Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

CETA Bumper: A How To

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for pulling this out of the bottom of the bag, but im wainting to do this, and i noticed in the write i didnt see if you said if it was necesary to roughin up the paint with sand paper or something before priming/painting? i may have missed it somewhere sorry if i did
Old 04-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=kraaazymike;4934872]
Step 2: Preping the bumper
You need to sand rough the area to be painted with your coarser sandpaper. Not all the way down to the plastic, but just enough to get the surface rough. The idea is to give the primer a surface to stick to.

So I have started the sanding of the bumper, but I am confused on how deep to go. I know I need to get through the clear coat, but do I need to get through the original paint and down to the old primer or what?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Really no need for sand paper. Just use a red scotch brite and make sure there aren't any shiny spots.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=ws6onSLICKS;11412907]
Originally Posted by kraaazymike
Step 2: Preping the bumper
You need to sand rough the area to be painted with your coarser sandpaper. Not all the way down to the plastic, but just enough to get the surface rough. The idea is to give the primer a surface to stick to.

So I have started the sanding of the bumper, but I am confused on how deep to go. I know I need to get through the clear coat, but do I need to get through the original paint and down to the old primer or what?
actualy, you do not want to even go through the clear coat. the only thing you are doing is ruffing it up. just run it over and make it rough, do not go all way down to the paint. i just did this and will post pix tonight!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

more pix to come later... taken with my phone in the parking lot of my work....

Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i want to do this to my red ws6 but i wana do gunmetal
Old 07-14-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to bring up an older thred but i just did mine and some how screwed it up,
i followed the write up and everything went good even the primer, but i think the paint fucked up..... there are lines in the paint!!!!!!!!!

so what kind of paint should i use????? ill def be redoing this
Old 07-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Teching In

I am using U-POL for a few applications including the CETA bumper. It seems to be giving me great results. It is quite a bit more expensive than other brands but seems to be worth it. You can get it at tcpglobal.com.

I am using their Black Gloss and High Gloss Clear on my side door molding. Looks great so far. Came out way better this time than when I used the cheaper stuff. The Clear Coat Gloss is amazing. My side molding matches the fenders and qtr panel pieces that came prepainted. And I had to do this twice-so I am sold on U-POL.

For the CETA bumper I bought the Dark Gray High Build Primer and the Satin Black. The spray on this is far more intense/pressurized than other cheaper brands. Just my opinon. I have been doing alot of painting and I notice a difference.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks for the tip
Old 07-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Teching In

I have not done the CETA yet. I am doing it nexyt weekend. OK got alot of help from NHRA-TRANS-AM.

So I bought ramps; and, I am backing the car up on these HEavy Duty Service ramps with 15 inch extenders. That gives me enough clearance to do this withour removing the bumper.

I have blue painters tape. I am using 3M tape Masking Film to mask off the rear of the car and the exhaust. I have these canvas covers for the wheels to protect them from overspray. I have wet sanded that part of the bumper with 1500 grit sanding block. Then using the Dark Gray High Build U-POL primer(the slightly lighter primer should make it easy for me to see I have complete coverage with the paint)-then will wet sand it with 1500-2000 grit sanding blocks (usibg blocks to avoid pressure poits in the sanding). Then using the Satin Black U-POL paint. I am not going to clear coat-to avoid gloss-and decided against semi-gloss paint because of the highs and lows I could get.

I will take some pucs and post when I get it done...BUT I REALLY REALLY REALLY THINK that U-POL will make a big difference...and thew accelerant-well it is like a spray gun...the action of the accelerant mimics a spray gun...so the spray is nice and fine...no globs-blobs-runs...I really think it will make a difference.

Well, I hope it works as well as I anticipate...took alot of plannng and alot of research about paint and sanding and technique...and alot of detailed information from posts up here on LS1tech and from NHRA-Trans-Am to get ready to do this....NOW I AM CONFIDENT IT WILL BE GREAT
Old 12-03-2009, 04:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm about to do this but have a couple questions....

1. the 'barbed' clips... sounds like the ones that always come apart when i take them out, will i need to buy more? if so, which ones?
2. as has been asked before, what paint? i don't have access to a spray gun, so is there a good rattle can? (whats the one mentioned, from home depot)
Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pheer
i'm about to do this but have a couple questions....

1. the 'barbed' clips... sounds like the ones that always come apart when i take them out, will i need to buy more? if so, which ones?
2. as has been asked before, what paint? i don't have access to a spray gun, so is there a good rattle can? (whats the one mentioned, from home depot)
Barbed Fittings: I discovered, quite by accident, that you can buy them in packages of 2 at LOWE's.

Go to their specialty screws/fittings section. Look at the drawers they have. There are some red drawers with Specialty Automotive (the writing is in Spanish). They have a huge selection of Barbed Fittings for various vehicles. They are labeled, GM, Ford, Nissan, etcc... .

Just bring in the one you broke and match it up. The one you need is the medium size (if you look at what they have). It is not critical that you get an exact match. All of them will fit those holes under the bumper (look at the barbed end of the fitting-same diameters different depths/lengths). I found that out because I used one with a smaller head and it fit just fine

O'Reilley's (AKA-All O'Reilley's in Illinois are called Murrays-They answer the phone O'reilley's sign says Murrays) have Duplicolor. I like the Semi Gloss.

IMO, the very best paint I have ever used is U-POL. They have the very best High Gloss I have vber used. You can buy U-POL at tcpglobal.com. IMO best place to order spray paint from because I have never received a bad can, they specialize in automotive paint and supplies, and they have excellent customer service/support.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alpha-Omega
Barbed Fittings: I discovered, quite by accident, that you can buy them in packages of 2 at LOWE's.

Go to their specialty screws/fittings section. Look at the drawers they have. There are some red drawers with Specialty Automotive (the writing is in Spanish). They have a huge selection of Barbed Fittings for various vehicles. They are labeled, GM, Ford, Nissan, etcc... .

Just bring in the one you broke and match it up. The one you need is the medium size (if you look at what they have). It is not critical that you get an exact match. All of them will fit those holes under the bumper (look at the barbed end of the fitting-same diameters different depths/lengths). I found that out because I used one with a smaller head and it fit just fine

O'Reilley's (AKA-All O'Reilley's in Illinois are called Murrays-They answer the phone O'reilley's sign says Murrays) have Duplicolor. I like the Semi Gloss.

IMO, the very best paint I have ever used is U-POL. They have the very best High Gloss I have vber used. You can buy U-POL at tcpglobal.com. IMO best place to order spray paint from because I have never received a bad can, they specialize in automotive paint and supplies, and they have excellent customer service/support.
all i can find on tcp is cans for spray-guns.... i can't seem to find any rattle cans for anything aside from primer...

EDIT: found the paint from u-pol's site.... how many cans would i need for this?

Last edited by pheer; 12-04-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Teching In

all i can find on tcp is cans for spray-guns.... i can't seem to find any rattle cans for anything aside from primer...

EDIT: found the paint from u-pol's site.... how many cans would i need for this?
Try this place: www.autobodystor.com see attached link

http://www.autobodystore.com/ms5.shtml

Oh and I guess I misnderstood your question. i thought you were looking for cans of spray paint. That is why I recommended TCPGlobal. MY BAD
Old 12-06-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i used krylon semi gloss, and it came out great.

its been said time and time again, ITS ALL IN THE PREP AND SANDING take your time sanding it smooth with no rough spots.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Teching In

I am so sorry, hvae been distracted last few days. I just saw your edit. Just read your edit. Glad you found the paint on their site. And I highly recommend them.

Buy 2 large cans (12 oz) just to be sure. You will probably use 3/4 of a can. If you are going to use small Duplicolor cans (5-6 oz) get 3; but, you will not use it all.

It is always a good idea to get a little more than you need in case you have to do it twice like I did
Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

heres my Formula Hawk with a satin black CETA. PONTIAC is painted in the same satin black.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres mine i did while i was fixing the car. I didnt take the bumper off, prime, or seal, but i did it with a gun and dupont base/clear..did the tails too

Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Launching!

why do a lot of you recommend semi-gloss instead of gloss? I feel like Gloss would look nicer? thoughts..
Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
why do a lot of you recommend semi-gloss instead of gloss? I feel like Gloss would look nicer? thoughts..
Because it mimics the orignal CETA done on the CETA Edition in 2002. The high gloss looks good and many people have done it. There are a number of postings on www.ls1.com from people who have done the CETA bumper mod using high gloss.

Personally I prefer the semi-gloss for my TA. It matches the finish on my SS with black center etch ovelays...Also, I removed my side molding and replaced it with high gloss black...so that is enough gloss on the car...It is kind of a matter of balance.

Quick Reply: CETA Bumper: A How To