Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Door Handle .... Tighten???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Door Handle .... Tighten???

I have noticed that my driver's side door handle is a little loose. It is to the point where on the top right corner of the handle, the paint has worn off. I was wondering if there is any way to tighten it, or take the looseness out of it so that it doesn't rub anymore.....any ideas???
Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

On my 95 Camaro both handles rattle. I looked at my 01 on which the handles do not rattle and are not loose and noticed a soft plastic insert that does not appear to be on the 95. The handles look identical otherwise. I'm thinking at some point the plastic insert has fallen apart and away. I have tried to get an answer about fixing this very junky situation on other boards with no luck.

I think I'll ask Dal Slabaugh if he can find some part numbers for the handle mechanism. I'd like to get around to fixing it but it would be good to get some more information first.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

I would take your door panel off and maybe the insulation on the door and find the mounting bolts, it could be loose, could put locktite on it.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
On my 95 Camaro both handles rattle. I looked at my 01 on which the handles do not rattle and are not loose and noticed a soft plastic insert that does not appear to be on the 95. The handles look identical otherwise. I'm thinking at some point the plastic insert has fallen apart and away. I have tried to get an answer about fixing this very junky situation on other boards with no luck.

I think I'll ask Dal Slabaugh if he can find some part numbers for the handle mechanism. I'd like to get around to fixing it but it would be good to get some more information first.
Yeah I have searched to no avail too. I would think other people have this problem too. I guess I will just hope for someone from a body shop to chime in....
Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Teching In

I have the same issue, I'm taking my panel off soon to attempt to tighten. Hopefully that's all it is.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 06TDI
I have the same issue, I'm taking my panel off soon to attempt to tighten. Hopefully that's all it is.
What is there to tighten?? I have had the door panel off recently to replace a window motor, but I didn't bother to look at the handle....
Old 05-04-2007, 05:22 AM
Teching In

I recently took my door panel off because my handle broke completely. Mine rattles on the drivers side only, turns out is was broken because of the small pastic piece mentioned above was dried out and snapped, but also the rod itself looked bent so I think thats why mine rattles. Could be the same as yours.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firebirdman469
What is there to tighten?? I have had the door panel off recently to replace a window motor, but I didn't bother to look at the handle....
With the panel off; there was nothing to tighten from my vantage. I tried bending the linkage to take up the slack but that only borked the operation of the latch. I ended up straightening the rod again. There needs to be some slack in the linkage for the latch mechanism to operate correctly. The rattle and looseness is solely in the exterior portion as far as I can tell. I still need to contact Dal about that plastic insert as it appears to be what holds the handle firm in the pivots.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I bought my TA the handle on the driverside did the same exact thing. I had it fixed under warranty and I was told that the handle had wear which caused it to rub the paint off the corner. They replaced the door handle
Old 05-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Launching!

My '96 rattled like no other. I tried to adjust it while doing a window motor but couldn't find anything to adjust/tighten. My '99 doesn't do it.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Anyone got a pic of the piece that's not worn. How does the hanlde come off, if there is nothing on the inside to tighten?

Quick Reply: Door Handle .... Tighten???