Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

repainted reds never come out correct?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverboy02
I know about it, and use it from time to time. Dupont calls it Chromavision. The cameras are very expensive but they work pretty well.

The different materials that the body panels are made of have an effect on the color also. Our cars are mixes of fiberglass, plastic, and metal which makes it harder to match in some cases.

Red is also a poor hiding color and the number of coats of base that are applied make a difference in the shade as well as the substrate that is being painted over.

I worked as a body man and some times painter, anc we would use the chromavision camera from time to time with some of the more difficult colors to match, but most of the time that ended up being just a starting point for us to fine tune the color....

I never really ran into problems with red unless it was metallic, but the worst two colors i have seen were the pewter, it has something like 13 alternates, and some Chrysler candy red that sucked to paint we eventually started refusing work on that color

The most important things in my opinion are an experienced painter, and a good quality paint, the only paint that i will put on my own vehicle is dupont, I have seen several other brands (ppg and hok) look like **** with in a year or 2 but i havent seen dupont deteriorate nearly as quick, and i have seen some 10 year old paint jobs that look showroom good on daily drivers

another thing to look for is a body shop that mixes their own paint because they tend to worry a little more about the match, and have a much easier time tinting the color than a shop that has to call a supplier for paint etc..
Old 01-10-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good inside info, thanks, and thanks to all that have responded. From what I gather, I have a lot of shopping to do, lol. Well, it should not be too bad if I am going to get the whole car repainted though, but still...
Old 01-10-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about your paint matching on your car. On my original-paint black 99 ta ws6, almost every black panel is a different shade of black/brown. The headlight covers, ram air hood, front bumper, rear bumper, hatch, doors, etc, all are a different color black. Just wonderful work GM. Mind you, the average person might not notice as easily but I am quite picky and noticed my checkerboard car.

Besides the exterior being a melting pot of blacks, it seems every piece of plastic inside the car is a different shade as well, and I mean every piece seems to be different than the one next to it, especially when looking in different lights or at a photo of the interior.

We didn't buy these cars for their consistency or reliability or quality. And if you did, SURPRISE SURPRISE to you.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:52 AM
Teching In

Any painter that is willing to call himself a painter can match your red. Red is not at all difficult to match. The chromavision will get it very close and a little blending followed by some wet sanding to match your factory orange peel it will be good as new.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

when I have mine repainted the body shop owner told me that there was actually several differnt shades of red for each year. The paint codes are usually the same but the actual ingredients are different. I had my entire exterior repainted and it matches the door jambs perfectly. Gotta find a body shop that knows what they are doing. I got lucky, mine was a fellow fbody owner and paints high end vehicles.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Gmc red has different variations with the same paint code go to your local paint dealer and get them to scan your car a computer will find your combination, also blending of adjecent panel sometimes will be necessary. I painted my rear quater panels and matched perfect, I blended the door edges, have a reputable body shop do it ant the results should be good. Red is just like any other color, but it is the most expensive color.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

for one you need to blend any panel next to the one youre painting to ensure a color match and bumpers and fenders dont alway match because there plastic theres something about plastic that throughs the color of even if you seal it
Old 01-15-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How little blending can you get away with or need to do, for appropriate blending?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

depends on the color and how much room you have if youre blending onto a hood or door the firt coat take approx. 6-8 inhes, 2nd take it out another 6-8 and same for the third coat but make sure you fan out the paint dont just go so far and stop or you wont accomplish anything. now say you are painting a hood and want to blend the fenders do the same thing just less inches and be carefull not to get to much around the front of the door or then your fender to door wont match
Old 01-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Intimidator SS
Red and blue are a pain in the neck to match.

Try to match yellow... Now if that wont make ya cuss nothing will
Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Red isn't that bad to paint what you guys don't realize is that not all paint manufactures paint matches each others. I use PPG at work, PPG's DBC alone has like 10 different variations of that color to choose from. Usually every painter has their variant that they use on a regular basis. Now comes the deal with the lighting, in the booth and shop everything can match dead nuts take it outside way off, cause the pigments in the base absorb different types of light differently. And most of the time, to be honest we don't have time to go out side and stand our head to see if the color doesn't match. Because our boss is all over our a$$ to get the rest of the cars we have done since he has 100 other people complaining that their complete rebuild wasn't done in 1 day.

And like silverboy02 said.........
"The different materials that the body panels are made of have an effect on the color also. Our cars are mixes of fiberglass, plastic, and metal which makes it harder to match in some cases.

Red is also a poor hiding color and the number of coats of base that are applied make a difference in the shade as well as the substrate that is being painted over."
Old 01-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

a lot of the problem is cheap paint. you guys say it looks more like a creamy red or has an orange cast to it? thats cheap paint. donahue and emoney- materials alone for your jobs( for good paint) probably cost $250, so that doesn't leave much for labor, so they probably used cheap paint and probably didn't blend. azvforce says his matched perfect, probablydone by a reputable shop that uses quality materials. and he probably paid more than $400 for it. you get what you pay for.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

like jdime said, to make it short u get what u pay for, quart of basecoat just good basecoat no clear sealer adhesion prometer etc is about 130 a quart
Old 01-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

I Was Talking With The Guys At English Color, They Informed Me That "torch Red" Has Seven Different Parts To It, And It Is Very Hard To Match. I Will Be Doing Some Work Myself-they Recommended That I Bring The Gas Lid For Them To Color Match The Paint, But In Mercury Vapor Lighting Almost Every Panel Is A Different Color Anyways From The Factory. The Whole Car Has Orange Peel Except For The Ss Hood And Spoiler. I'll Probably Repaint The Whole Car Soon As I'm Going To Paint The Black Strip Across The Top Red Anyways. I'd Also Like To Point Out That It's Important To Use The Expensive Clearcoat-don't Skimp Here. Cheap Clears Have A Tendency To Fade And Yellow Quickly.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

I work for DuPont and my last role was to make and shade OEM paint for Toyota plants. I can tell you that refinish paint only has a limited selection of tints to choose from. OEM has many to choose from. this includes AL and mica too.. Some of the pigments can look good in one light but look totaly different in different light conditions. just sun at 6pm compaired to noon can be verry different. If the formula was developed using artifical light to shade it, this can be part of the problem. Development costs are high and it takes a lot of time to shade a color. people always say to me that paint is paint but I will alwasy beg to differ... Lets say if the quality was the same, then I will pay more for the development of the color that maches better. rather then shop for a new red for your car, shop for a new supplier of the red you want. I would sudjust DuPont or the glass co. I think their name is PPD or something like that. Good Luck!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

The dodge dealer had my truck in 3 times to repaint the crappy match job they did on my door. There was supposedly 7 variations of the patriot blue. I finally settled and it still was a lil off. Brand new truck too. Only a couple weeks old.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

man that sucks.. i hate to hear all these stories. I had my right rear quarter panel repainted and it looks 100% factory. That was 5 months ago and still no problems, so i think i'm in the clear.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, here is my pic, tell me what you all, those that have read the thread of course, and tell me........just out of curiosity. Fender is natural but bumper is??? Od thing is that just below the front fender, the bumper looks okay, but, get past the fender and.............eeessssssh! Just a refelection from the good paint or a phenominon, lol?

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jwwgo/ph...804214724834/0
Old 02-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silverboy02
I know about it, and use it from time to time. Dupont calls it Chromavision. The cameras are very expensive but they work pretty well.

The different materials that the body panels are made of have an effect on the color also. Our cars are mixes of fiberglass, plastic, and metal which makes it harder to match in some cases.

Red is also a poor hiding color and the number of coats of base that are applied make a difference in the shade as well as the substrate that is being painted over.
PPG has the has the same thing. And in my experiance It has actually hurt the color match than anything.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got to thinking..... What does the car/chassis manufacture use for brand of paint???

Quick Reply: repainted reds never come out correct?