Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
View Poll Results: can it be done?
Yes
40.00%
Hell no
20.00%
this guys old and washed up full and of shit etc...
20.00%
or im just young and stupid and need to believe old folks!
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

how many times did you? and should i take the bet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how many times did you? and should i take the bet?

ok here we go i was at a local motorcyle repair shop and i seen a 82 trans am it was full of dust but looked nice so i asked the guy about the car right so he went on telling me that the car which was a burnt orange color had been cleared 50 times so i said come on man 50 coats of clear so i think i hit that red button around that time he got mad said to me look this was my show car and race car but i blew the motor so many time i gave up on it etc...so i said again 50 coats how much did you get charge lol man he was pissed went to going on bout his brother who stayed in florida was some big time painter in the 90's did it for nother just sponcered him etc.. so i pushed him a lil harder started sayin look dude you dont have to lie to be kool hip or young again i understand its a peice of **** lmao so he tell me you can bring any painter here and look at this car after i get washed up and nothing you can go get painted will ever amount to this and bring ya $ how bout 200 bucks and he told me im young and wet behind the ears. ok my point is do you think its possible to clear a car 50 times?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

yeah it could be done, but i dont think it would look right, and probably **** it up doin it that many times, never say never, some ******** will try something
Old 07-06-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its possible but as to what extent that purpose would be I don't know. I had a chevelle that had 27 coats of candy and clear but thats over all metal pannels, and a majority was sanded off in
the final prepration of the car. maybe 10 stayed.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

First off.... USE PUNCTUATION!!!

I dont know which was worse, me attempting to read your goobered up story or the fact you pushed this old man into a corner and trash talked his car.

To answer your only complete sentence... Yes it is possible to spray 50 coats of clear on a car. Probable... no. Economical... no. Smart... not really. The most you will spray on at any one time would be a good 3 coats before you would have to scuff or resand the clear for adhesion purposes.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

how thick would 50 coats be.. my dad had a 76 Toyota cellica with a 350 in it that ran 10's and it had 5 coats of clear.. someone smashed thier door into it in a parking lot and the paint chipped.. you could see how thick it was..
Old 07-06-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sound downright stupid to me...but I wouldnt take the bet, like what was said earlier...some ********* will try anything.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by badtexasZ28
First off.... USE PUNCTUATION!!!

I dont know which was worse, me attempting to read your goobered up story or the fact you pushed this old man into a corner and trash talked his car.

To answer your only complete sentence... Yes it is possible to spray 50 coats of clear on a car. Probable... no. Economical... no. Smart... not really. The most you will spray on at any one time would be a good 3 coats before you would have to scuff or resand the clear for adhesion purposes.

I know my spelling and punct. was of but damn man why kick a brother down lmao. No harm taken im at work and i was rushing to type this up as short as i can put it.Glad you were able to figure it out without busting a vessel or shitting your self
Old 07-06-2007, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
Its possible but as to what extent that purpose would be I don't know. I had a chevelle that had 27 coats of candy and clear but thats over all metal pannels, and a majority was sanded off in
the final prepration of the car. maybe 10 stayed.

ok can u post a pic of it and was it worth all those coats? would you do it again?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

with 50 coats you could not open the doors because the clear would have filled in the gaps, also clear dries by evaperating with that many coats the clear would have never been able to dry without causing problems and after a couple years should turn hazy and crack. also you can put about three of four heavy coats of clear on an entire car with a gallon so he would have used about 15 gallons of clear on it. i would take his money for sure
Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

50 coats of clear would compleatly change teh color it would start to cloud it up... and like the other guy said mos tyou want to do is 3 coats at once... so that means to do it correctly he would have had to let it dry and wet sand numerous times when he could have just left the 3 coats on there and been done... not to mention the more clear you put on the more brital the paint becomes... surprised just breathing on that thing wouldnt make the paint chip...
Old 07-06-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Im young but was raise to a open mind. Along with a open mind comes a time to reason. Reason has that this guy's car has a shitty paint job from whenever and probably actually payed for it with his kid's tuition money. When facts and truth are presented old crusty men like that react like ricers; they cough up excuses. BS, and put your wisdom to the equation. I say, if he is smart to spend the money on the paint job like that, then take his kid's inheritance too in the bet. pwn3d.

Just keep in mind, if becomes a pissing contest, dont argue with retards. They will drag you down to your level and beat you with experience.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Teching In

it would be absolutely ridiculous to put 50 coats of clear on a car, like everyone has said, youd have to wetsand so much clear off the car it would be a large waste of money, when you start to stack clearcoat on top of clearcoat it starts to become cloudy, thats why if your going to put lots of clear on a car it needs to cure first, wetsand it and then do it again. but 50 times. i have no problem calling that guy a complete moron, its very well possible, but its also one of the dumbest things ive ever heard somoene brag about. 3 coats of clear laid down nicely will shine just as nice as more coats but it will have better clarity. not to mention 50 coats would be 3 inches thick.the only reason youd even need more than 5 coats of clear, EVER. is if you totally suck at life and you have dirt and runs everywhere and a florida orange tree living in your clear. for show cars we spray 3 coats of clear, wait, wetsand and clear two more times. this guy would have to do that 10 more times and spend hundreds more dollars. thats pretty moronic.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

50 coats wouldnt be 3 inches thick, only about 1.6 inches. This is assuming the correct application of clear coat was sprayed (about 3/4's of a mil per coat).

I never said that the idea of putting on 50 coats wasnt the right thing to do. You asked if it was possible, which it is, just not practical. When I spray out, I put 2 medium to light coats and 1 wet coat since about .3-.5 mm will be taken off in the wet-sanding and buffing/polishing stage.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

ok i talked to the old fella i just told him i was not trying to make him seem like a ***.Oh and by the way it was washed up when i got there i asked can i take a pic he said no. now dont get me wrong the car still looks fresh after neary 10 years maybe he went a buffed it. but i told him i was only trieing to drive him crazy in a joking way nothin personal. but he still stucks to the story of 50 coats now he did say he did not witness all coats but can say its was like 2 months of sanding and clearing so i guess i can agree it has some time put into the clearin thats all im givin him.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i still cant understand why tho... as stated before3 coats would give you a great shine... unless they kept screwen the job up for 2 months strait... it doesnt make sense...
Old 07-07-2007, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Wait, there is a serious lack of English in this thread. I don't even understand the circumstances around the bet? What's the bet for?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badtexasZ28
50 coats wouldnt be 3 inches thick, only about 1.6 inches. .
your definitely a techy...haha...i was just throwing out a number not being specific.

Originally Posted by LS1_Disciple
Wait, there is a serious lack of English in this thread. I don't even understand the circumstances around the bet? What's the bet for?

im lost as well.haha.....the bet is did he put 50 coats of clear on it....its entirely possible,but what he did to get there wasnt in the bet....he could have put that many coats on but also could have wetsanded multiple times to actually make it possible and still look good.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

No not a techy, Im a painter
Old 07-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Teching In

same here.. but i surely didnt multiply coat thickness by 50, ha. just tossed out a number. nice way to break down the numbers though.

and i see your in elizabeth city, cool deal...i lived in moyock for a few years. i live in vb now. what shop do you work at, or do you have your own shop ?....i work at Stock or Modified Bodyworks in virginia beach.