Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Just painted parts, need ur help plz...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just painted parts, need ur help plz...

I'm replacing the hood, front bumper and right fender on my Camaro. I used spray cans where you go to a local shop with your color code and they give you spray cans. Anyway, I did the whole thing, primed the parts and painted them and added 3 coats of clear. Now since I'm a first timer I need ur help guys. How do I get that GLOSSY look, to match the rest of the car? I put three primer coats, three base coats and three clear coats, again I'm a first timer so do not hesitate to tell me if it was stupid doing something so far , now I'm at a point where the I'm excited painting the new parts but they are not glossy at all .
Thank you guys very much.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

By the way, I wet sanded a small part of the one part I painted using 1500 , then I buffed it but it didn't look glossy, how heavy should it be wet sanded? Should I only use 1500? Any help would be so appreciated I just can't afford taking it to a proffessional
Old 05-18-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Did you block sand the primer before you put the base coat? If you did did the basecoat lay down smooth and non grainy?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

I did not block sand the primer before I put the base coat. The basecoat did lay down smooth. I prepared the parts by sanding 320 - 600 - 1500 , then I cleaned it very well with soap then primed it. After the primer I wet sanded it again then cleaned it with soup then laid 3 coats of base followed by three coats of clear and that's where am at right now. The color looks really nice but not glossy, I want that kinda mirror look on it.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Usually when you lay down primer it will look grainy and orage peely in parts with the exeption of sikkens color build system which laysdown like basecoat. You have to block sand primer no matter what. Thats the only way to get the surface good enough for your basecoat to laydown smooth and non grainy, but i think your biggest problem is you are not using the real automotive clear. I am not familiar with those types of spray paint bottles. Is the clear a two part system?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

what brand of clear did you use? Was it lacquer, urethane or enamel? On the other hand it should not really matter, you can buff a rock and still make it shine. Sorry for being a smart ***. I probably shouldnt even be posting tonight, had way to many refreshments after work. But congrats for at least trying.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Every time I've wetsanded and buffed I go directly to 1500 with frequent cleaning and then to 3000 and then a final 6000 after proper cleaning and buff it out and follow up with polish and it usually turns out real nice.