Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

HOK or PPG Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
My paint chips very easily and all the way down to the base coat of the pewter. Now I have a problem of the pinstriping is pulling away from the flames or the flames are pulling away. Whatever it is there is now a 1/8" gap in a couple places on the hood. Also I dont think the painter put enough flex agent in because the slightest tap on my front gfx makes the gfx and into the bumper crack and actually peel in big pieces . The paint on the hood is just about 3 years old and I think it should hold up longer then that. THe painter has helpers do work and I think they did the last one...who knows but I bet he won't do anything about it. Im pretty disgusted with the work done

BTW Styker I have the paint code for the Porsche. It is Orangerot and it's L198
Yeah your paint should hold up much longer than that. The problems you describe can be for many reasons but the main one is the painters
If you are still needing some of that paint for touch up I can mix you up a batch. Not sure how much you are needing but I will most likely have to make at least 3 ounces to get an accurate color match for the color you are talking about.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
Thanks man! If it ever stops raining I'll post some outdoor pics... i have the wheels and tires on now too and I'm dying to take some pics.

My friend and I were talking about repainting my car and the color I should go with. He suggested a red similar to yours but I didn't care for the idea too much. After seeing your car I think I would really like to do something similar. I'll have to start looking at a book to pick the exact color I want
Old 01-06-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the sealer was on there for about 2 hours. unfortunately my base and sealer (and primer) are all white, so it sticks out like a sore thumb when there's a chip.

so when I go to touch up the back half of the car, how should I do it? Wetsand the whole half with 800, then mask the stripes (they're fine.) then paint the entire back and blend into the doors, then unmask and clear the whole back including the stripes? I'm kinda worried about it sticking out, but I dont want to repaint the whole car.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stryker14
Yeah your paint should hold up much longer than that. The problems you describe can be for many reasons but the main one is the painters
If you are still needing some of that paint for touch up I can mix you up a batch. Not sure how much you are needing but I will most likely have to make at least 3 ounces to get an accurate color match for the color you are talking about.
Thanks stryker. I am hoping when I call the painter next week he'll repair the flames but my guess is he wont. He's never done anything for free . I will be getting rid of that bumper with the gfx soon so that will be one of my troubles gone and this time a different painter doing the work. I'll PM you about the paint.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
the sealer was on there for about 2 hours. unfortunately my base and sealer (and primer) are all white, so it sticks out like a sore thumb when there's a chip.

so when I go to touch up the back half of the car, how should I do it? Wetsand the whole half with 800, then mask the stripes (they're fine.) then paint the entire back and blend into the doors, then unmask and clear the whole back including the stripes? I'm kinda worried about it sticking out, but I dont want to repaint the whole car.
Yep sounds about right except I would go with p600 grit and give your paint something to hold on to. 800 works most of the time but if you want a good mechanical bond without any sand scratches p600 is where its at. I will actually use p400 before I spray my sealer and base.
Since the car is still freshly painted I would just work out the bad areas finishing with 600 grit on the entire panel and then rebase and stripe the entire panel. If you feel comfortable blending the base you can do that as well but if its a recent job and an out of the can color you shouldnt have and color match issues as long as you spray the same coats as you did before.

Quick Reply: HOK or PPG Paint?