Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Important repair information for sail panel paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Pretty sure GM offered everyone extended warranties that would cover the paint longer, I know they tried hard as hell to sell it to me. If you opted not to get it, why would you sue them?
Because the extended warranty does not cover paint, thats why. I do have the extended warranty by the way.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do offer some kind of extended paint protection.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
They do offer some kind of extended paint protection.
The paint protection warranty is 6 years / 100k miles. It was written and intended to protect against corrosion of sheet metal. Some people (like me) have been able to use this to get this bubbling problem taken care of. If GM had offered some kind of extended warranty for paint that you could buy when you got the car, they would have used it against me in arbitration, since they used just about every other tiny detail against me.

I was also never asked at the three dealers I brought this to whether or not I had purchased any paint warranty from GM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I just wanted to let everyone in the St Louis area know, I just got the Hawk back today and it looks great. Lou Fusz Pontiac fixed the roof panel for free, no questions asked.

Took 2 days to get the materials and the car was in the shop for 3 days.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Has anyone ever tried having the roof and sail panel gel coated like bodyshops do on some corvette's?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Ok im sure this was probably brought up a few times but going through all the posts takes a while and since its partially on subject I thought I would just ask....My camaro is well over 6 years old and has some bubbling on the hardtop to where the clearcoat is coming off....is it possible to just repaint the hardtop??
Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FormulaZ
Ok im sure this was probably brought up a few times but going through all the posts takes a while and since its partially on subject I thought I would just ask....My camaro is well over 6 years old and has some bubbling on the hardtop to where the clearcoat is coming off....is it possible to just repaint the hardtop??
Its been tried so many times, but I have never heard a success story. The new paint always gets the same problem. Its a problem with the panel itself, it has to be replaced. Some people, who are much handier than I am, have been able to replace the top on their own. But it is a mess and I would not recommend going about it on your own unless you have some skills. I think you might be paying for this on your own, look to pay ~2500 for a hardtop and ~800 for a ttop.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FormulaZ
One other way you may be able to get this done is if you take it to a dealer you know, or bought a car from, or someone who has been fixing this problem. Some dealers do it no questions asked, others like the people in my area are lame and won't help you. Its a roll of the dice.

Quick Reply: Important repair information for sail panel paint issues