Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint needs help bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007 | 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Paint needs help bad

ok i painted my car witha 2-stage polyurithane. did the hardener and reduce with an 8.1.1 ratio. and there is some runs and inperfections and stuff like that. some have said that i can wet sand it the buff it and it will look like new . so what are the exact materials and steps to getting my car right
Old 09-13-2007 | 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

well i dont know what color your painted the car but heres what i do on my personal projects. i wetsand the entire car by hand with 2000 to find any dirt. i hit all the dirt with 1200 by hand and any runs with 1000 and a small hard block. then i go back over everything i hit with 1200 and 1000 with 2000 and then to finish the sanding i hit it with a d/a with a soft d/a pad and 3000 to knock all the texture(orange peel) out of the paint. i start to buff with a white foam buffing pad and 3m buffing compound doing little area at a time. then after i finish buffing the entire car with compound i go back over it with 3m swirl remover and a green foam pad. after im finished with that i hit it with 3m ultrafina and an ultrafina blue pad. and then to finally finish it off i use a black pad and 3m machine glazing compound. if the car is black or red make sure the car has sat for atleast a day before any buffing(sanding is ok) or you will get color dye back. in other words if you buff it it will probablly look like **** the next day and ull have to black pad the entire car. for doing all this i basically just a dewalt rotary buffer and when im doing detailing i use a porter cable d/a polisher because its not as harsh on the paint.
Old 09-14-2007 | 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

^ Thatle work!! And also for the runs you can take a NEW razor blade and put it perpendicular to the body panel ( -l ) and very easily (no pressure) run the razor blade down the run and it will slowly shave the run off!! Just keep doing that until you have a nice dull area around where the run used to be!! Then do your sanding! It will cut down on a lot of work and keep the body straight!!!
Old 09-14-2007 | 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Did you get any solvent pop in the runs? I usually get a paint stick and wrap some p800grt sand paper around it and sand just the run itself, then go over it with 2000grt and buff with black 3m foam pad and 5936 3m buffing compound. The nibs i do the same except i use 2000 grit on a paint stick to just sand the nib itself, the less of the rest of the car you dont sand the less you buff.

Quick Reply: Paint needs help bad