Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Roof Paint Bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is more of a reaction of the glue, which is black in color, and the resin or gel coat they used for the top. In my opinion I think it is the top itself rather than the glue used to adhere it. The ooze that comes out is not sticky whatsoever, at least in my case. Maybe Tim can chime in on this one better since he has seen the adhesive first hand. Mine will be off in a few days so then I can answer my own question I guess.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy ****, my bubbles have multiplied like CRAZY!! I gotta get this fixed, hopefully a CF sail panel comes out soon
Old 09-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Launching!

I want to know if this is going to happen after the fix is applied, even with a different glue. That's the real question. GM already fixed mine, but is it going to happen again in a few years because that glue had unexpected results?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Schnell
I want to know if this is going to happen after the fix is applied, even with a different glue. That's the real question. GM already fixed mine, but is it going to happen again in a few years because that glue had unexpected results?
No,you shouldn't have any more problems. I was under the impression, and from what I've read, that it was a mistake with the glue manufacturer in a chemical ingredient that was added in the formulation to make the glue. That's all, or it never would have happened in the first place. Somebody just overlooked a small detail.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

My car has 52K on it,has been garaged all of it's life and never has seen winter....yet from Jan when I bought it,no bubbles....to today it looks like ****. Been to 3 GM dealers and they all tell me about the same thing "Oh well"...it pisses me off,yet no one will give me a name and number to someone like a district manager
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM

3,000 (THREE THOUSAND!!!!) miles on my '01 T/A...Roof bubbling. Gm's going to bone me for the entire thing. The district manager is the ***** that has the service department kick us to the curb. Hmmm. wonder why GM is in the toilet...Could it be the shitty service departments?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

i just had a 53k mile car that i am the second owner of fixed at gm's expense. its all in who you know from my experience. and thats a shame considering how many people buy there products everyday!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
wait im seeing a trend here. Seems as if the more your car is out in the sun it doesnt happen, but once you garage the car or go to a colder place that's when the bubbling occurs. Very interesting how this is happening. Could it be that the heat i guess not really triggers the bubbling but makes the molecules in the glue move rapidly together and once in cool, cold, and shaded areas they combust and gases are released? lol love how chemistry sis being brought up with this...****** hilarious but also really annoying becasue i got about 4 bubblings on mine and their good sized ones

That could make sense. It perfectly matches my car's history/problems.

99' Formula, T-top. The car was bought in Georgia and driven there for almost 7 years. It then went to PA for a year. Then a guy from St. Louis bought it in the middle of winter, and I purchased it from him 2 months later. It was 17°F when I picked the car up in January. It had no bubbles at all and the sail panel looked great. I took it back to SC and it has been kept outside in the direct sun for the most part. I started noticing bubbles in April. They were tiny. By the end of July it looked like someone injected water under the paint in about 300 places. The bubbles are everywhere, and they are huge. Between the size of a nickel and dime in some places. When they started they were the size of a pin-head. The ooze in the direct sun, and when I wash the car I have to be careful because the paint will just pop off where it is bubbled.

Basically the car was in the south for 7 years with no problems, then go sent to a cold climate and bam. Bubbles.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by jeffstransam
3,000 (THREE THOUSAND!!!!) miles on my '01 T/A...Roof bubbling. Gm's going to bone me for the entire thing. The district manager is the ***** that has the service department kick us to the curb. Hmmm. wonder why GM is in the toilet...Could it be the shitty service departments?
That and a whole bunch of shady underhanded practices over the years towards the consumers of their products. They deserve to be where they're at. Their engineering and corporate culture leaves a lot to be desired also.

I am lucky in that I have a complete spare roof/top in the box. I never even thought to call a local GM dealer to have them fix a problem.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Teching In

Folks, I just had my roof replaced by a local custom body shop a month ago. They followed what GM recommended on using a sealer primer on the underside and what glue to use. What the body guy told me is when the car was built that is not what was done, the raw shell was never primed or painted on the bottom and the glue applied to the roof material directly. My guy feels due to the interaction of the glue and composite roof and heat from the sun was just a matter of time. My concern for anyone which is having this fixed is to ensure the proper prep has been taken on it being replaced. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:59 PM

copoz... what did your shop charge you to replace your roof?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:00 PM

BTW my car is black.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Shop charged 600.00 to remove, paint and install the new roof shell and it looks factory installed. I had to obtain the new shell myself which I was able to get out of GM at cost for 400.00. GM as for others would not do anything more. So unless you can get what you need via eBay or convince whoever your dealing with to sell at cost the normal GM cost was 800.00 plus dollars. So my total cost was 1000.00 to fix what GM didnt do correctly to start with.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by copoz28
Shop charged 600.00 to remove, paint and install the new roof shell and it looks factory installed. I had to obtain the new shell myself which I was able to get out of GM at cost for 400.00. GM as for others would not do anything more. So unless you can get what you need via eBay or convince whoever your dealing with to sell at cost the normal GM cost was 800.00 plus dollars. So my total cost was 1000.00 to fix what GM didnt do correctly to start with.
sounds like you got a deal

Quick Reply: Roof Paint Bubbling