Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Earl Scheib??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earl Scheib??

Car needs new paint, I just want the same factory blue done, and I saw this advertised online:

WARRANTY:
6 Year Warranty
Covers: Peeling, Cracking, Excessive Loss of Gloss

Chemical Cleaning and Dewaxing
Dual Action Machine Sanding for Adhesion & further Cleaning
Hand Sanded for Adhesion & further Cleaning
Air-blown Dust Removal
Careful Masking/Taping
Tack Cloth Cleaning
Complete Exterior Primer/Sealer
3 Full Exterior Coats of Acrylic Urethane Paint (Single Color)
Each Coat of Paint will include Integrated Clear for Added Gloss & Protection
Exterior Cleaning
Euro Clear Top Coat — a true clear top coat applied after your last coat of paint — a Scheib exclusive that gives your car that super gloss finish.
Euro-Paint Pearl colors
RETAIL PRICE $769*

The Integrated Clear Coat provides your new paint finish with additional gloss and protection from the elements.

Anyone ever go to this guy for paint? Apparently there are shops all over the country. Seems like a decent deal to me
Old 02-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Launching!

If you're looking to get a beater painted, that's the way to go. But if you're concerned with looks, and durability, stay away. They're just as good as factobake and maaco. They don't remove door handles, moldings, mirrors, or anything for that matter. In no time it will start to peel at the edges, have dry spots or runs under the mirrors and door handles. They don't do any buffing. What you see is what you get.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am old enough to remember their adds for once a year special....

We'll paint any car for $19.95!! Over the years it went to $29.95 and then $39.95 and never saw them after that.

Oh,oh...Better call Macco!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by sundaydriver
Am old enough to remember their adds for once a year special....

We'll paint any car for $19.95!! Over the years it went to $29.95 and then $39.95 and never saw them after that.

Oh,oh...Better call Macco!
OH,OH..Better call Maaco.........2 a's.......I am old also...
Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a ws6 hood painted by them and it actually turned out really well, though i dont know how good they would paint a whole car. I know a guy on here had his paint done by maaco for 500 bucks and it turned out really well.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beyond Static
If you're looking to get a beater painted, that's the way to go. But if you're concerned with looks, and durability, stay away. They're just as good as factobake and maaco. They don't remove door handles, moldings, mirrors, or anything for that matter. In no time it will start to peel at the edges, have dry spots or runs under the mirrors and door handles. They don't do any buffing. What you see is what you get.
Well it does have a 6 year warranty, so I can't imagine the quality is too bad. My initial plan was to buy a Porter Cable or UDM with a compound, polish, and wax to remove the swirls, scratches, and oxidation, but I have a lot of deeper scratches and lots of stone chips and keymarks (in the military, parking on base sucks), so thats why I want a repaint. Its not a beater haha its my TA so quality is important, but not multi thousand dollar important, ya know?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

go somewhere else
Old 02-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Teching In

all above is true, when you go to a place like that they are basically tring to get you in and out asap, if you are serious about going there try to check out some cars they have already sprayed to get a idea, if you ask them they should not have any issues showing you some of their work, i dont know your abilities but detriming your car yourself is probobly a good idea if you can, if not plan on dealing with overspray. If the euro clear they are advertising is actually made by transtar, its pretty decent, but in the end... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! And in a few years at best.. you will have issues.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

get what you pay for....and im sure like previously mentioned, they want you in and out.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

That place is still around?
Earl has to be long gone.. he was like 100 years old when I was a kid. At least I think that was him in the commercials?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Macco and other shops vary from location to location. Some do awesome work, others break out a can of krylon and blindly overspray onto your new wheels. One of our local guys had his car done at Macco and it came out clean as hell for 500$. It looked twice as good as a another friend of mine who paid 1900 for a job by a private shop that did a complete **** job...

Even some private shops do a **** job. Moral of the story is visit every shop you are considering and watch the cars before and after. Stop by maybe twice a week and see what the finished product on someone elses ride before you drop the coin for a paint job...
Old 02-17-2008, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea 1 stage paint is like fukin a fat chick yea it gets the job done but ya friends are gonna make fun of u

but dude no joke save up and get a real paintjob there warranty doesnt mean **** they just half *** tape it up and spray over the peeling and such

and these cars are alot of plastic

there not gonna use flex additive or adhesion promoter

Last edited by jkwalkercchs; 02-17-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go for it, looks like a good deal. As an ls1 camaro owner, i realize that were not painting an expensive car here. GM made these cars cheap but fast. Our camaros and firebirds arent the most expensive cars on the market. Why spend 2-3 g's on a paint job when are cars are only booking at 6-7k. Sure everyone probably loves their cars alot but its not worth spending 1/3 to 1/2 the book value. Doesnt make sense in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jkwalkercchs
yea 1 stage paint is like fukin a fat **** yea it gets the job done but ya friends are gonna make fun of u

but dude no joke save up and get a real paintjob there warranty doesnt mean **** they just half *** tape it up and spray over the peeling and such

and these cars are alot of plastic

there not gonna use flex additive or adhesion promoter

Let me guess, your in high school?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by PACKERSz28Camaro
Go for it, looks like a good deal. As an ls1 camaro owner, i realize that were not painting an expensive car here. GM made these cars cheap but fast. Our camaros and firebirds arent the most expensive cars on the market. Why spend 2-3 g's on a paint job when are cars are only booking at 6-7k. Sure everyone probably loves their cars alot but its not worth spending 1/3 to 1/2 the book value. Doesnt make sense in my opinion.
Why does a car's book value have anything to do with how much money one should spend on it? I guess there's no point in spending $2-3k for a heads/cam package either, since the car is only worth 6-7k. Or God forbid a blower kit, that's $6k right there.

If you like your car, and want it to look it's best, "book value" shouldn't matter, IMO. Anyway, KBB on my '02 Z is still $11k with 72k miles. $6-7k won't get you a very nice LS1 car, unless it just has a lot of highway miles.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Why does a car's book value have anything to do with how much money one should spend on it? I guess there's no point in spending $2-3k for a heads/cam package either, since the car is only worth 6-7k. Or God forbid a blower kit, that's $6k right there.

If you like your car, and want it to look it's best, "book value" shouldn't matter, IMO. Anyway, KBB on my '02 Z is still $11k with 72k miles. $6-7k won't get you a very nice LS1 car, unless it just has a lot of highway miles.

A LOT! What are the chances a person keeps their car throughout their lifetime...slim to none. Hence, they will have to sell the car, and if you spend a lot of money on the car and you dont sell the mods seperatly, chances are your going to lose a lot of money. Paint is a completely different story from engine or other mods. Those can be taken off and sold for near what you bought them for. Paint cannot be taken off and sold. I do want my car to look really nice but like I said I dont see the sense in paying 2-3 grand for a paint job when the car is only worth 6-7k. All you gotta do is a little prep work before you bring it in to maaco or sheib. Mind you, I was referring to his 98 trans am the OP had and my 98 i currently have.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PACKERSz28Camaro
Let me guess, your in high school?
nope im ppg certified and i car certified

so i know what im talkin bout
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

but hey i dont know what im talking about im a "HIGH SCHOOLER"
so just take it to maco or whoever is gonna half *** spray prep it

cause some1s gonna have to fix it and stripping paint of of plastic isnt gonna be fun
so either u will be running a da on that car till u cant fill your hands
or pay some1 to do it for you

i cant tell u how much a nice paint job will help sale a car because it can be low on oil...smoke...pec....ping...knock...but if its shiny thats all the average buyer will notice lol
Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jkwalkercchs
but hey i dont know what im talking about im a "HIGH SCHOOLER"
so just take it to maco or whoever is gonna half *** spray prep it

cause some1s gonna have to fix it and stripping paint of of plastic isnt gonna be fun
so either u will be running a da on that car till u cant fill your hands
or pay some1 to do it for you

i cant tell u how much a nice paint job will help sale a car because it can be low on oil...smoke...pec....ping...knock...but if its shiny thats all the average buyer will notice lol
I have no idea what you just said...

I don't think its that bad of an idea to spend that 800 bucks and see what I get out of it. If it turns out to be shitty then I can always save up for something better. Anyone have any experience with any shops in or near San Diego?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sketterman
I have no idea what you just said...

I don't think its that bad of an idea to spend that 800 bucks and see what I get out of it. If it turns out to be shitty then I can always save up for something better. Anyone have any experience with any shops in or near San Diego?
ok im not trying to be an ******* when i say this

but if u put a half assed paint job on a car even if u save up later u still have to get the half assed paint off the car if u put a 10,000 paint job on top of a 800 paint job u have just that a 800 paint job

paint is only *** good as what it is sprayed over

Quick Reply: Earl Scheib??