Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anyone paint an LS1 intake manifold??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedZone
Anyone want to buy my LS1 intake?
I wouldn't mind getting another one to experiment some painting & porting. How much shipped? Does it have the EGR hole in the top of TB housing? That would be something I don't need on a vette. I've bought a couple of used LS1 manifolds from C5 owners before pretty cheap.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Launching!

What did you use to smooth and sand it before painting? Did you hand sand it or some type of media blasting?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by marovetsm
What did you use to smooth and sand it before painting? Did you hand sand it or some type of media blasting?
I just repainted mine again, but left it w/o a clear coat on the Duplicolor Chrome paint. There's no easy way to sand a manifold. I hand sanded with 80 grit to remove all the little casting circles on top of the runners, then used 180, 320 grit, followed by some build up sandable primer sanded that down with 400 grit before laying paint. I prep wiped all the surfaces before painting. I basically followed Parbreaks great write up of instructions and took alot of time preping since this was my first little paint project like this. Next one will be done much quicker, I'm sure. It's alot of fun learning something new to do with my car. That's what it's all about, eh??
Name:  Dsc01114.jpg
Views: 4258
Size:  52.0 KB
Name:  Dsc01113.jpg
Views: 4242
Size:  58.1 KB
Old 02-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/873087-my-custom-painted-ls6-intake.html
Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Fixvet, that intake looks really good. Glad things worked out. How about a couple shots in really good light, with a lower angle, looking front to back and then another one at a lower angle, looking across the it at an angle (front-left to rear right, etc). How did you fill the top section up front? Is that just a polished plate?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Banned

i'm so jealous!! Good job, boys!!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bsf
Fixvet, that intake looks really good. Glad things worked out. How about a couple shots in really good light, with a lower angle, looking front to back and then another one at a lower angle, looking across the it at an angle (front-left to rear right, etc). How did you fill the top section up front? Is that just a polished plate?
Thanks man! I'll try to shot a couple of more pics for you. It's sunny in San Diego today! As for the filled TB mount....I shaped some 1/8" plexiglass pieces to sit inside that opening to fill up to the top, then I Dremel ground all the outside edges to fit flush across the whole opening. I then used a small amount of Bono to create the blend into the first intake runner. I thought it turned out pretty good. But, I'm not sure how good the Duplicolor chrome enamel is going to hold up. After I sprayed it last week, I called the Duplicolor help line and was told I can't clear coat chrome paint without changing the color. So now, I'm letting it cure for a couple of weeks to test the surface hardness. I may install it on my C5 and just see if it lasts. If not, I can always paint my original that's still on my car. I've definitely learned alot with this project, and that's why I did it. Next time it will be even better......maybe with aluminum wheel or engine enamel with a clear coat that Duplicolor suggested to me. It won't have the chrome luster I was looking for, but would definitely wear better.

Fix

BTW.........I really like your white TA. I'd like to have one just like it to share the garage with my C5!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

how much of a PITA is it to get the manifold off?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Calstud86
how much of a PITA is it to get the manifold off?
It's pretty easy. Having a buddy to help is even better.
Check the instructions on www.ls1howto.com
Old 03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fixvet
It's pretty easy. Having a buddy to help is even better.
Check the instructions on www.ls1howto.com

SWEET!! thanks man!!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bsf
Here you go buddy!! These pics are hot off the patio! BTW....I also ported all the intake runners while I have it off the engine. Just cleaned up all the casting marks and flashing with my Dremel tools. Another good learning experience for anyone with an LS motor and easy to do on these Nylon-66 manifolds.
Name:  FilledTBmount.jpg
Views: 4188
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  Toptoback.jpg
Views: 4572
Size:  138.9 KB
Name:  Topcloseup.jpg
Views: 4198
Size:  61.7 KB
Name:  Rf.jpg
Views: 4320
Size:  95.9 KB
Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You did a really nice job. These pics do a better job showing the quality of the prep. I know the prep is a PITA, but you have to do it to achieve this type of finish. The filled in area behind the TB opening is well done. After you get this installed and can look at the engine bay in good natural light, you are just going to stand there like an idiot with a big ole grin on your face. I know; I've been there.

Make sure you bump/update this thread in 6 months or so to let us know how this non-clearcoat finish lasts.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bsf
You did a really nice job. These pics do a better job showing the quality of the prep. I know the prep is a PITA, but you have to do it to achieve this type of finish. The filled in area behind the TB opening is well done. After you get this installed and can look at the engine bay in good natural light, you are just going to stand there like an idiot with a big ole grin on your face. I know; I've been there.

Make sure you bump/update this thread in 6 months or so to let us know how this non-clearcoat finish lasts.
I'll definitely try to remember to give you all an update later. I'm letting it cure for a couple of weeks before I get my buddies to help me with the install.
I've helped two of them change ported manifolds on their new Z06's, and I think my old LS1 will be easier. I've already done alot of research and have a folder full of mod stuff. Yeah, I sanded the hell out those intake runners from 80 grit on up, since they will show from under my frc's. I actually repainted it 3 times before I got what you see. I hope there's not too much product on this thing. I'll find out before long, I'm sure.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
I feel like painting my intake now, haha, you guys make it looks so easy
+1
Old 03-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GinoLS1
+1
I'm with you guys!! So are we gonna all get to gether and have a "paint our mani's party"??? lol...'I'd actually be down! We'd just need a whole day to do it!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

is there any good clear in a rattle can?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Default Bump.

Bump...
I have a question..right now im prepping an ls1 manifold (my 1st time) but i was wondering do i only sand the runners or do i sand the whole thing and try to get everything detailed, Or would it be a waist of time?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Scroll up to post #33 then start reading down to the present. On mine, I hand sanded everything on the top side that would potentially be seen when on my vette. I did not touch anything underneath.........if that's what you're asking. Prep takes time so do it right and the end result will be good. Good luck.....it's a fun project.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 AM

Thanks fixvet
And noob question how do i post pictures through mobile?
Ive been sanding with 180 for a while now next i should do 320 then some 400,600, and finish it with 1000. Its my first time doing this in high school so it should be fun lol
Old 12-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dannyrgv
Thanks fixvet
And noob question how do i post pictures through mobile?
Ive been sanding with 180 for a while now next i should do 320 then some 400,600, and finish it with 1000. Its my first time doing this in high school so it should be fun lol
I know nothing about mobile photos on this site. I always use DupliColor products and used their Adhesion Promoter after sanding, washing and drying the runners.....then some of their primer, then several light coats of paint. Follow directions on the cans for all this or email the Duplicolor help desk for specific information.....they have always been SUPER helpful to me when I've asked stupid questions. Sanding up to 320 is fine to create the tooth for the Adh.Promo, a coat of primer, then final color. Just get rid of all the casting lines on the runners and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Anyone paint an LS1 intake manifold??