Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zger that looks great.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

could always do it yourself. I ran across this thread and some of the cars that people have done came out pretty damn nice. some people bash it obviously cuz it's not their thing but keep an open mind and look at the results some have had....allso hot rod magazine does it in their latest issue after they ran across this thread. a few posts down it starts the post is made by 69chargeryeehaa

Paint Job on a budget...44 pages

part 2......80 pages

part 3 up to 8 pages as of now.

I will throw up a few pics of the original posters cars.

others that have done it and one guy even dedicated a website to it.

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

i'm in the process of repainting my sidecar cuz it was real bad.....and with no money it is a great option!!!

go ahead bash away but i'm jsut the messenger remember.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lightbulb Make $1000 into $5000...no work involved!

Originally Posted by jamilz28
i am getting my repainted and i want a really good paint job but i only have like a 1,000 budget I have no body damage other then a little door ding which i am fixing my self.

but i want to do anything to save on this so i can get a decent paint job for 1,000.

i am gonna prep it my self take all the molding and lights off and ect. off.

what else should i do to cut down on their time.

basically i want it to be like they just tape and spray it
$1000 isn't gonna get a "good" paint job at a shop...might get you "fair" or depending on the shop maybe "poor." Here's what you do...take that $1000 cash you've got, drive to your bank or "a" bank if you don't have one. Ask the teller about "CD's" and their interest rates and the amout required for the shorter periods. 3 Month gives the highest interest rate so that's what you'll want. The bank I have now allows $1000 minimum for 3 months but my old bank required $1500, so shop around. Once you get started just renew your CD every 3 months INCLUDING the interest and you get that free money! Just know you cannot take that money out before the time is up without fees or loosing the interest. Try that, but it means you gotta be patient and wait. Hope this'll help you out some. Swat

Last edited by Swiat34; 06-10-2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-11-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

How bad is your paint job? What about going to get it waxed/buffed and then spending the 1 grand on a performance parts better.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

I just got a quote for more then that just to paint on some candy orange racing stripes and that was with me doing a lot of prep work.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

I don't see how it could make a body guy look bad if a customer disassembles his car ???
Well... it means less profit for the body shop because now they cannot charge their high labor rate for disassembly/assembly. If they only have to scuff, clean and spray the car they are not making a lot of money, that's why they don't want to touch your car.

If you disassemble and mask the car and then go to Maaco you can get a decent paintjob for your money. The quality of these shops varies.... one might be good, another one 5 miles down the road might be shotty....
Old 06-24-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

In my opinion, paint is a lose/lose situation around my neck of the woods. I have tried 4 or 5 different people with varying degrees of work, all with good referrals, been disappointed EVERY TIME. Last summer I ate $2600 on a paint job, looked like pure hell. I just disassembled the car, put the engine in the Z I bought, now it's sitting waiting for me to finish my turbo project.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro-Mo
Good luck
your car looks awsome in that color.... i added you to my fquick.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Launching!

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1857355
Also check out this thread. He painted his car with boat paint, came out to around $400 for the whole car, and mostly he because he bought a bunch of spraypaint he ended up not using.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by EdwardL
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1857355
Also check out this thread. He painted his car with boat paint, came out to around $400 for the whole car, and mostly he because he bought a bunch of spraypaint he ended up not using.
Damn! Wish I had the sack to try that!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:51 AM
11 Second Club

I don't know how far you live, but if your able make a drive to South Texas, TC Autoworks would paint your car for around 1800 I say. These guys painted my car recently, and damn...I get compliments all the time. Seriously give them a call, they do great work. They have tons of awards, and custom show vechicles to show you their work.

www.tcautoworks.com

Quick Reply: how to save money on a paint job