Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Cutting the roof out of a Z06, my targa conversion project

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting the roof out of a Z06, my targa conversion project

So I've had the Z06 for almost 5 years... it's been a journey. I've done countless HPDEs, a few auto-xs, a few trips down the 1/4-mile, and almost 70,000 miles of driving since picking it up in '03 w/ 11k.

The car is/was quite rough from all the HPDE use and due to difficulties matching millenium yellow has 4 different shades of yellow and a black hood.

Since getting the Panoz w/ my father as our track car I no longer have to try and do dual duty with the Z06. Making a car perform well on track and be reliable requires mods and excessive maintenance that is in direct opposition to having a comfortable cruiser.

This thread will outline my return to my waxer roots and the restoration, if you will, of my 2001 Z06 :beer: I'm making the thread for the corvetteforum but will copy/paste updates on here for those that care to follow the work.

The main projects are the following:

1. Interior insulation w/ eDead and Ensolite
2. New head unit w/ vrumvrum plate and integrated XM
3. Fresh paint and some custom stuff
4. Targa top conversion w/ oem parts (not caravaggio kit)
5. Finally getting my CCW classics back together w/ fresh centers
6. Removing track mods etc.

Gary (GBVette) has been kind enough to provide some space in his shop (dubbed the 'vette barn') and his know how in sanding a car and doing the body work. We'll be doing all the prep and disassembly and having a local shop do the painting of the panels. The car will be a slightly brighter shade of yellow, most likely Screamin' Yellow which is a Ford mustang color. It's brighter than millenium but not as pale as Velocity Yellow. I'd also like to see if it can be painted as a 2 stage to avoid the matching issues of the 3-stage Mil yellow should I ever have to re-spray.

I took the car out to the shop Friday evening, 11/23, to begin taking it apart. Gary started sanding and working on my DRM hood and I took things apart. The initial pics suck as they're cell phone pics and I had been forgetting to take my camera.

The first part of the project is insulating the interior. I'm doing this with eDead followed by Ensolite foam. Currently I'm 95% done w/ the eDead (it's tedious to install) and waiting on m Ensolite to come in.

Here's a few pics I have of partial sanding and disassembly:

Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hood exterior is sanded and the body work is done ready for primer then more sanding.

The main eDead install is done... still have to do the doors when I pull the panels, and will be putting some on all the trim panels as they go back in. Since eDead is a mass dampener full coverage/overlapping isn't needed. Think of it as a shock absorber for the panels, it stops them from resonating. I will cover w/ the ensolite foam to block sound.

Decided to pull the crap out of the rear. Took out all the lights, the antenna, and removed my black corvette letters. Lots of dirt, fuel grit, and brake dust built up back there... HPDEs = dirty car. Thanks for the company and help Mike (illmac77).

What's that? :leaving:
Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got a good bit of work done tonight, thanks to Mark (stormrider) and Mike (illmac77) for the hands and company.

Mark worked on the doors/mirrors while I tackled the rear wheel wells and brake ducts.

Here's what the inside of the rockers look like after 7 years of driving! I think I see some moss.

Here's some cleaning w/ laquer thiner and de-greaser.

Wheel liners, brake scoops and ducts out.

My growing pile of parts.

Took the hood off to do the underside.

Hood off.. took the Z06 logos off w/ a heat gun an fishing line.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a quick shot of my new Pioneer Premier head unit and vrumvrum face plate. The head unit is brushed and will go nicely w/ my gauge bezels. The plate is a one of a kind... it's the first surround done w/ an '01 Z06 logo only. Vrumvrum will replicate it, but I have the only one as of yet

Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

MAJOR UPDATE: Waxers avert your eyes! Thanks to Mike/Mark again.

Mike/Marks crappy Corvettes

Almost done w/ the sanding of the underside of the hood, ready for primer. By the end of today's work Mark had it done.

Started to remove the roof trim etc... A-pillars out, headliner out, weather stripping out. The weather strip is glued in 3 places so even using a heat gun it pretty much gets ruined. Not a big deal as I won't be needing it anyway. There's a flimsy metal frame that holds the weather stripping and the plastic molding that runs up the A-pillar, along the roof line, and down the b-pillar. The flimsy metal part gets bent easily so I destroyed them. Also removed the molding that runs along the top of the windshield.

Weather stripping out

Left A-pillar with everything removed.

Right side w/ everything off

Top windshield molding removed

Lots of parts!

Open and ready for cutting! The Z06 already has all the threaded holes for the coupe hardware and the slots for the trim panels to clip into, really won't be a hard job, just have to collect parts.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fark it... here we go...

The deed is done...

We tried many different ideas for removing the roof panel, but the adhesive at the front is crazy strong so in the end we ripped the panel out and decided to fight it another day. OPEN AIR Z06

Need to figure out how to get the rest of it off, then collect the rest of the parts I need... might go ahead and have a new windshield put in as mine is completely sandblasted and it's easy access right now with the stuff removed.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last Night's Update: Thanks again for your help Mark :beer:

First I tackled the remaining piece of roof w/ the dremmel. Breathing SMC dust and getting it in your eyes is no fun so I wore the face mask and safety glasses for once.

Mark figured out that heating up a utility knife w/ the heat gun allowed it to cut through the remaining adhesive quite well. Followed up w/ a sticker scraper using the same heat gun technique, then some laquer thinner to clean it all up.

Much much better...

Took off the decklid for sanding...

Sanded with 600... the shiney spots are just water drying, it's all nice and smooth.

Starting to shape up... I'm excited.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I dunno I'd be rather hesitant to take a saw to my roofline....
Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks slick!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I dunno I'd be rather hesitant to take a saw to my roofline....
Why? I want a targa and I want my Z06... only one way out! It's not like I'm chopping the roof out, degrading chassis stiffness, and making something custom.

The C5 chassis is designed as a vert first and is extremely stiff, all I'm doing is adapint the oem coupe parts to the car.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

You my friend have *****. Something about taking a 45k+ car, and sawzawing it that I couldn't do. But don't take my words as degrading, The car will look absolutely amazing when finished and completed. Good work, and keep at it
Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow that's a whole lot of work you've got going on there!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ Yep... but it'll be my custom car that I built, not bought. I'd rather have this over a C6 or C6Z any day of the week!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a ton of work, but It'll be fun also. Keep us posted!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

I like it

Gotta love the all mighty sawzall, just like duck tape it has many uses

It's your car so I'm glad you did what YOU wanted to, some people say I bastardized my Z by putting an LS1 into it and I say **** em !!
Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks... I'll continue to upate this thread... going to be a week of sanding and then removing the body panels. After that will be doing the custom work on the remaining roof structure to accept the targa.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:03 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt do it but hope it works out for ya
Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

Cant wait to see it finished! I always liked your car.

Good Luck with everything and props for doing this yourself.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

looks good.... nothing wrong with trying something different. as far as matching that yellow i know first hand that its a pain in the azz sometimes..

good luck with your build.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn thats aweosme. good luck

Quick Reply: Cutting the roof out of a Z06, my targa conversion project