Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

VHT Nite Shades Write Up (Installation, Preparation)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RAIDER sorry for the insanely long delay but thanks for the compliment on my music. I just noticed that post.

I got mine somewhere online, and I'd swear they gave me 2 half empty cans. So I'd say stick with big name places like Summit. If the 10 dollar difference will make or break you, get a new hobby.

And yeah its a sticky in the hall of fame, lol. Too bad it seems few know about that thread.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:28 AM
TECH Resident

heres a dumbass question, is the paint on the honeycombs outside the lenses, or inside the lenses? it looks damn good dude!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the vht is sprayed on the outside
Old 04-03-2006, 03:38 AM
TECH Resident

tanks again NHRA...boy, i should just pm you if i am ever in a quandary. lol
Old 04-03-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about putting fish net or something down before you spray the nightshade to give texture, for camaros not so much trans ams
Old 04-03-2006, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

I use to have them on my car and loved them. But I found an acceptable way to cut a corner with our cars. I went to a hobby shop, bought 2 $5 cans of their smoked tint for RC car bodys. Put it on till my desired darkness, sanded it down with a fine grit, then clear coat. Came out literally without a single problem!

Sold them to my friend a couple months later, but he still has them and they still look great.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have to ask but have you been pulled over yet?

I was pulled over because I have clear corners on the front turn signals and the cop said its required to have amber reflectors on the front and red reflectors on the rear.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I havent been pulled yet.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
I have to ask but have you been pulled over yet?
I got a warning about my taillight covers once when I got stopped for speeding.

I got pulled over on my way to work one morning because of my rear license plate cover. I got a ticket for that and for illegally tinted windows, a warning for not having a front plate and a warning for having an expired inspection sticker. As I was signing the ticket, the cop finally noticed my taillight covers (I had my lights on when he pulled me over). He told me he'd let that slide this time, but to take them off.

I removed the tint, taillight covers, rear plate cover, and front plate insert. Got the car inspected. Got the whole ticket dismissed and put everything back on. No one ever noticed that my sidemarkers and CHMSL are all black. I'm going to get my windows retinted darker and install a kill switch.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a pic of a Z for ya. Did this couple days ago using this write-up. Props.

Last edited by todddchi; 04-07-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by todddchi
Here's a pic of a Z for ya. Did this couple days ago using this write-up. Props.

Nice exhaust Bro!

Old 04-07-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Saint, I'd like to request a small edit for clarity. I bought two cans of ns based upon this. I realize the Camaro lights are smaller, but I used one can and my **** is way darker than it should be. I have to assume the same thing would happen to TA guys using two, maybe even one if they spray evenly.

I don't have any problem with recommending two cans (better than running out) but people might figure they really need to use two cans.

I used one not even thinking about it, and they are darker than they really should be.

I just think maybe a little tiny edit mentioning some more detail to pay attention to the darkness might help. Once you got the stuff laid down it's pretty much a one-way street.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by todddchi
Saint, I'd like to request a small edit for clarity. I bought two cans of ns based upon this. I realize the Camaro lights are smaller, but I used one can and my **** is way darker than it should be. I have to assume the same thing would happen to TA guys using two, maybe even one if they spray evenly.

I don't have any problem with recommending two cans (better than running out) but people might figure they really need to use two cans.

I used one not even thinking about it, and they are darker than they really should be.

I just think maybe a little tiny edit mentioning some more detail to pay attention to the darkness might help. Once you got the stuff laid down it's pretty much a one-way street.

I'll toss it in there, but I ran out of the 2nd can without getting my desired darkness for my corners. So, lol. I guess its a luck of the draw sorta thing. Or i got hardcore ripped off.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For anyone that has used the Niteshades for a while. has it shown any signs of cracking over time?

I painted my side markers with spray paint and they looked good for maybe 2 years, but now the paint is either drying or the heat has effected them and there are small spider cracks in them. After waxing, the cracks are more visable.

Just wondering how the Niteshades will hold up over time.

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

fronts

rears
Old 07-03-2006, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

I had to use (2) cans on mine. But I did the center section also so the entire rear assembly would be matching. I did not to the reverse lights though. I masked them off & left them clear for better lighting. I also did the third brake light & all side markers. This week I'm wet sanding the rear & gettin the whole car buffed out. Here is what it looks like now. I also put on (5) coats of Dupont Truck/SUV Automotive clear coat on the rears.

W/O flash (sun is shining through b/c of time of day & angle car is parked)

with flash (gives you an idea how well cars behind you will still see you with their lights on)

Side
Old 07-03-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd hate to do all that work and then have the VHT start to crack over time.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

cant you just sand it off and do it again if it cracks? Or would it be hazy?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's at least a 4 day process, plus the masked off area is a lot of work to get right. It's not something you want to do twice.

I'm considering just removing the stock lights and molding in some oval vette lights.

If I have trouble grafting the new lights to the ABS plastic, I may just buy 4 new ones and use VHT on them.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

thats understandable it would be a bitch to get right but if you go into it knowing you may have to do it again in a couple years, would be okay with me.

Quick Reply: VHT Nite Shades Write Up (Installation, Preparation)