Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

new paint question?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007 | 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default new paint question?!?

I Just got my car out of the shop where the new door and qtr panel were repainted. I need to wait 90 days to wax the new paint right? What about quick detailer? Will it hurt to spray that on it and wipe it off? Thanks!
Old 05-16-2007 | 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

not anymore than washing it i believe. I think the wax thing is because the body shop does not want people trying to buff new paint which may still be too soft. I say just wash it and use quick detailer with microfiber towels... worked for me
Old 05-16-2007 | 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you dont want to put any chemicals on that will seal off the paint... wax contains silicones and such in there... the reason is that becuase some clear coats will take up to 30 days to fully cure which means there is solvents escaping... if you seal off the paint they cannot escape and will leave you with messed up looking clear coat like cloudyness and such and it will need to be repainted... wash it and leave it at that for at least a month....
Old 05-16-2007 | 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

yea dude you need to just suck it up and just hose it down. You dont want to do something that's gonna screw up something you just paid good money for to ruin
Old 05-16-2007 | 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. So let me get this right I can do a regular wash and dry(rinse, soap, rinse, dry) on it or just rinse it off?
Old 05-16-2007 | 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

regular wash is fine... you dont really have to worry much about scraches and such that will always com eout unless its gouged down to the basecoat its more or lesss jsut dont wax it.... dont get a soap with harmful chemicals in it either just a normal soap should work non of that wax as you dry **** either...
Old 05-16-2007 | 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks alot. I'll just use water and the regular soap I use and the "asorber" and terry towels to dry. I won't use anything else so I won't mess anything up.
Old 05-21-2007 | 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my car rear hood and front hood was repainted alittle over 1.5 weeks ago and the bodyshop that painted my car never told me anything about a wait time for waxing etc. His shop does the best paint work in this area. there was a cruise-in after I got it back the following weekend and I did the three step on it. I used cleaner, polish and then waxed the car. I didn't know I had to wait for the clear coat etc. to cure. Car looked very nice and shiny afterwards.

Will I have a problem now? Little concerned now after reading the replys.

thanks
Old 05-21-2007 | 03:37 PM
Launching!

Actually if they had your car in a paint booth that bakes the paint on you can usually wax it after a week. When I had a mustang done yeah I know its a ford lol. The guy painted it let it bake, then wet sanded the clear and was putting polish on the same day. I came back a week later and we buffed the paint and put a good coat of wax on it and it looked fantastic.

Just remember every painter has different strategies for paint so just listen to what they tell you to do if they are a good painter.

Good luck with your car
Old 05-21-2007 | 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea a booth that bakes deff quickens that wax time... but i wouldnt do it just to be safe... i know people that wax them the next day after paint.... i dont do it... i always play it on the safe side... you should be alright the guy with the 3 step thing...
Old 05-21-2007 | 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

I bake my stuff and cut and buff the next day, then put meguiars carnuba wax and it comes out looking like glass. Have never had problems in four years of doing that process. People have brought back their vehicles two to four years later and it still looks like glass.