Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

C6 Corvette-style door handles

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lightbulb C6 Corvette-style door handles

Anyone else thought of putting, or a way of putting C6 style exterior door handles/buttons on a Firebird/TA? I want to do that BADLY! What's eveyone's thoughts on that? Oh, yeah, and that'd include shaving the OEM handles. SWAT
Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a post about this already i believe
Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I think the C6 door handles would look BAS ***..... I would probally just recommend shaving the OEM handles and putting in some door popers.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

I understand that this sounds cool and appealing to some people, but I would think of it as a resale value killer.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think it would kill the resale value at all. Huh. I'd much rather have C6 style handles than poppers and no handles at all.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/735482-should-i-shave-door-handles-off-t.html

You could shave the external handles, cut the recessed area, and use Geo Storm handles on the inside of the door, though the C6 are definitely more 'trick'.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:36 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I don't think it would kill the resale value at all. Huh. I'd much rather have C6 style handles than poppers and no handles at all.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735482

You could shave the external handles, cut the recessed area, and use Geo Storm handles on the inside of the door, though the C6 are definitely more 'trick'.
Your links are down in the post you linked to.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Your links are down in the post you linked to.
Weird. Well, it's "Should I shave the door handles on my t/a" thread, currently right abov ethis one. The link does work for me.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Weird. Well, it's "Should I shave the door handles on my t/a" thread, currently right abov ethis one. The link does work for me.
The link you provided to the "Should I shave the door handles on my t/a" thread works fine. Once you're in that thread though you posted some links with some info. Those links are down.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ahh, gotcha. Yep, they're down. No big deal though, the first link was just a stock C6 photo, and the second pic was of a Geo Storm (I just Googled an image).

I had a '91 Geo Storm before I bought my 94Z. It had the hidden door handles. Yeah, it was a cheap car (my college car). But if one got creative with sheet metal work (making the notch), you could probably use the handles from a Geo on the inside door sheet of the F-body.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

The thing is that if you were to completely shave the door handles you won't be able to run at the track, or at least my local track. Track officials have to be able to get to you in the event of a crash or fire and without handles they/you are **** out of luck. There is a guy on thirdgen.org screen named Neil, who had c6 door handles, wide rear 1/4s and more built onto his third gen camaro. It's really trick, his car is one bad ****, check it out.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by legal disaster
The thing is that if you were to completely shave the door handles you won't be able to run at the track, or at least my local track. Track officials have to be able to get to you in the event of a crash or fire and without handles they/you are **** out of luck. There is a guy on thirdgen.org screen named Neil, who had c6 door handles, wide rear 1/4s and more built onto his third gen camaro. It's really trick, his car is one bad ****, check it out.
can you get us pics so we dont have to register and such?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was looking into just shaving the handles and putting in poppers, but I want the electric door buttons...meaning the inside door handles take a hike too and get replaced with buttons. Resale value? We don't need no stinkin resale value!! :p
Old 10-03-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

So I have been thinking about this for awhile. Instead of using door poppers couldnt you just use the same thing that pops ur trunk. But hood them up to the doors so that when you unlocked the doors the door would open? Same concept but prob much cheaper.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was wondering that today too. Here's the problem, tho. If you run, or plan to run at a track you won't be able too due to there being no working handles. Second, with the shaved handles, you don't have anything but paint to put your greasy hands on to open the door. With the C6 handles, you can put a vynal decal if nothing else on the outside of the door to look like the Vettes. Third, if your battery dies....
All I plan on doing is using electronic activators to pop the door, placing a thin push button on the inside lip of the door edge, and weld in a small bucket on the quarter panel. I'll put a manual popper inside the passenger rear wheelwell and under the dash on the driver side. Any Q's or C's? Swat
Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old ace thread I know, but did anybody get anywhere with this? Wonder if the second or third gen handles might work on the exterior too since you can get chrome versions of them.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nah Man. It's still in the plans but its not a priority. I need to look closely at a Vette door and see how the button is affixed to see how I can use those same ones. For the buckets, there are plenty of cars with metal door handle buckets that i can cut out and graft onto the T/A. I wanna go that route simply because the factory formed piece will look much more refined than trying to weld and shape my own. Where Im coming up on a career change, I may get more free time to work on the project. Thanks for your interest tho Bro!

Swat
Old 06-24-2024, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Cool

Super old thread but did you ever get those c6 door handles on your T / A? It would look clean asf and I want to put them on mine.

79 Bird

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette-style door handles