Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Full repaint questions - engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Full repaint questions - engine bay

Wondering if anyone has gone through a full repaint (to another color) and if so what did you/the painter do about the engine bay? I want a good paint job, going from red to silver, but I don't really feel like pulling the engine if I don't have to. Is it possible for them to do a decent job with it still in the car? Not looking for SEMA quality work, but don't want to be looking too ghetto, either.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way to get a truly good job done in the engine bay is to pull everything out. Otherwise, it's VERY hit and miss, and will look rather tacky. What do you have that's red? Did I miss something? lol
Old 11-27-2006, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

you will need to pull the engine to make it look good, no way around it!! or at least all the little bullshit bolted to the fenders
Old 11-27-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been told by two painters that if i wanted to change my car color from black to white...to jsut buy a new car, it would be cheaper..lol.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UAZ28SS
The only way to get a truly good job done in the engine bay is to pull everything out. Otherwise, it's VERY hit and miss, and will look rather tacky. What do you have that's red? Did I miss something? lol
93 formula about to hit the knife, bigtime.

The engine has to come out one way or another, I guess I have my answer (send it to paint before it goes back in).

Will the body shop take care of pulling off all of the trim or should I do that myself too? I'm going to be pissed if I get the car back and areas under the stock weatherstripping are poking out in red...
Old 11-28-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keliente
93 formula about to hit the knife, bigtime.

The engine has to come out one way or another, I guess I have my answer (send it to paint before it goes back in).

Will the body shop take care of pulling off all of the trim or should I do that myself too? I'm going to be pissed if I get the car back and areas under the stock weatherstripping are poking out in red...
if I were you, i'd do it, just so you know its done right and you knwo where the parts are. i dropped off my 01 camaro to get my cracked door fixed. Got the car back, went to the track and while launching, the panel that holds the two window switches, door lock/unlock and mirror switch popped out. The ******* forgot to put the second clip in that helps hold it there! So, now I need to look through junkyards to find a stupid clip becasue i should have done the install myself, moral of the story, don't let them take everything off, unless you don't need it.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the more u strip the better job u get, i jsut did coler change on 94 ta i striped the, doors off the car, front clip rear hatch wing mouldings door handles interior etc, basically a bare shell, was it worth it now that its doen yah but the month it took to do no
Old 11-28-2006, 04:31 AM
Teching In

the advantage about having a black car is that u can just leave the engine bay black and it'll still look alright with the exterior of the car painted another color!! I thought about painting my car that Cadillac Pearl White or something like Sunset Orange Metallic and just leaving the engine bay black!!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1_FAST_MARO
the advantage about having a black car is that u can just leave the engine bay black and it'll still look alright with the exterior of the car painted another color!! I thought about painting my car that Cadillac Pearl White or something like Sunset Orange Metallic and just leaving the engine bay black!!
wow, that isn't a bad idea. I was planning on getting my car redone, just the outside next summer cause the paint is really shitty. I think the white with black engine bay would look really good. thanks for the idea.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

If I were you I'd just keep it red. You know red is the color of sex right There's just too many parts that you and other people would notice a different color. Even if you paint the entire exterior including door sills and engine bay, you still have the underside that will be red. Unless done right, I'd say just keep it red. My .02
Old 11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brian2006
If I were you I'd just keep it red. You know red is the color of sex right There's just too many parts that you and other people would notice a different color. Even if you paint the entire exterior including door sills and engine bay, you still have the underside that will be red. Unless done right, I'd say just keep it red. My .02
I know, I know, the same thought has crossed my mind, especially since I am somewhat of a perfectionist...I really do not like red, though.

Unless I repainted it red with a charcoal colored top...hmmm....
Old 11-28-2006, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Kel, if you have a garage at the your house I would completly strip the car down and send it off to paint. It will be a pain to spray the engine bay with the motor still in, especially an LT1. I'm just a hobbiest but, I've found when spraying silver you need room to work if you want it to lay down nice. Also keep in mind overspray goes everywhere. By the time your done wrapping the motor right you could have it out. Another option would be to spray the enigine bay yourself with a semigloss black. You could also to the underside yourself.

If you want a complete color change done right (them stripping down the car) I'd bet most of the estimates you get will be well over $5K. Just to do the body and jambs would probrably be a few thousand for a nice job. Again, I'm just guessing.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Kel, if you have a garage at the your house I would completly strip the car down and send it off to paint. It will be a pain to spray the engine bay with the motor still in, especially an LT1. I'm just a hobbiest but, I've found when spraying silver you need room to work if you want it to lay down nice. Also keep in mind overspray goes everywhere. By the time your done wrapping the motor right you could have it out. Another option would be to spray the enigine bay yourself with a semigloss black. You could also to the underside yourself.

If you want a complete color change done right (them stripping down the car) I'd bet most of the estimates you get will be well over $5K. Just to do the body and jambs would probrably be a few thousand for a nice job. Again, I'm just guessing.
you have a beautiful car. nicely done.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Thank you.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have u gotten any estimates on what there goin to charge you ?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I recently got an estimate for a color change and was quoted $3700. That included the jambs, but not the engine bay.

Josh
Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats not that bad of a price really, What color to what color?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:22 PM
JUICED96Z

When my dad had his Porsche painted the body shop thought some rubber was metal and painted it silver and its not really parts you can get easy.

I would pull everything out that you don't want painted or to get over spray my mistake.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

for a shop id say 3700 isnt that bad at all, takes a lot more time then people realize and a decent amount in materials
Old 11-30-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the millions of hours people talk about go into the body prep, then a few hours of paint and then cooking it overnight..

Quick Reply: Full repaint questions - engine bay