Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Guestimate on painting a door and blending it? (SOM)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Guestimate on painting a door and blending it? (SOM)

Someone hit the door on my TA a while back and on the inside it is cracking the fiberglass and the shops I have taken it to say they would have to cut away and patch the door and do a lot of work. I think it would be easier to find a good condition door and have it painted and matched so the sagging that is already happening isn't an issue.

Anyone have any experience with what it might cost to get the door painted and have it blended? I would attempt it myself but don't think I have the skill to make something like that color blend with the colors around it, and the bottom trim of the car would need repainting from the door sagging.

Any suggestions? I found a perfect door at one of the local wrecking yards that from my look over it, seems like it is in mint condition, so thats half the battle won already!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at the chevy body shop i work at in mo it would be about 950 plus the price of the door
Old 08-04-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

SOM is also more expensive than most other colors..
Old 08-04-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevethepirate
SOM is also more expensive than most other colors..

Somewhat more expensive, but not too much. The real cost comes in the labor for blending into the adjacent panels which in this case are the front fender and rear quarter panels. That should definitely be done in the case of a metallic color.

Bryan
Old 08-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by parbreak
Somewhat more expensive, but not too much. The real cost comes in the labor for blending into the adjacent panels which in this case are the front fender and rear quarter panels. That should definitely be done in the case of a metallic color.

Bryan
While yes, a lot of the cost comes from the labor of spraying and blending the color, it still IS a lot more than most common colors. "Normal" colors will be 1/2 to 2/3 the price of SOM. My buddy was the one that painted stevethepirate's hood, and he was even surprised at how much his cost was for the paint.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

If you have any kind of skills buy the door, have a quart of DBC mixed up, jamb the door and hang it yourself, pull the weatherstrip off and take it to the bodyshop and let them squirt the side of the car.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 00' Red WS6.

I had to have my door replaced, and blended.

Door - $890
Paint and Labor - $800

Take note that my car is a flat red color...and yours is a rare metallic color. Which means youll be spending more money than I did...but probably by only $300 extra
Old 08-13-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

at most body shops that do high quantities of work they have mixing systems which means they mix their own paint all colors are the same unless its a tri coat then it higher but a shop that buys their paint mixed it will be higher then no metalics
Old 08-13-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

yeah my shop just has the computer that gives all the mix ratios and we mix everything right on the spot. then spray the color on a test card, then if it needs tinting we tint it to match perfectly. heres the thing since your painting an entire door plan on blending both your fender and the quarter panel so that you have a good blend. now your color isnt 3 stage so it shouldnt make much of a difference from standard colors in shops that make there own mixtures. on that junk door make sure you check everything and every angle in the light because you mite find dents and stuff which will cost extra labor in the long run. id say to do the door fender and quarter without body work on the door it should run like 800-1200 depending on the shops rates.

Quick Reply: Guestimate on painting a door and blending it? (SOM)