Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

repainted reds never come out correct?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you also have to rememeber that only you will notice something like that....no one else will most likely so dont beat yourself up tooooo much about it unless it is a terrible job...
Old 01-01-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sercastiK
to come out right u need a good match.period. fading is mostly from single stages not BC CC finishes, fwiw to paint the fender door or quarter without blending is being lazy.

J
amen! Some shops may be able to match the color dead on but once it leaves the booth its not up them what happens. If they bake it and let the paint sit it may last longer. Most shops paint it, let it dry and then wheel it out and get you out of there. They want to do the most jobs they can in a day. Red is actually more expensive than any other color as well(generally speaking) so they might not want to pay more and get cheap paint instead of top shelf. Bumper covers may not always match because of the flex additives and what not but just painting one 1/4 panel is insanely sloppy and will stick out like a sore thumb to anyone with an eye for body work.
Another thing is, since you know it was done you'll see it. A stranger might never notice it.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by azvforce
I had my entire front clip painted along with the rear bumper cover and hatch. The original 1995 paint is still on the doors and rear quarters. The paint match is PERFECT.

In this pic you can see the original 12yr old paint on the rear quarter and the new paint on the hatch and rear bumper cover.
http://www.azclubgp.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=1765
Ah hah!! SO it CAN be done......... hmmmmm........ Well, that just makes me more.......uhm...stressed that when I get it painted, I will not be happy. I am a perfectionist and a pain in my own ***.

Another thing is, since you know it was done you'll see it. A stranger might
never notice it.
Yea, I am keeping my fingers crossed until I can get it figured out, and, find a good color red that will "pop", as it has been called on here lol, like the original color with NO questions once the paint dries.

Last edited by csmc711; 01-01-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow... didn't realize that red was so tough... I was actually looking to go to my body guy in a couple weeks to get a few small things quoted. I have had a couple of my other cars to this guy, and the reason I will return to him is because his paint match is unreal. A lifetime warrenty on clear, fade, and paint defects.

I hope he can produce an excellent finish.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This guy is that good? Hmm, all I have to do is drive to cali, ehy?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Im having a hood painted and my front bumper as well. I know the painter very well and the body man very well. They were both telling me that they actually have dupont bring out a machine that they use and it tells what paint is needed to make the exact matching color. Then blending is used to make it look better. Anyone else ever heard of something like this?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know they have them at home depot for house paint and I am sure they have them for body shops but I dont think they get touted too much as I have heard that when they first started coming out on the scene, and this makes sence, the metallics would whack them out and make them useless. I guess because there are so many metallics out there now that it is just not feasable for a shop to buy one, as I am sure they are expensive. Someone now correct me since my data is like at least 10 years old, lol.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dang that really sucks. Glad my car is black. I was thinking of getting the back bumper and front nose piece repainted this summer....
Old 01-01-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shudog
Dang that really sucks. Glad my car is black. I was thinking of getting the back bumper and front nose piece repainted this summer....

Believe me, black can be screwed up very easily as well.

If it isn't matched correctly you can easily get a browner-looking paint job than the original panels. I have seen it happen on many black gm vehicles.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And you would think black would be..............well...........black. Hmm, I wonder if the world IS really round and not flat?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

wouldnt the base coating matter with the fading/color texture over time?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BitViper
Sounds like its a matter of skill...some painters have it..most dont

combination of that and combination of the brand/ quality of paints u use, i never once had a problem matching reds before, but u have to expect to not cheap out and pay for the blend work and the good materials. and like someone else said, there are sometimes 8 and 9 variances for one gm paint code, depending on where and when it was manufactured, and they all read the same gm paint code #
Old 01-05-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have this problem with my car. I had a stupid *** girl back up into my car with an old lifted pathfinder while it was parked in front of my apartment. I had to have my front bumper and hood repainted.

The body shop did a good job of painting the car, but the color didn't match up well. It is a darker shade, not noticable from about 10 feet but noticable in light and up close. This sucks big time.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if it would of blended out threw the tops and frotns of the fenders then recleared and bufed out the rest of the car unless the paints beat to death it should of matched fine
Old 01-07-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

my 98 ws6 car, the hood does not even match... not even close, a serious 3-4 shades darker, less orange than the rest of the car.

I want to get i repainted, but it won't match, and then it is aftermarket paint that doesn't match vs factory paoint that doesn't match.

Ryan
Old 01-07-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only way I got a 1/4 panel on one of my black gm cars to match was to get the bodyshop to spray out 5 or so paint cards with the different variances of that same black gm paint code. There were some real brown shades and some shades that were more grey and some more pure black shades. I picked the sample that matched my car's original paint the best in all light conditions and the result was perfect. No blending was necessary at all.

I think bodyshops just get lazy when it comes to matching and they don't want to consider the variances in the same paint code because time is money for them.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if something appears that it will need to be blended out to me, i let the customer know that its goin to cost extra to blend it to make it right,or if it dont match they cant be mad
Old 01-08-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sometimes it`s not that the red doesn`t match, but the texture of the paint on the repainted part compared to the factory part is different and your eyes perceive it as being 2 different colors when in fact the color is a perfect match. My factory ws6 car`s hood looks to be a different color than the rest of the car in certain lighting conditions. Examining closely reveals the fact that my car has orange peel from the factory in the clear coat. The hood doesn`t appear to have as much orange peel as the rest of the car. The hood appears to have been buffed from the aftermarket company that did the conversion on my car as the rest of the car wasn`t buffed. So, my eyes perceive it being 2 different colors. My car has never been repainted anywhere or buffed, other than the buffing that I have done to it.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On my black ws6 with original paint, the hood is definitely a browner black than the rest of the car. And every other ws6 I have seen has the same problem with mismatched hoods.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

They were both telling me that they actually have dupont bring out a machine that they use and it tells what paint is needed to make the exact matching color. Then blending is used to make it look better. Anyone else ever heard of something like this?
I know about it, and use it from time to time. Dupont calls it Chromavision. The cameras are very expensive but they work pretty well.

The different materials that the body panels are made of have an effect on the color also. Our cars are mixes of fiberglass, plastic, and metal which makes it harder to match in some cases.

Red is also a poor hiding color and the number of coats of base that are applied make a difference in the shade as well as the substrate that is being painted over.

Quick Reply: repainted reds never come out correct?