Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

98-02 Camaro front end conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98-02 Camaro front end conversion

I got into a fender bender today, which I should add wasnt my fault, and my front bumper and drivers side fender need to be replaced, as well as a few other things. Well,I thought, since I'm going to be replacing those anyways, might as well just do a 98-02 Front end conversion.

I tried a search and got nothing...

I have a few questions before I start though..

1) Will there be any cutting invilved? If so, Where?
2) Is it as easy as just buying the parts and putting them on?
3) Will it need any custom work?
4) How good will it fit?
5) what parts am I going to need to complete the job?

Or if anyone has step by step details, I would also appreciate them.

Thanks

heres a picture

Heres the thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-lounge/830606-having-terrible-day.html
For those who want to read about it.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be expensive and require some welding for things like the brackets in the front corners of the car that support the hood.

You could do it with money.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Assuming you have the mechanical know how to do something like this, I say do it. I've never heard of anyone doing this (only owned my fbody two years) but I think it'd really be worth it if you're up for the challenge. I never have liked those front ends and always wondered if anyone did this sort of thing.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Veteran

You can do it. It isn't a straight swap but doable. I would keep the LT1 front. They look OK and are much more aerodynamic.

You could spend your money better elsewhere unless you want the LS1 look for cheaper than buying a new car.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

Wait a minute? What are you guys talking about? It isnt even hard. The chassis between the years isnt different at all.(Majorly)

It actually is a straight swap from 93-97 to 98-02 front ends. Everything bolts up. You will need numerious parts like fenders, hood, bumper and all brackets.

go to this link and he posted his pics and stuff. Ive done it also but have not takin pics.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482974
Old 12-16-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Well there are differences in the rad support as in where there are sockets for bolts and the older body doesn't have provisions for one or two heat sheilds. You also have some small things like the sheet metal provision for the ASR motor controller not being on the older body and the hole for the LT1 wire loom. Older cars had a fiberglass HVAC box and newer have plastic.

It wouldn't be bad but the trained eye could tell something was up. You are very right Jesse. The real question is just if you want to fork over the $$ and have the determination to spend alot of time on your car that won't make it faster.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i did the swap. mine was a 95 formula evolved to a 02 trans am lol. was very easy. everything went in place. just buy all gm parts and you will be fine bud. dont go after market. the parts are pricey. the hardest part is just the headlights. but still wasnt taht hard. did it in under 2 days... heres my ride check it out.. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e...ef00e02d0a.htm
Old 12-16-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
Wait a minute? What are you guys talking about? It isnt even hard. The chassis between the years isnt different at all.(Majorly)

It actually is a straight swap from 93-97 to 98-02 front ends. Everything bolts up. You will need numerious parts like fenders, hood, bumper and all brackets.

go to this link and he posted his pics and stuff. Ive done it also but have not takin pics.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482974

lol he hit it in on the head.. its damn easy.. just gettin the parts is hard
Old 12-16-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what people are talking about welding and mechanical know how for? It's a straight forward swap, you just need all the parts. Just go to a junkyard and get the whole front clip, it will probably cost you 1500 bucks all together. No welding necessary.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I don't know what people are talking about welding and mechanical know how for? It's a straight forward swap, you just need all the parts. Just go to a junkyard and get the whole front clip, it will probably cost you 1500 bucks all together. No welding necessary.
Ummmm. This would be my guess. The LS1 hood is shaped completely different. It is several inches higher in some spots.

I guess if you wanted to rig your car you could use absurdly long bump stops on the front.....it would look funny as hell though.
Attached Thumbnails 98-02 Camaro front end conversion-100_6883.jpg  
Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's no fender bender, that's a fender breaker

Fenders don't bend much anymore, just shatter...
Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a general Idea on what I'd have to get, But i'm not sure about everything. If someone could lay out a complete parts list for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

And also, Where would I get the brackets from? Do they make after market ones or would I have to get them from GM?
Old 12-16-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
That's no fender bender, that's a fender breaker

Fenders don't bend much anymore, just shatter...
Sooo true.. That made me laugh..
Old 12-16-2007, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Friend wrecked his 95 TA and i put a 98 front clip on it. Bolt on swap. make sure u have the parts though. Same with the camaro all bolt on.

This is my guess of parts you will need, put bolts in plastic sacks and label them for every part. Unless you know your car good

1. Hood and hinges
2. Fenders
3. front bumper
4. inner fender wells, plastic pieces that go around under bumper
5. head lights and brackets(cut wires on head lights so u have the right pigtails). change pigtails for head lights to hook up.
6.foam Front impact absorber bar so your bumper keeps it form. maybe might need to change impact bar put i think its the same.
7. fog lights and brackets. Pigtails to, just in case
8. Hood latch parts and latch brackets that bolt to the front of rad support
Old 12-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Default 98-02 front end conversion

I started my conversion yesterday. I will post a thread with pics tomorrow. I was missing two brackets that i picked up from gm today. It's not hard at all. No fabricating is needed and i think it looks so much better. I have pics of my95 z28 on www.fquick.com/giuseppi
Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

No fabricating, welding or cutting any of the wiring sockets. Bolt on swap, I just did mine last summer. I have less than 1500 in the conversion and that included my 30th stripes, SS grille, and used but damaged OEM SS hood, which used the same hinges as the 95 hood did. I did all the work myself so I did not have to pay for any labor, just paint and materials. Thats my car in the avatar.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i was wondering if there were any tutorials out there for this procedure. and how much knowledge and skill is required to perform the transplant. i would love to give the new look to my TA, even tho i do like the older 4th gen look also, the 98+ bumper and hood is flat out sexier, and i think it'd be a bigger chick magnet.

i really want a ram air hood for my car, but to buy one, then prep and paint would be over $800 for aftermarket functional, when i could just get a whole front clip for $1200-1400

so yeah, if i find a black 98+ta that took a massive blow to the ***. i will gladly remove the front clip for my car provided i can actually do the work and not have to dish out hundreds to someone else.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:37 PM
8 Second Club

I did mine several years ago .Very simple bolt on .No welding or fabricating
Old 12-23-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it is very easy, the hard part is getting everything aligned, but if you have a bodyshop do the paint job then they can align it pretty easy. Straight bolt up and no welding or modifications required.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

millerpa
Please do us all a favor and let the page load fully before posting again. We got it the first time

Thanks for the list!

Quick Reply: 98-02 Camaro front end conversion