Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

berger panel problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default berger panel problems

I definately want to get it done but the only problem is I'm not sure if i should pay a 100 dollars to have it done in a shop or pay much less and do it myself(with possible help of some others). Which way would be the better way to go? I also dont know how to take the panel off...what paint to get, or what exactly i should do to paint it myself so that is the downside of me doing it...but someone could always help me out with that if me doing it was the better option
Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's a sticky on how to do it. I used duplicolor and it came out pretty good.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

local body shop did both mine and a friend's car for $75 with PPG flat black and then a satin clear. Looks killer, and he did both cars the same day.

Find a friend who wants it done too....the labor doesn't bother them, its wasting all the expensive paint/clear that pisses them off.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

ok this is the second time i have painted the panel due to the same problem. i paint the panel black and the paint looks uneven. like there is more paint in one area than another. there are no runs and i know how to use spray paint (i think) so what is the deal? i'm getting fed up!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

ok well i would try yourself first you can always take it in and have it done if you mess it up. the first thing you will need is a scuff pad by 3m to scuff the entire piece. scuff the piece untill all the shine is gone. then wipe down the piece with some rubbing alcohole to remove any finger prints and to cleen the surface. then you can get some paint. i used kylon because i've heard from people on this website that it won't fade. i used a semi flat wich looks more like a satin. then you can spray that over the piece using even strokes and put alot of light coats on.

P.S. i had some trouble and ended up doing it three times before i was happy with it. I had to wet sand and then put one final coat on before it looked good to me. but i'm kinda picky. good luck.