Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Got my ride back from Maaco.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all boils down to the actual PERSON doing the work, not the place.

Of course, some of it has to do with quality of materials too.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 11-25-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

That looks pretty damn good for maaco... like ya said we have all heard horror stories... makes me wish i would have just taken mine to a maaco... haha but like everyone says see how long it will hold up.... the only thing i dont understand is the guy who painted it... said the materials alone would be more than that..... so i dont understand how they can do it so cheap... my only guess is they use cheaper materials...

Another thing with maacos is that some do etter work then others... ive heard bad and ive heard good stories... gotta check the maaco out before hand i guess...
Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin good
Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Looks good, i was thing about getting my black trans am painted there, but still not sure yet.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy

Look at it this way. It was 500 bucks. It doesn't sound like it's going to be a "show car". It's better than it was before, right? You got a warranty so if it screws up, get it repainted. I think you did good.
Couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh

I cant see flaws, and have a eye for things......

Looking good or good enough doesnt cut it for me, looks decent in the picks
Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parbreak

Your car looks good to me for now. For 500 bucks I guess if it lasts 3 years I'd say you got your money worth
Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

paid for extra prep. You have got to be kidding.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

its the painter not the shop. Most maaco's have people new to the auto body industry, from what Ive seen.
as far as dealerships, the same philosophy applies. Ive seen some of them suck ***, and ive seen a couple with exceptional quality. One local chevy dealership, was pretty much THE place to have a car painted, whether its a repaint or some crazy custom job. Alot of local bodyshops outsourced their paint to them. Their painter was named Goolsby, who eventually left and opened his own custom shop which now builds award winning rides.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Launching!

That! My friend, is good looking for $500. Too bad your in Cali, I'd be afraid to take my car to any Maaco around here. (Houston).
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Looks great man. I too will be having mine painted there in the near future. It's not a show car by any means, and will look a hell of a lot better than my chipped, faded, peeling POS paint on there now.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Heck with the nay-sayers buddy... Your car looks nice!
Even if it is MACCO...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 PM

Maaco is NOT an autobody repair shop in my books. Or anything related.

All they do is get a group of 10 people, getting paid about $5 an hour, scotch briting the whole car together and then just throwing it in to get it painted. They don't care if they **** anything up, they will throw it out and charge you the same price as it is.

That is not a professional job, and don't get mad when the paint starts to mess up within a few months, even sooner if it's not kept in a garage.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
If you have to ask that question your better off paying someone else.

Primer is for filling purposes only, those of you who primer your entire car thinking it will help the paint stick are only waisting money. Your also making for a lesser quality job by adding more material build to your car.
That is not true at all. Primer surfacer is for better adhesion and for minor repairs. Paint will come off of the old material you're spraying it on if you don't use primer, which means...not as good of a job. Also, any decent body man would know that you HAVE to sand primer surfacer. If you're putting on a base coat after primer surfacer before sanding...then you need to get a new job.

Primer is for more than just filling. It is for adhesion as well. There is primer sealer that helps for corosion too, which saves a lot of money if you're doing repairs on the car that deal with banging on the metal and not just re-painting.

Last edited by xinthenight; 11-28-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waldershrek

Your car looks good to me for now. For 500 bucks I guess if it lasts 3 years I'd say you got your money worth
I agree 100 percent
Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xinthenight
Maaco is NOT an autobody repair shop in my books. Or anything related.

All they do is get a group of 10 people, getting paid about $5 an hour, scotch briting the whole car together and then just throwing it in to get it painted. They don't care if they **** anything up, they will throw it out and charge you the same price as it is.

That is not a professional job, and don't get mad when the paint starts to mess up within a few months, even sooner if it's not kept in a garage.
Dude, get your facts straight.

I've got a few friends that do or have worked for Maaco over the years, and they all get payed well over $5 per hour. Also, they all take a lot of pride in their work, and do very good jobs with paint and body work. All have moved on to bigger and better shops.

I'll agree that Maaco is not the premier body shop to take your prized toy car, but for someone looking for a cheap decent spray job to protect the car, and make it look good... it's not a bad route to go.

As stated by a mod on here before, it's not the shop you should be worried about, it's the actual people working there. And I know plenty of people working at dealerships and such that do half the job the Maaco guys do, yet you pay about 5x as much.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Out1aw
Dude, get your facts straight.

I've got a few friends that do or have worked for Maaco over the years, and they all get payed well over $5 per hour. Also, they all take a lot of pride in their work, and do very good jobs with paint and body work. All have moved on to bigger and better shops.

I'll agree that Maaco is not the premier body shop to take your prized toy car, but for someone looking for a cheap decent spray job to protect the car, and make it look good... it's not a bad route to go.

As stated by a mod on here before, it's not the shop you should be worried about, it's the actual people working there. And I know plenty of people working at dealerships and such that do half the job the Maaco guys do, yet you pay about 5x as much.

I have my facts straight. A bad job is a bad job. It being cheap doesn't make up for it in my books. I have my opinions and you have yours. No one will change that.

I'm not saying the car doesn't look good. The only problem is, we won't be able to say that for very long. The ONLY time I'd EVER use Maaco is if I needed a car painted quickly just to sell. Even then, I'd probably do it myself.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK! I have the best answer yet!

They didn't want to mess up such a sexy car!!!

Duh....jkjk...lol
Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by parbreak

Of course, some of it has to do with quality of materials too.

Bryan
parbreak
ummm no.... one person in a shop isnt making a difference... u need a team of people bro..... if one person fs up the prep... the whole things shot for the guy spraying.... paint shops get business by having a good reputation... which means... having a reputable shop.. with qualified people... so yeah it is the place..... ive seen maacos that do crap jobs and ive seen ones that do nice job... more horror stories then good.... but in the long run .... the quality.... sucks....

how do you pay 500 bucks.... for labor and paint.... i payed more fro just paint to do my damn car....

now any one can go out and buy a spray gun... and spray a car.... the long run it doesnt matter whether its maaco or joe schmoes.... its all about the materials... u can prep it the best... and shot with the worst and it still wont last... where as u can prep it good shoot it with good quality paint... and it will be good and last... and that where maacos lack... because if it takes a few days to spray a car... now think about labor... you may be paying a 100 bucks for paint and 400 for labor.... cheap paint? or high quality stuff? more like high quality ****....

sorry i got off subject....like stated its not a show car.... if i wasnt such a perfectionist i would have brought mine there too!

Quick Reply: Got my ride back from Maaco.........