

Quick Reply: Important repair information for sail panel paint issues