Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Roof Paint Bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Whether an epoxy or an acrylic based adhesive, it is the breakdown of it and the subsequent residue which is actually eating away at the roof material. There is nothing you can do to avoid it if it is going to happen.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,220 Posts

I would agree. It's either going to happen or it's not. But clearly there must be some sort of environmental conditions that accelerate the problem, since some have seen the issue with cars just 3 years old, and for others it might take 6 years. I'm sure it's some sort of equation that takes into consideration both the environment the car is exposed to, and just plain old time.

But regardless of environmental conditions, there must be a point at which after enough time, if it was going to happen it would have. I just wonder how much time that is?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was 8 years before it started showing symptoms. Had approx. 58k on it.

Last edited by liquidsmooth; 02-09-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

My 8 year old SS spent 3 years in the boiling heat of south texas. Moved to Michigan where its cold. Now I live in PA where its almost as cold. The problem showed up 2 years ago. Garage kept all the time. In Texas it was driven daily so it spent time in the heat. Up here it sits more than its driven

No sense to me why it started bubbling up and having oozgazims when in the sun. I work with acrylics all the time and moisture is a problem with acrylics. Maybe the adhesive is a two part acrylic?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

or part ,,mine oozes as well..2 lil zit lookin things that will ooze when its hot out
Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im glad my 98 Formula doesnt have this problem ^^
Old 02-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2001 SS has the bubbles and the car only has 6400 miles. It sits in a heated garage in the winter. Never seen rain.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by wesst
My 2001 SS has the bubbles and the car only has 6400 miles. It sits in a heated garage in the winter. Never seen rain.
This is an excellent example of the inconsistancies of this condition. Here is a car that barely sees any use, sits inside all the time, and has the problem after just 6400 miles. Then you see some guys that have 10 times that many miles and much more exposure to temp change/climate/sunlight, and they still have no bubbles, or they took that much longer to start. It just seems so random. Like maybe GM had multiple suppliers for the glue, and some were more prone to causing this condition than others.

wesst, do you remember what year/how old the car was when they started?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

my 99 Formula has about 3-4 spots along the leading edge of the hardtop, and the edges over the windows have 5-10 each side. The drivers side (directly over the window strip) even looks like it is slightly cracking under the paint. I went to the dealership to get the service history, and it has never been replaced. I figure as long as it doesn't get worse I am not going to worry about it.

btw my car has 58k miles. The hood (stock Firehawk) doesn't look that great either, so I figured I would let them match. You have to be on top of the car and know what you are looking for to really see any defects, but I know they are there.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Coy
btw my car has 58k miles. The hood (stock Firehawk) doesn't look that great either, so I figured I would let them match. You have to be on top of the car and know what you are looking for to really see any defects, but I know they are there.
Yea most people don't see the roof bubbles or even the bubbles now coming up on the hood. However like you I know what's up and that's enough to push my money to other car manufacturers. I had to say it.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My hood was the original manufactured by SLP and I knew they had questionable quality before I bought it. Other than that the car has been great. The hood can be fixed, but the roof definitely has to be replaced. I am keeping the Firehawk, so the defects aren't a big deal to me.

I am defintely not happy with the way GM has treated the problem, but I will continue to buy from them. My next new vehicle will probably be a TBSS.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Coy
My hood was the original manufactured by SLP and I knew they had questionable quality before I bought it.
Is this just a Firehawk thing?

I never see/hear of people having issues with the original SS hoods?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

While the paint on my SS hood has never bubbled, it is FAR from the quality I would have expected...you'd have to see it for me to explain it.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
While the paint on my SS hood has never bubbled, it is FAR from the quality I would have expected...you'd have to see it for me to explain it.
That's funny, because I always felt that the paint on my stock WS6 hood (done by ASC) was very nice, and that SLP would be at least as good.

Of the SS & Firehawk cars I've seen in person, the hood paint was always as good as the rest of the car. I've even seen high mileage SSs with nice hood paint. Maybe the issue was consistancy (some good, some bad)?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's funny, because I always felt that the paint on my stock WS6 hood (done by ASC) was very nice, and that SLP would be at least as good.

Of the SS & Firehawk cars I've seen in person, the hood paint was always as good as the rest of the car. I've even seen high mileage SSs with nice hood paint. Maybe the issue was consistancy (some good, some bad)?
Honestly, it looks like someone didn't sand the hood well enough on mine before spraying it with color.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Three SS's here at work. All have bubbles along the front edge. I say its delaminating but none the less its a bubble. Mine are just becomming visible. They are also on the spoiler.

SLP paint is just like aftermarket paint. Soft. Not a mark on the nose of the car but a bunch on the hood. Funny how rocks always miss the nose and go for the hood. Back when SLP had a forum everyone complained about it. Not soon after that they closed the forums. Silly to complain about this point I think. However the bubbles are a different matter imo.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jolly
Three SS's here at work. All have bubbles along the front edge. I say its delaminating but none the less its a bubble. Mine are just becomming visible. They are also on the spoiler.

SLP paint is just like aftermarket paint. Soft. Not a mark on the nose of the car but a bunch on the hood. Funny how rocks always miss the nose and go for the hood. Back when SLP had a forum everyone complained about it. Not soon after that they closed the forums. Silly to complain about this point I think. However the bubbles are a different matter imo.

Wow, thats bogus. Thank god I have a Z-28, the roof bubbling is enough of a pain in the *** as it is.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Jolly

In your estimation, do you think the hood/spoiler paint issues develop as a result of weathering/climate exposure? Or maybe less than stellar care? The reason I ask is because many of the SS cars I see these days are at local shows, and I've never seen the issue you describe. Not to say that it doesn't happen, it's just that the cars I'm thinking about are garage queens that see little use. Maybe the hood/spoiler paint issues only develop with regular exposure to the elements?

On a side note, my WS6 was a garage queen. I owned it from brand new till 4 years old. The paint on the hood still looked perfect when I sold it. I wonder if any WS6 cars have hood paint issues like the ones you've described?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

liquidsmooth, how's your car coming along? I'd like to see some after pics of the work.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Launching!

I haven't really noticed anything yet on my car...

So I sit here and fear the day that I go out and see bubbles oozing from my baby...

And these Firehawk hood problems are news to my ears, when I get back home I am going to have to take a closer look for this..

Way to make a depressing thread.

Quick Reply: Roof Paint Bubbling