Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does the ultra z look like?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nope, don't like the Ultra Z. It has the same problem as the factory Ram Air hood, it is too tall in front and tapers back. From the side profile, it hurts the flow of the lines.

I can't delete the plate hole because TX requires a front plate. I got around that by mounting a modified plate to the air dam, but you never know if a cop decides it is not enough.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think any of those pictures looks absolutely sweet, and cheers to you for doing something custom to the stock look! I really like that.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Thats more like what I was talking about. It just seems to flow better w/ the lines vs having them stuck right in the middle. I think you're onto something in the nose w/ the point, I just think the hood needs a lil something else. What exactly....I dunno.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

the last one I think would look sick with a ram air hood and without that little point on the front. I would buy a hood like that in a second
Old 07-06-2005, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

what kind of software do you use for your computer?? to be able to do this kind of stuff
Old 07-06-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Probably photoshop, but if not some other photo-editing software that allows people to cut and paste other images together.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

i like the last idea....looks real good with the vents off to the side
Old 07-06-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLACKBIRD8200
what kind of software do you use for your computer?? to be able to do this kind of stuff
Try this, it's free.

http://www.gimp.org/
Old 07-06-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

How about louvers on the side like the last pic, without the extra bulge, with the nose filled in. I think it would look great, obviously be custom, and be easier to do without having fitment issues.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLACKBIRD8200
Good old Adobe Photoshop 7. It is pretty expensive if you buy it, but it can be downloaded for free, if you catch my drift.

GIMP may be a good program, but why use a clone when you can get the industry standard for free?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was just toying with the idea of how cool it would be to use one of my favorite blower scoops on my car. The old Hilborn shotgun style scoop.

I did a couple of pics just to get an idea. I can't have it sticking too high because it blocks your view so I thought about sticking the top half of it out of the hood. I could make a depression in front of it so you see the whole thing from the front, but since they are so expensive, I doubt I'll ever get one. Here are a few pics for your amusement. I know you've never seen anything like this before.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Badass! That just screams power.
BTW where in Htown are you?
James
Old 07-29-2005, 03:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

You know, that might actually be feasible. It would just be for looks, I don't think I could use it for an air cleaner or anything. I can't afford the actual Hilborn unit as they are pretty pricey ($300-$450). I could make a duplicate from steel tubes, though. I don't have a TIG welder, only a MIG, so I can't work with aluminum or stainless. I figure I could weld it up and have it chromed for not too much $. I could probably attach an old EGR valve to the inside to make the butterflies (painted red probably) open and close with the throttle. I think it could be attached just like a shaker hood. How cool would that be to see it shake with the throttle and at idle? Or to see that coming up behind you.

I think I could do it once I get an extra hood to mess with. I'm glad somebody liked my idea, most of the time people can't deal with serious body mods.

I'm in the SE area, BTW.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Are you trying to make these vents functional, or more for looks? I remember there was a huge thread over on FRRAX about where to put hood vents for optimum performance.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

the smooth front end is best, the others look like those gay z3 fender flares that every ricer drools over
Old 07-30-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by felton316
Are you trying to make these vents functional, or more for looks? I remember there was a huge thread over on FRRAX about where to put hood vents for optimum performance.
They would be functional, but the location and shape was just for looks. I don't think I'll do any vents. I'm more focused on the blower scoop look. I've liked that old Hilborn Shotgun scoop since I was a kid and all the folks I know that I've showed the picture to all liked it. So I'm going to focus on doing that along with the pointy hood tip.

I'll be gettin an extra hood soon to play around with.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Launching!

The pic with the blower coming out looks AWESOME!

I'd go for that in a heartbeat! Throw a hood-tach with say, a vacuum pressure gauge and you're good to go.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BOBA_VETT
The pic with the blower coming out looks AWESOME!

I'd go for that in a heartbeat! Throw a hood-tach with say, a vacuum pressure gauge and you're good to go.
Glad you like it. It's just a scoop, not a blower, so do you think it would look like I'm being a poser? I guess most people would think blower. I don't really care. It looks good.

I just imagine seeing the back side of it shaking while going down the road. Should be badass from the drivers seat. I wouldn't run a tach on the hood, but maybe a shift light would look OK. I'd like to make the whole front of it visable, but may have to have just the top half sticking out. I'm going to have to move the MAF and stock filter box if I want to make the whole scoop more than 12" long. I'm sure it would look a bit stubby if it were 10" wide and only 12" long. If I move the air filter to the smog pump area like the LT1 cars, I could lengthen it more towards the front.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

I really like the one with the vents in the side of the hood...

Quick Reply: Custom Hood Mods