Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting plastic pieces? LS6 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting plastic pieces? LS6 intake?

I just bought an ls6 intake off a member here and a local member here said he would paint it. I would like to use auto paint, I would assume this would look really good. I just wanna go with a gloss black, nothing fancy. There is a local place that sells paint, but Im not sure how much it costs. I was curious, how much paint would it take to paint an intake? I know the bottom would not really need as much as the top, because obviously you dont see the bottom. What about other plastic pieces in the engine bay? Has anyone used auto paint to paint their plastic pieces? Any sites I can check prices? Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

paint can vary in price because of the style(pearl, flake, solid, metallics, kandy colors, etc), manufactuer, and place selling the paint. normally you get paint by the quart but some places will sell it as low as 8oz. also if you use base coat remember to make it look nice your gunna want to clear it. i think 8 oz of color and then add reducer would be good but im not sure i dont have a mixing cup in front of me. same for the clearcoat.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, anyone else?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Default paint

make sure your painter uses a plastic cleaner then adhesion promoter. it will peel if you do not. check out my car in sig, i got almost everything painted that is plastic in the engine bay and interior and never had one problem.