Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Door Sagging Solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Door Sagging Solution

The driver's door on my '95 Formula sags...when closing it, you can hear and feel part of the bottom inside edge of the door hitting the inside rocker area. This sucks, and I'd like to fix it.

Are new door hinges available somewhere? Is that the proper way to address the problem? Is replacing them a major PITA?

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to know alsoo......
Old 04-08-2007, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

It's not that hard if you are use to doing body/repair work, but for the average Joe, it may be a pain in the rump. You will need to have a spring compressor for the spring, then unplug the wiring harness that runs into the door, and unbolt.

I have done them on the car, but better to take the door off. Sometimes it can be just one bad hinge, and not both, so inspect the problemed area first, to see what the exact issue is.

It's best to have a helper, but if you don't have that, you can use a floor jack and a 2x4 to rest the door on during removal.

Also, you should be able to order hinges at the dealer, or find some good used ones at a salvage yard for less money(although salvage parts obviously are used and may not last as long as new OEM ones will).

P.S. Tape the fender, edges of the door, and the rocker panel to avoid serious chipping of the paint while doing this procedure.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

its not the door thats sagging its your car, put on some subframe connectors and you will see a vast improvement.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I unbolted the bottom hinge and placed some washers in between the hinge and unibody, problem solved..
Old 04-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transambandit
its not the door thats sagging its your car, put on some subframe connectors and you will see a vast improvement.
I guess this might be true, but it is only one door that is doing it. I'd assume chassis sag would have a more even effect on each side.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
I unbolted the bottom hinge and placed some washers in between the hinge and unibody, problem solved..
Not a bad idea, thanks.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:29 AM
ggk
Launching!

replace the pins and bushings in the hinges that will get rid of all sag!
they are cheap but it is time consuming
Old 04-16-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a pin and bushing issue for sure
Old 04-16-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

open the door and lift up and down if u feel play in it then thats most likely the problem
Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not entirely true. My d/s door does not line up perfectly either. Put SFC on it, door still doesnt line up perfectly.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Never heard that one before. Yeah, but anyways I have done this repair many times on cars and trucks and a simple pin and bushing kit will solve your problem man. Just get someone to set the door off and set it on something like a plastic crate, that's what I use and you won't have to undo any of the wiring while you perform this process.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro477
Never heard that one before. Yeah, but anyways I have done this repair many times on cars and trucks and a simple pin and bushing kit will solve your problem man. Just get someone to set the door off and set it on something like a plastic crate, that's what I use and you won't have to undo any of the wiring while you perform this process.
just saw it the other day on an episode of horsepower tv, they were restoring a 74 nova and putting a sleeper engine in it, so they put on some subframes and they showed how it improved the sag on the car and how well all the gaps had fixed themselves and the doors lined up properly.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

just saw it the other day on an episode of horsepower tv, they were restoring a 74 nova and putting a sleeper engine in it, so they put on some subframes and they showed how it improved the sag on the car and how well all the gaps had fixed themselves and the doors lined up properly.
They also advertise for the tornado in between the episodes.

Why spend $300 when you can spend way less and get it fixed. As mentioned by others, he just has to pinpoint the problem area. This isn't a guess and check problem.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

big doors... lots of wear, damage gets done if the bushings wear out... then i wallows out the hinge pin hole... if that makes any sense... lol
Old 05-01-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where do I get a pin and bushing kits? I think I remember a while back going to the dealership and they said I had to buy the whole hinge. I dont think I need the whole hinge, just the pins and bushings, right?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96redcamaro
where do I get a pin and bushing kits? I think I remember a while back going to the dealership and they said I had to buy the whole hinge. I dont think I need the whole hinge, just the pins and bushings, right?

I believe the dealership only sells complete hinges, and not just the pin and bushing kits.

You can buy aftermarket pin/bushing kits at places like O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, NAPA, ect.. Although, we have used them at the shop, they are not as good as replacing with an OEM hinge. Alot of times these aftermarket kits are "universal", and are not as clean or fit as proper as the factory pins did. We have had to weld to fill in the pin holes to be tighter, or route out the holes and so on, to make them work correctly. Sometimes, the pins have even had to be trimmed as they were too long. You can make them work, but it's a hassle and not as clean in appearance as the factory hinges would look if you just replaced the hinge(although replacing the hinge/s will not be cheap). It's all a matter of preference, I guess.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Noel
I believe the dealership only sells complete hinges, and not just the pin and bushing kits.

You can buy aftermarket pin/bushing kits at places like O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, NAPA, ect.. Although, we have used them at the shop, they are not as good as replacing with an OEM hinge. Alot of times these aftermarket kits are "universal", and are not as clean or fit as proper as the factory pins did. We have had to weld to fill in the pin holes to be tighter, or route out the holes and so on, to make them work correctly. Sometimes, the pins have even had to be trimmed as they were too long. You can make them work, but it's a hassle and not as clean in appearance as the factory hinges would look if you just replaced the hinge(although replacing the hinge/s will not be cheap). It's all a matter of preference, I guess.
our hinges are not like that ..... you cant service them, they have been pressed and flared with a machine
Old 08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

any more info on this???
Old 03-28-2011, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

i would also like some more info on this item. My passenger door began to sag, and i was looking for the resolution to this issue!!

Quick Reply: Door Sagging Solution