Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need a professional opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need a professional opinion...

It appears that the clearcoat is eroding away in this little spot on my hood. Is there any way I can fix this myself without getting the whole hood repainted? Keep in mind that I've already tried polishing, waxing, and normal paint care procedures.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont want to get the whole hood painted they will have to blend it. Personally i would get the whole thing redone so that it does not keep happening throughout the rest of the hood. From the looks of it the base coat is still good but looks a little rubbed like the metalics are showing, hence you cannot just shoot clear over it.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

It will keep spreading as time goes on. By waxing and polishing it, it will slow it down somewhat, but its only going to get worse.

If a shop did a partial blend in that area, on SOM it would never come out looking right. It sucks, but I would get the whole thing redone. Look at it this way, it'll likely have less orange peel in it than the factory paint, assuming the shop paints it properly.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the opinions guys. I've been keeping a coat of wax over it at all times to slow down the process until I can get it painted. This spot just appeared on the hood after I got home from a long deployment overseas. I was planning on getting the hood and the front fascia repainted anyway because of some road rash...
Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

It sucks how the EPA and all the other environmental agencies are restricting the kinds of products manufacturers can use when painting cars. The clear coat on most newer cars is so thin it'll start to fail after 5-6 years, even with good maintenance.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

I know man HOK makes a badass clear that you can't buy in the U.S. I have bought it from MX and that clear gets so hard you can hardly scratch it. Makes it perfect for black paint. Its a ceramic clear.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Even wax/polishing won't take it away forever. It's going to need new paint/blend at least.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Teching In

needs to be entirely refinished for it to be like new. blends are fine for certain locations on a car like a fender or bumper. but hoods generally need to be completely refinished.

nicer car companies (foriegn) are using ceramiclears. gm is not one of these. but for example mercedes benz uses ppg's ceramiclear and that stuff is not thin by any means and will last much longer that 5 years. but for the most part any factory finish should last you 10+.

Quick Reply: Need a professional opinion...