Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Can you paint over powdercoat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can you paint over powdercoat?

Can it be scuffed and shot or is it more difficult than this? Is there a special paint needed to adhere to it? Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. I'm curious as well.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

You can paint over powdercoat as long as it's prepared properly. I would wetsand with 220 or so grit and then primer and paint as normal. Also, if you really wanted to do it "right", then you could strip the powder with Aircraft Remover and go from there.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 01-07-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just scuff it and spray it like any other painted surface, primer is for filling purposes only.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

i always thought primer was to help the paint stick to the surface you are painting as well as being used for filling purposes.

Joshua
Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joshua32
i always thought primer was to help the paint stick to the surface you are painting as well as being used for filling purposes.

Joshua
Paint sticks to the surface in 2 ways:

Mechanically: Held by scuffing and sanding in which the paint gets a grip or bites into the surface.

Chemically: Each subsequent layer "melts" into the last layer and forms a bond. OR chemical adhesion can be attained through chemicals, of all things!!, through the use of an adhesion promoter like Bulldog.

Primer is used for a lot of reasons but mostly to cut down on the number of color coats that would be needed for full coverage and consistent color(that's why I suggested scuffing with a rough grit 220 and then priming), filling if it's high build primer, and yes adhesion if it's prep properly.

Remember there are tons of cars running around with only primer on them or in spots on them. The only way paint will stick to that primer will be to "rough" it up(mechanical) or to add some adhesion promoter into that base coat(chemical)

Bryan
parbreak

Quick Reply: Can you paint over powdercoat?