Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Has my car been too long in the shop??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Has my car been too long in the shop??

I purchased a vert and put it in the body shop 6weeks ago. this is week 7, the car was not wrecked or nothing like that. but the guys installed a new top that i purchased and i decided to repaint the car the same color. the paint was pretty messed up and scratched and stuff, but not a single hit nowhere. have these guys taken too long?? im starting to get pissed, each time i go i see very little improvement and its by no chance a big paint/body shop. i went today(mon) and the car is still being prepped for paint.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm....still being prepped for paint and its been over a month and a half. If there was no body damage to fix, it seems like that is taking awhile.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much was the estimate and how much have you paid? I'm thinking that this may be the deciding factor here.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to go keep your cool, ultimately these guys have control over how your car turns out, and if it gets shitted up do you really want to go back to them? Probably not. I would go in there, tell them exactly how long they have had it, in case they forgot, and tell them they have a deadline. If they don't meet that deadline your going to get authorities involved. Hopefully you didn't pay yet. If anything, tell them you want the car back and you cannot wait this long anymore. Then just take it somewhere else. If they don't let you have your car when you demand it, file a police report IMMEDIATELY.

A member on this site recently went through this same ****, but his car was having engine work done. Long story short, he ended up having the police come, and they filed the car as stolen. I believe he ended up suing them for his money back, but not before they took a tire iron to the car and ****. Just be careful with what you say.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

That does seem like too long but like it is stated above be careful at how you treat them. Sucks to be in that position. Just make sure you never refer people to them and tell them that after your car is done Post up some pics when you get it back
Old 06-05-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have not paid them nothing yet. can i just demand my car like that? i imagine they are gonna want to charge me something right? im about to go over their right now.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

I do body work for a living, it takes longer than you think. Even though there might not be any visible body damage, there is. they want that car to be perfect because their name is on it. They have to take both bumpers off, take the mirrors, belt moldings and handels out of the doors, take out the tail and headlights, side marker lights, fender liners (if they are a good shop), and reinstall everything. they have to do this for every, thats just the body work, not the painting. there's priming, blocking, masking, cut and buff. Its a big process, just be patience with them. Just go over your car with a fine toothed comb when you get it back.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well ive been there and i know they did not take anything off except the front/rear lights.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

welll... usually when you send your car in they will give you some sort of a dealline... 2 weeks 3 weeks what ever... and if they go a few days over no big deal... how much are they charging you for all of this... they might have just taken it on as sidework... and low balled the estimate to save you money and keep people in the shop busy when times are slow... if nothing is apart thats messed up... on a full paint it shoiuld all come apart... what did they tell you when you dropped it off?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they never gave me a deadline, i think the big problem here is that the owner is my friends uncle. i guess he thinks im like his nephew and he can treat me like he does him.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nahh thats not the case usually if you know the person with the car you want to do the perfect job as possible... not dick them over... just call them and find out whats going on... dont be a dick about it even though i know you want too.... just play it kool...
Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i went over there today and the car is almost done with, should be out tomorrow. just polishing and putting some minor details on.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's been way too long! I want to see pics of the new top damn it! J/K That is a long time though.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:48 PM

my friend owns a body shop and 95% of the time he only takes a week at most getting a vehicle done i would go and tell them you want to pick up the vehicle immeadiately and you will pay for any work done to this point if they dont release it then go to the police
Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pricco4003
my friend owns a body shop and 95% of the time he only takes a week at most getting a vehicle done i would go and tell them you want to pick up the vehicle immeadiately and you will pay for any work done to this point if they dont release it then go to the police

thats exactly what i did, and all of a sudden my car is pretty much done.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

This took 6 days start to finish. New Black coat, airbrush and Clear.

Seems like that is a bit long

Quick Reply: Has my car been too long in the shop??