Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

auto body repair = good career?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007 | 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by reelmcoy
You will have to start as a helper and learn how it is really done, you aren't going to learn it in school. You will need tools, lots of tools. I have about 100K in tools, been in the collision industry for 23 years now. You can make money, but you need to be good and fast. Anytime you have a comeback you fix it for free. And just because you want to do it doesn't mean you will have the ability. I have seen many people that wanted to be a collision tech and just can't. I work in a highend dealership and don't work with any drug addicts or drunks. Drug screening and background check to get hired with random drug tests throughout the year. If you are working with those types you are in a shop that I wouldn't want my name associated with. I know many bodymen that make 80K plus but these are the top of the profession and in the right shop. If I had to do it all over again I would have chose another career, but I do have an ability that will make a nice hobby when I get out of this friggin business. Good luck if you choose to try it.
Couldnt have said it any better, I own my own high end professional collision center and grew up in this business. If I were you I would look at another profession. With hind sight always being 20/20, I wish I would have chosen a different carreer path. Yes you can make money in this business. But you will have to seriously work your *** off. Insurance companies have beaten the industry to oblivion, for tons of free things that you have to do that in turn you will never be paid for. The next factor is just the cost of doing business has gone through the roof in the last five years. If you are not concerned about making money then you are for sure to go backwards and loose money instead.
Old 12-27-2007 | 10:26 PM
Launching!

Do any of you guys deal much with USAgencies? I think they're one of the worst insurance companies. They pay $7 an hour less than everyone else, and deduct time off of painting adjacent panels.
Old 12-28-2007 | 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most companys do deduct time on adjacent panels
Old 12-28-2007 | 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive worked in bodyshops since i was 16 (only 23 now) and the drugs and drinkers are all over. Everyshop ive worked in would be employee less if they had a drug test, and aside from that the dust is enough to drive any sane person insane.
I love doing the work but wouldnt if it was a career of mine, the more time you spend in a shop the less you want to **** with your own car. So in the summers when the shop would be busyer and i would work 55-60 hrs i would come home and not touch my camaro. So after a while i started to go to college and im glad. I love cars and want to keep them as a hobby, not a job.
If you think you can find a job in a custom shop or speed shop that would be a different story. But those are hard to come by. what ever you decide upon good luck
Old 12-29-2007 | 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its tough for small shops, its almost like lowes, walmart etc. Big chain shops are even buyin out alot of the dealership body shops around here
Old 02-02-2018 | 09:03 PM

Default Hi

hi I'm 30 years old . At this present time I work as a maintenance technician in West Virginia. I make good money but I've been thinking about going into autobody. My question is can you make decent money starting out at a dealership after you get your autobody training.
Old 02-03-2018 | 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joshwade
hi I'm 30 years old . At this present time I work as a maintenance technician in West Virginia. I make good money but I've been thinking about going into autobody. My question is can you make decent money starting out at a dealership after you get your autobody training.
Short answer no

Quick Reply: auto body repair = good career?