Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wrecked the SS this weekend:(

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007 | 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Wrecked the SS this weekend:(

Well after almost 9 years I wrecked my '98SS. It makes me sick...she only has 18,000 miles on her. The pavement was just too cold when I nailed it and it came around on me. I don't have any pics yet but I'm going to need two new front quarter panels and a whole new front fascia. My question is...do any of you know how to go about getting "original" GM parts? Since this is a numbered car I don't want to use any aftermarket parts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Trent
Old 01-29-2007 | 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure there are some places that bought alot of the GM parts if GM themselves isn't still selling them.
Old 01-29-2007 | 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

Check with the dealer would be my first suggestion. Are you going through insurance to have it fixed ? Might be worth your while once you factor in paint and bodyparts. If they are doing it, I would let them do the searching and make them verify that they used genuine GM stuff. GOod luck!

^^^^ your screen name and car are very similar to mine
Old 01-29-2007 | 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

copy cat lol
Old 01-29-2007 | 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for your input, Justin. I was able to get two teenagers to pull me out before the law showed up. If I would have been caught I would've been looking at a nasty wreckless driving ticket as well as an ugly insurance claim. I'm paying for this right out of my own back pocket.

The bigger problem I'll have is finding a reputable body-shop here in Hickory, NC that will do the job right and make her look just like she did from the factory!
Old 01-29-2007 | 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Finding a good shop is always tricky and you may have to take it a few miles to find one. Im sure someone on here could give you a good recommendation on where to go in NC.

That said, I beat you Justin00SS by a year lol. Good taste in name and car tho lol
Old 01-29-2007 | 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Oh, and one last thing Trent.

If you want to use Genuine GM body panels, your probably going to end up paying out the *** for this repair. Id be looking at roughly 2k+ to fix it assuming you didnt damage your hood. Insurance claims dont seem to be as bad as most people think. Most of the time I dont think they even raise your premium due to just one. Call and find out (anonymously of course)
Old 01-29-2007 | 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

i just did the same thing, i had to replace hood, both fenders and the bumper cover, around 3200 in parts, the hood alone from gm was 2200, the insurance paid for it so it wasn't bad, but i got all OEM parts from GM
Old 01-29-2007 | 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

I believe SLP carries OEM parts.
Old 01-29-2007 | 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

My experience (i'm getting my car back tomorrow, FINALLY) was the only part SLP sells for the 98-02 SS is the hood. I think it's about 1200 or so from them. The dealer is the place to go for parts......if you want a good deal on GM Parts, I would use Fred Beans. I'll ppost the number up because there are a few different numbers. They are on the East Coast somewhere if I remember right, and I'm all the way down here in Louisiana. So any way, the SS grill from SLP is like 280 something and they still have them in stock. Another thing you might consider is Year One, they have GM fit parts, the only thing is I don't know what their prices are compared to the dealers prices.
My experience with finding someone to do it was kind of tough. I took the check myself and went searching. I ended up getting a guy who did a really awesome job with a lightning, a few old F-series show trucks and a mustang. I've saw some of his body stuff, some BMWs and Z06s etc. So he had technical skills and was pretty fancy with the painting too.....so if you want bring it down here, he does a great job, I'm happy and it's been pretty hands free on my part. Man this is my two cents but I know it causes a little anxiety as far as getting what you want money and work wise, so good luck
Old 01-29-2007 | 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

What a heartbreaker Trent - I remember seeing your car at Tick Performance a few months ago and it is/was hands down the most immaculate SS I've ever seen.

Hopefully you'll get her fixed better than ever.
Old 01-29-2007 | 02:41 PM
Launching!

Default Body Shop

I used to live in Moorseville up until recently and had some body work done on my truck at Prestige Paint and Body Works this past summer and was not happy with it at all. I would stay away from there!!
Old 01-31-2007 | 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys. I found a shop with an owner who is as **** as I am about these cars. He picked it up on a roll-back yesterday and will assess the damage this morning. I'll find out around lunch time today what it's going to cost me.

Joey - It's good to hear from you. Jonathan read this thread and PM'd me. I'll get her looking as good as new!

Trent
Old 01-31-2007 | 06:40 AM
On The Tree

Hoping for as low a number as possible for ya! That sucks man.
Old 02-01-2007 | 07:08 PM

make sure that you get gm parts or they may not line up good and you will be very disapointed with the outcome of the rebuild
Old 02-01-2007 | 11:24 PM
Teching In

You should still be able to get them from your locla chevy dealer
Old 02-02-2007 | 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Thanks for the input guys...

I met with the body shop owner yesterday and was able to see some of the rides they have repaired. The work was top-notch excellent quality. He will be using nothing but original GM Parts. I needed a whole new front fascia, two new quarter panels, and a rear bumper cover along with all the other ancillary items. It's going to cost me several grand out of my back pocket but worth every penny IMO. The owner said his main objective was to get the car right back to its original condition

All parts will be fitted first and then removed to be painted seperately in the paint booth and then reattached. It should all be completed by Monday, February 12th.
Old 02-02-2007 | 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

man this woman almost totalled my car with her minivan yesterday, i really hope this isnt the beginning of a trend, like that whole hydrolocked ls1 epidemic...
Old 02-08-2007 | 03:49 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Actually I put my SS into a wall over the weekend driving up to New York, I was caught in the snow, changed lanes going over a bridge, put her sideways into the wall. Luckily I only need a rear bumper cover. These cars take shots to a rear like a good **** star, you can beat it up all day and still drive it around town. What would be a decent estimate for just a rear bumper cover replacement?
Old 02-08-2007 | 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Quick Reply: Wrecked the SS this weekend:(