Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
View Poll Results: Does your car have roof bubbles?
No bubbles
35.19%
Bubbles fixed under 3/36 warranty
1.05%
GM paid for repairs out of warranty
2.96%
GM paid for part of the repairs out of warranty
1.05%
GM refused to pay for the repairs out of warranty
7.84%
I have bubbles but haven't stopped by the dealership
51.92%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got my car back from the dealer. They did a very good job. They have followed the bulletin religiously. They only put the roof panel a little bit far from the T-Tops so there is a small gap now between the T-Tops and the roof. However, it is hardly noticable. Overall, I am very satisfied about what GM did. They have accepted to do this job for free and without a fight on my 5.5 years old Camaro. Definitely, some dealers appear to be more generous than others. I was lucky...
Old 10-11-2006, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

I got mine back from the dealer today, '01 hardtop, it took them just over 24 hours to get it back to me. They did and awesome job. Same deal as posted above, it was done for free through the "paint warranty". Good luck to everyone who has pending issues with GM over this.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

i am trying to find a dealer in the lawton , oklahoma area to install my top anyone have any recommended shops
Old 10-12-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: I got my car back with the new painted roof and walked away with zero cost to me. If anyone is in the VA/DC/MD area, PM me and I'll give you the details of who I went to.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the panel is installed with the same compound glue as the windshield.....the triangles did were serpate but were orderd with the top peice due to the fact that they are held on by a really strong double sided tape and once you basically pry them off they are gonna look like crap....the triangles and the new top piece plus all the labor and paint was free cause of the tsb....i wish u all lived in laredo i could see if i could help you all out, any other questions i'd be happy to answer......i wouldnt recommend buying the used roof panels...if the are new then buy them...but since they are used and already painted from the factory...they are prolly gonna be prone to bubbleing sooner or later
Old 10-13-2006, 04:52 AM
Teching In

I've got one little tiny bubble, but to be honest, it could be just a chip in the paint. It's so small that i can't tell what it is.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wdtiger
I've got one little tiny bubble, but to be honest, it could be just a chip in the paint. It's so small that i can't tell what it is.
That's what I thought mine was at first. Trash in the clear coat. Then I noticed a couple more popping near the original one. In the process of having mine and my sons cars fixed by GM.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Best deal I could get was $450 from one dealer and the run around from the others. I got them to throw in some scratch and dent repair, so I went with the $450 deal. Gm knows it's their fault bastards.. This should be a recall. My 01 hardtop stripper was bubbling in the shade, sun and in the garage... I can only imagine what that car would look like 3 years from now.

Jump on this quick they aren't going to pay in full or half for much longer
Old 10-19-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, GM has screwed me royally. They only will offer me 50/50 which from the dealer quote is 600 out of pocket for me. I cannot afford that! This is such crap. I am done with GM, they have lost me as a customer, I am not purchasing another GM vehicle ever, and will not be getting the new camaro. Looks like I have to defect to a brand that treats there customers right so they come back.

I hate to say this, but I hope the new camaro flops, and gm goes belly up becuase of it.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=frey51]Well, GM has screwed me royally. They only will offer me 50/50 which from the dealer quote is 600 out of pocket for me. I cannot afford that! This is such crap. I am done with GM, they have lost me as a customer, I am not purchasing another GM vehicle ever, and will not be getting the new camaro. Looks like I have to defect to a brand that treats there customers right so they come back. [QUOTE]

^^^^^
Yup, me to
Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Update: I got my car back with the new painted roof and walked away with zero cost to me. If anyone is in the VA/DC/MD area, PM me and I'll give you the details of who I went to.
Sent you a PM.

Thanks
Bryan
Old 10-19-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frey51
Well, GM has screwed me royally. They only will offer me 50/50 which from the dealer quote is 600 out of pocket for me. I cannot afford that! This is such crap. I am done with GM, they have lost me as a customer, I am not purchasing another GM vehicle ever, and will not be getting the new camaro. Looks like I have to defect to a brand that treats there customers right so they come back.

I hate to say this, but I hope the new camaro flops, and gm goes belly up becuase of it.
Dude, you have a 2000 so it's still covered under the 6 year rust through protection. Just find another dealer.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm also thinking that this a problem EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE 1998+ fbody will experience at some point in the future if it has not happened yet.[/QUOTE]

Yup, only a matter of time.

My 2000SS was purchased in May so they are saying, "Nope, outta warranty". I was told to go pound sand in Texas already so I didn't have much faith in this PA stealership anyway.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been through 4 GM customer service reps and a body shop that is part of the dealer in which I work. Nobody wants to do anything. I can't even get a c/s rep to call me back when they say they will. This is bullshit. The body shop won't cover it because the district warranty rep won't approve it. So I guess I am screwed. But Chevrolet lost another good customer because of this.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

ive got 2 lil ones i
hate it...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Their dealer network is the worst!! I went to six over this roof deal . From the exploding rear-end after 5k miles to the piston slap, oil consumption etc... and now having to "make a deal" on another one of their defects, I'm done with GM. The service after the sale is abysmal. Fu** them.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Dude, you have a 2000 so it's still covered under the 6 year rust through protection. Just find another dealer.
its a 2002, and rust through dosnt matter. I got the same freakin answer from both dealers and their reps, along with Customer service.

The camaro has a fiberglass roof which does not rust, so this cannot be covered under this portion of the warrenty. Not to mention that when they mean rust through, they mean it. No bubbles or anything, it has be all the way through the sheet metal.

In other words GM can kiss my *** and rott in hell for all I care. How can a company with money issues expect to stay afloat if they treat their customers this way. This is why I despise corporate america.

Oh, and btw, I filed with Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau. I am sure nothing will come of it, especially since the BBB office handling my claim is out of Southfiled MI. Thats great huh, I am sure that BBB office gets its pockets lined to avoid these such events.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe we all should find some way to get 60 Minutes involved, or some other National News show. That would put a fire under GM if the entire country knew they did this. i mean it is pretty much hidden from the public except for us enthusists who treat are cars better than our girlfriends.

Any thoughts or ideas, leads, etc.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

i am taking mine to get fixed today hope to have it next week
Old 10-20-2006, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

The camaro has a fiberglass roof which does not rust, so this cannot be covered under this portion of the warrenty. Not to mention that when they mean rust through, they mean it. No bubbles or anything, it has be all the way through the sheet metal.
They fixed mine under the rust thru after the 3 year/36,000 was up. Try someone else. I was gonna pay to have it done myself, I didn't complain this much about it.

Quick Reply: is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?