Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Ant C5 Vette body experts ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ant C5 Vette body experts ?

I have a question for you body repair guys...

I was hit from the rear yesterday in my Vette. I noticed the pillar at the rear between the doors and hatch is moved forward towards the front doors, more on the passenger side that the drivers side. And I also have a wider rear tire to fender gap on the drivers side and less gap on the passenger side.

Has the frame been bent and is it repairable on these Covettes ?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How hard and how high up did you get hit? The rear of the car is a composite "tub" that is bonded onto the frame with adhesive, you could have either bent the metal frame or just cracked the tub and shifted its structure around.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Whistler
How hard and how high up did you get hit? The rear of the car is a composite "tub" that is bonded onto the frame with adhesive, you could have either bent the metal frame or just cracked the tub and shifted its structure around.

Either way it will be a tough repair. I have only repaired a few Vettes and they are a PIA. As long as the frame is not kinked anywhere it can be repaired. GM does sell sections of frame rails but that should be left to someone that has been to the Vette school. Replacing the tub is no better. It is glued to the frame and has several brackets that will need to be replaced. Make sure you take it to someplace that has repaired a few Vettes. I've been in the collision industry for 22 years and wouldn't want to fix it, I could if I had to, just prefer not to.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

It sounds like it does have frame damage and yes it can be fixed. If you do take it somewhere to have it fixed make sure they have the proper clamps to secure it to the frame rack. Most frame rack mfrs. make a special clamp just for the Corvette. Sound like your car needs to be disassembled to get the full extent of the damage. As for the sail panel bar is pretty soft and will move around pretty easy, as we have repaired several of them that have been in a roll over. Not to fear as stated earlier they do make frame sections if it has been kinked and any competant collision shop should be able to get you back in shape with no problem. They really arent that hard to work on, not the easiest either. They are just different. Good luck and if you have any other questions just shoot me a pm.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:35 AM
TECH Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by vetman1
It sounds like it does have frame damage and yes it can be fixed. If you do take it somewhere to have it fixed make sure they have the proper clamps to secure it to the frame rack. Most frame rack mfrs. make a special clamp just for the Corvette. Sound like your car needs to be disassembled to get the full extent of the damage. As for the sail panel bar is pretty soft and will move around pretty easy, as we have repaired several of them that have been in a roll over. Not to fear as stated earlier they do make frame sections if it has been kinked and any competant collision shop should be able to get you back in shape with no problem. They really arent that hard to work on, not the easiest either. They are just different. Good luck and if you have any other questions just shoot me a pm.
I Agree!!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2KSS
I have a question for you body repair guys...

I was hit from the rear yesterday in my Vette. I noticed the pillar at the rear between the doors and hatch is moved forward towards the front doors, more on the passenger side that the drivers side. And I also have a wider rear tire to fender gap on the drivers side and less gap on the passenger side.

Has the frame been bent and is it repairable on these Covettes ?
Was this your 9 second Vette that you spoke of on the other site?
Old 12-13-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hmmmm..... Do you have any pictures ??
Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reelmcoy
Either way it will be a tough repair. I have only repaired a few Vettes and they are a PIA. As long as the frame is not kinked anywhere it can be repaired. GM does sell sections of frame rails but that should be left to someone that has been to the Vette school. Replacing the tub is no better. It is glued to the frame and has several brackets that will need to be replaced. Make sure you take it to someplace that has repaired a few Vettes. I've been in the collision industry for 22 years and wouldn't want to fix it, I could if I had to, just prefer not to.

agreed, state farm totals,lol, you should see the frame bent or kinked like around the rear cradle, remove the rear wheel houses you will see the frame, i have just replced panles, done light front end work, i have never had to repair or pull on a vette
Old 12-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Sounds like the car is headed for a frame rack.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

definately sounds like the cars headed to the rack. sucks because vettes can be a pia to work on. good luck with the repair and if you have any type of mini tubing or anything that you wanna get done do it now since thats going to be out.

Quick Reply: Ant C5 Vette body experts ?