Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Clear coat problems HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007 | 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Default Clear coat problems HELP

I took off the molding on my TA and the damn adhisive removed messed up some of the clear coat on my car and some of it is flaking a bit Can I have someone sand off the clear in the area and then respray it or will i have to have the damn thing repainted please help I have no idea. It looks like the paint under it is fine not hazed or affected just the clear is fubar
Old 07-19-2007 | 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can have it recleared... is it just one door or both?

it shouldn't cost much if you prep it.
Old 07-19-2007 | 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

It is just one door but it goes almost all the way down. I hasn't seen sun or rain or anything so at least it should be clean just some flaking on the fender and the rest is kinda raised rough like. Think i could wet sand it down smooth?
Old 07-20-2007 | 12:06 AM
Teching In

it may be possible to get away with wet sanding with 1500 and reclearing if it is a solid color, but i wouldnt recommend that route. if you are prepping the area to be recleared you might as well spray or spotblend the color. but any time clear/paint is damaged the proper way to fix it is to repaint/clear the entire panel. but if money or time is an issue and quality is not, than a spotblend in that area may be a good option, depending on the location of the peeling paint. but clear blends are only temporary repairs. eventually over time you blended edge will have more of a tendency to peel, compared to a completely cleared panel.
Old 07-21-2007 | 08:27 PM
On The Tree

i would wet sand it down a little with like 2000 grit then i would use the liquid diamond stuff that is on tv and it will put it back to the way you want it to look really just try the diamond and if that dont work with out the sanding then wet sand it and use the diamond but i have used it and it works and my family owns a body shop and when you see how it looks on the area you are using it on to fix the paint then use it on the whole car and you will really like the way the paint looks then good luck let me know how everything works out for ya
Old 07-22-2007 | 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
I took off the molding on my TA and the damn adhisive removed messed up some of the clear coat on my car and some of it is flaking a bit Can I have someone sand off the clear in the area and then respray it or will i have to have the damn thing repainted please help I have no idea. It looks like the paint under it is fine not hazed or affected just the clear is fubar

If it is truly peeling away from panel it must be feathered back till it stops(sometimes it keeps going till the end of the panel)Long story short 97lt1SS answered your question with one of the possible solutions