Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Sanded to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanded to soon?

i just painted a piece on my car with the rattle can and it turned out better than i expected. the only thing i don't like is that i painted it black and it looks like it has more of a grayish tint to it. does this mean i sanded the clear to soon and it hazed up? can i resand the clear with some 1000 after a while to clear it up?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is 1000 the highest grit you used? Did you wet sand? And how much clear did you put on?

If you put enough coats of clear on (2-3), I would wet sand with 1500 grit and follow it up with a polishing compound.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

i put it on pretty thick. and i wet snaded all the way up to 2000. it just seems that it is a little hazy

so you would re-sand then use the compound or just use the compound?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

ok i gues i didn't have a problem with the clear hazing up i just didn't shine the clear properly. i am up to the stage where i have already sanded with 2000 and now i need to know how to make it pretty. i tried the wool pad and some medium cut compound but it didn't seem to do anything. i ended up just waxing the thing. it looked dull at first from sanding but shined up pretty nice. the problem is now after being out in the elements for a week it is starting to look dull again. so i guess i can't cut to many corners. I need to know

1 what kind of pad to use
2 what kind or compound to use
3 how to buff!!! i've never done it before but since i'm this far it would be nice to have my paint shine. thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Sanded to soon?