Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Possible to do a Choptop Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i've done several chops on various vehicles (51 merc 50ford 55chevy 95 4door blazer and 2 95s10) its very very hard it costs a fortune to get glass cut and its such a paint to try and cut the class yourself. then after the big work u gotta do all the lil stuff such as gaskets interior pieces. and alota other little stuff. but if u wanna do it never know could turn out really cool but i would'nt do it to a fbody there already very smooth look'n
Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z2fast8
ok i've done several chops on various vehicles (51 merc 50ford 55chevy 95 4door blazer and 2 95s10) its very very hard it costs a fortune to get glass cut and its such a paint to try and cut the class yourself. then after the big work u gotta do all the lil stuff such as gaskets interior pieces. and alota other little stuff. but if u wanna do it never know could turn out really cool but i would'nt do it to a fbody there already very smooth look'n
Glad to have you on this thread.
I've never chopped a top, but I've seen magazine articles and lots of TV shows where they did them. Glass is usually the number one thing to consider at the start. The complex glass shapes you see on modern vehicles is why it's not often done any more.
This is why I want to only cut the front windshield and not lean it back. Same for the side windows. This is going to greatly simplify things.
Doing the verticle window hatch like chromeplated500 showed will take care of the rear. That's pretty much all the glass taken care of.
Now if the side windows can't be cut down and the sharp edges rounded over, then I may be screwed.

So for we have several ideas floating around for the top.

1. Chop top and keep T-tops

2. Chop top and make targa panel.
(Looks like above pic)

3. Cut roof off and make a fiberglass lift off roof.

4. Make new rear hatch and use tapered stock glass.
5. Make new rear hatch and use small vertical window.

I need to ask myself if I want to be able to remove the whole top for the convertible look.

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-23-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a cool solution.

It's really not that far from a regular convertible but with a hard, lift off roof instead of a soft, fabric, fold down one.

If you think about it, the verts with the top up look like Carson tops already.

You could even have a tonneau cover over the rear seat area for when you take the roof off. Just like Titus's 56 Chevy.

His roof lifts on and off. I'll try and find some good pics of it.

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-24-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Teching In

dude, the chop top and keep t tops pic above looks stunning. Abit low for my tastes, but the roofline looks amazing man. I really like it
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rodcpierce
dude, the chop top and keep t tops pic above looks stunning. Abit low for my tastes, but the roofline looks amazing man. I really like it
You mean # 1? That's what it will look like with the air ride at full drop. It will pop back up for normal driving.
I never really liked the T-tops, but I love having glass in the roof. It may be possible to make some new T-tops from 3/8 tinted lexan. It begins to soften at around 290°-300° F. Lexan is much better than Plexiglass heat wise, but it scratches easier. To fix that you apply a clear film over both sides. I already did a lot of research on this topic for my custom headlights.

Here's my big question, would you rather ride around with the T-tops off, a targa roof panel off or the whole roof off?

I vote whole roof.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 353 Likes on 266 Posts

jason i do think a speedster ta would look awesome and the whole panel coming off would make it easier to do i would think. that way you make the rear glass to fit that panel. i would like to see a pic of a hard top ta with the roof and rear glass off and the big ta wing that would look pretty sweet i would think.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Percy's Glass makes a scratch-resistant plastic rear glass window for our cars. (Speedglass). That could easily be cut to fit a chop.

http://www.percyshp.com/index.php?op...id=3&Itemid=33

All the Fieros were done by laying back the windshield. Basically cut a notch at the body/frame joint, bend the frame over, and then weld the notch back up. It's done with the windshield out.

The side windows on the Fiero are a bit different, I'll say that. They go straight up for most of the track, and then tuck in at the last minute. So when they're 1/4 down, they're sticking straight up (and not curving to fit the car). I haven't paid real close attention to how the F-body windows curve in though. You'll just have to look.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man ive never seen your work or enevherd of you ( im mostly crusin on other forums) but i realy do like the idea you got goin here are my vriews on each of the pics

for #1 looks good and sits real nice but t-tops mehh( i hate t-tops mainly cuz mine like like all hell)
#2 i like the idea of a 1pc fiberglass roof that is chopped that would be functional.
#3 i like the best. but few questions about it. 1 would it be a fiberglass hatch allthe way to the back so you could get stuff from the inside of the car OR would it be like the old hot rod like the t buckets tht had the lil trunk in the back that would be detached from the inside of the car like kinda like apick up truck bed but nicer, i dont know how the back of the trunk looks ( i dont have a 4th gen )

damn this is hard putting into words ill pay around with some msn pain to show you

shlomo
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
i would like to see a pic of a hard top ta with the roof and rear glass off and the big ta wing that would look pretty sweet i would think.
That basically sounds like a vert TA with the bigger wing on it. Is that what you mean? I saw a car just like that here on the forums.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Teching In

i would vote for a targa type top, or t tops. i dont personally like the idea of the entire roof/hatch off.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rodcpierce
i would vote for a targa type top, or t tops. i dont personally like the idea of the entire roof/hatch off.
I think the verts look slick. I see T-top cars all the time, but not many Verts.

Here's a pic of the tonneau cover on a black car.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by toxik iroc
#3 i like the best. but few questions about it. 1 would it be a fiberglass hatch allthe way to the back so you could get stuff from the inside of the car OR would it be like the old hot rod like the t buckets tht had the lil trunk in the back that would be detached from the inside of the car like kinda like apick up truck bed but nicer, i dont know how the back of the trunk looks ( i dont have a 4th gen )
It would be open from the trunk to the cab just like the Verts. I Suppose you could have a wall to divide them if you wanted. I might have a subwoofer box over the axle which would divide it. The rear trunk area would still be usable.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 353 Likes on 266 Posts

not really like a ver well i guess if you werent paying close attention and knew these cars well you wouldnt notice but basically a convertible with a t top trunk deck
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow jason always has the craziest ideas lol
Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i think that the spoiler should stay that height. I do think that without the rear "bubble" hatch the spoiler will catch your eye alot.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this would be probably the most do-able project..... but I think you would be better off starting off with a convertible.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
[I think this would be probably the most do-able project..... but I think you would be better off starting off with a convertible.
It's somewhat of a moot point for me. My car is paid for and already is modded So I have no intention of replacing it with another body style.

Really, the vert has it's advantages and disadvantages just like the T-top cars so I think either one is fine to start working with.

I'm leaning toward the one piece roof as well, but this style.

With this style you Can have easy access to the rear.

BTW, I was thinking of a easy way to make a new, one piece roof from scratch.
Build a crude tacked together frame for the roof from electrical conduit.
Cover the top with mesh.

Make damn sure the entire interior is covered and protected.
Then cover the top in expanding foam. Probably a medium density.
Sand, sand, sand until it's nice and smooth and the shape you want.
Apply a mold release agent.
Then cover it in fiberglass until you have a fairly strong shape. Then pull it apart. you can build the thickness of it up from the inside as well. Only the outer half needs to be smoothed out. The under side can be covered with foam and headliner material.
Sounds easy, huh?

Here's a neat trick that reduces the sanding time needed on the top. Cut a big hole in the roof and flush mount a nice, tinted, lexan window. I bet you could have a huge clear roof if you wanted one.

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-25-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

You know what all this reminded me of? Those car to truck conversions.
Check out all these pics:
http://www.driftcentral.com/forum/sh...61&postcount=1

There were Some done on the 4th gen F bodies as well to lower export costs. They were converted back later on.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

wow those were some sweet pics. the more and moer im thinkin an all fiberglass top like you were thinking would be sweet. im pretty sure i would have a hard time to just tear into my car like that without a nailed down plan.

"someone has to try it for it to be a trend" or just doeable
Old 01-26-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
the more and moer im thinkin an all fiberglass top like you were thinking would be sweet. im pretty sure i would have a hard time to just tear into my car like that without a nailed down plan.

"someone has to try it for it to be a trend" or just doeable
This stuff is done all the time, just not on F bodies. There are companies making removable hard tops for the Honda S2000 and Solstice. Even the old AC Cobras had optional hard tops.

Quick Reply: Possible to do a Choptop Trans Am?