Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

paint thinners and others?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint thinners and others?

how harmful is this to a clear coat. I work out of my 01 dodge 1500 and sometimes get specks of paint on the sides from leaning over the bed. The only thing that will get them off is if i use lacquer thinner sw-1...really hot stuff...it doesnt seem to rub any paint of and i can just wash it off and wax. Looks great! Im really **** about my paint though and i dont want to be wearing my clear off. I know its harmful but is it going to wear it to the primer is it?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

man i know when i do that the clear gets really soft. I would think as long as you dont use anything too agressive it will not do anything. In the past i did the same thing and i rubbed too hard and the clear does come off, or get scratched. And thinner takes off non 2k products only. Its hard to remove clearcoat overspray. You can get away with basecoat overspray and remove it with thinner, but the clear requires more agression. Just be careful.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Teching In

enamel reducer works good and wont eat the clear or harm it just dont rub to hard because the rag could scratch the clear
Old 08-13-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

enamel reducer is the best thing but on a factory clear on an 01 it should not cause a problem
Old 08-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pheonix
man i know when i do that the clear gets really soft. I would think as long as you dont use anything too agressive it will not do anything. In the past i did the same thing and i rubbed too hard and the clear does come off, or get scratched. And thinner takes off non 2k products only. Its hard to remove clearcoat overspray. You can get away with basecoat overspray and remove it with thinner, but the clear requires more agression. Just be careful.
what do you mean by non 2k products?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by johnson7454
what do you mean by non 2k products?
products that dont have hardners like bases. For example if you based a motorcycle tank and you wanted to remove the base you can do it with laquer thinner on a rag, but if you clear it and then try that it would not come off by whiping it with a rag like the base will.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

another thing you could try is recycled laquer thinner. its less aggressive and we use it to get tar and all that crap off rocker panels on cars. i even use it on the camaro once in awhile. also you could try some 3m "perfect-it" buffing compound and a terry cloth. i use the 3m stuff to remove bug marks off my truck bumper and anything else like that.