Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Got my ride back from Maaco.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my ride back from Maaco.........

I know many of you would never take your car to maaco. And I told myself after reading the horror stories that i would never take my car to their. However, i got a discount through work and i didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on a paint job. I rather spend 2,000.00 on mods rather than a paint job. I ended up paying 500.00 in total for the paint job. All my friend were telling me how bad it was going to come out and how their the Mcdonalds of the paint job industry....but all in all, the car came out better than i thought. I only found one little little bubble in the paint but it doesnt even bother me that much. Heres some pics i took with my phone, Ill post up better quality pics when i can.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Looks real pretty! Here's hoping she sticks good! although a bubble would worry the life out of me since the bubble was probably painted on the same prep as the rest of the car. Do they do any warranty?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Im new to ls1tech, are you selling this?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did maaco prep the car?... the only way to get a halfway decent paint job from them is if you prep it your self... if they prepped it... id give it 1 year 2 years tops before she starts peeling... i wish you the best becuase it does look good now... i like your car... maaco is just terrible... good luck
Old 11-22-2007, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

yea, i paid for extra prep. They guarentee it for 3 yrs, and willl repair it for free if their are any defects. I know its not the best paint job, but cant complain for 500.00. I was selling it, decided to keep it.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looks good.

I had a MAACO job a bunch of years ago. I did all the prep work myself and it turned out good and lasted a few years without any problems until I sold the car. I think the problem is when people either get too fancy by switching colors or going with metallics.

Look at it this way. It was 500 bucks. It doesn't sound like it's going to be a "show car". It's better than it was before, right? You got a warranty so if it screws up, get it repainted. I think you did good.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Looks good for a maaco. My dad had a maaco paint job done on a car years ago and he said he prepped it and it would have probably only lasted about a year.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. Just hope it doesn't peel or crack. However, I had a quarter panel repainted on an car by a local bodyshop that was suppose to be really good.... cracked like hell!!!!!! Just shows.... its not just a Macco problem. As with a LOT of things, a LOT depends on the people that do the work.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You paid for the extra prep... thats just a way to shaft you for more money.

Time will be the real test of the quality of the products they used as well as the prep work. The Macco here pays the painters $100 per car, this should give you an idea of the time/attention they put into the car. I do paint/body for a living and have seen first hand the work that Macco does.

In the paint/body field you most generally get what you paid for.

Good quality shops that take pride in there work are few and far between also.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

here's a noob question . if I prep the car by miself where do I get the right primer for it. I don't think you just buy a couple of little cans from wall-mart right?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

I had a car painted at maaco. It looked good and I don't regret it, but it was an older car. I wouldn't have my camaro painted there. However, they will fix any bubble, run, etc. that they did. I took mine back a few times until i was satisfied.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love black SS's. The paint looks really nice.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ikaros23
here's a noob question . if I prep the car by miself where do I get the right primer for it. I don't think you just buy a couple of little cans from wall-mart right?
If you have to ask that question your better off paying someone else.

Primer is for filling purposes only, those of you who primer your entire car thinking it will help the paint stick are only waisting money. Your also making for a lesser quality job by adding more material build to your car.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

wow..really nice for 500 bucks..hah
Old 11-22-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Man i'm curious. Does a team of people paint the car. That would be the only way you could get a decent job for 500.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like they did a decent job. Keep us posted on how the paint holds up.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

take some pics in the sun if you can. if you want to get primer get it from a paint supply store and dont get spray can. i use standox paint supplies which is expensive but its to me some of the best paint on the market. but theres also other brands that are good like ppg and spies and hekker and alsa.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Primer

Sems makes a good spray can primer. But It's a pro grade that wont react under paint. Most over the counter wal-mart primer will give big problems later. you can get a cheap spray gun for around 40 to 50 bucks if you have acess to a compressor. And PPG makes omni primer its low cost and easy to use. 30 bucks for a gallon
Old 11-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Launching!

they did my freinds firebird here in memphis and i couldnt fault it, looked the same as factory, as far as length of durability that is an issue, but take this into account, someone rearended me and everyone reccomended this chevy dealerships bodyshop to do the work. I go pick it up and the side mirror falls off... it was rearended and this should have never been touched.. the paint bubbles on the rear bumper in less than a week. They respray and COVER my z06 chromes, rear window, and side windows in overspray and deny it. Here I am 2 years later and the clearcoat is peeling off behind the tires and around the antenna, but do I even want to risk taking it back to be fixeD? last time they did more damage than they fixed. It more depends on who is working at the place the time your sis worked on than any name brand, its a damn crapshoot unless its an old school reputable shop that has alot of work and keeps the same crew around
Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, its a misconception that dealerships do quality work, there no different than any other body shop.

Reputation is everything, ask around before dropping your car off at the nearest body shop.

Quick Reply: Got my ride back from Maaco.........