Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Clearcoat polished wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clearcoat polished wheels?

ok, so i'm getting some polished wheels in 2 - 3 weeks, once they're done being made, and i just want to know if it is possible to get them clearcoated so i don't have to keep them polished all the time. i mean, i will if i have to, but it would be nice if i didn't have to worry about it all the time.

how much would something like this run, generally speaking? maybe someone in the paint & body industry could give me some rough prices.....

btw, they are 2-piece rims, if that matters at all, hence the reason they don't offer a chrome option.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

anyone?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never tried it, but do a search for Zoop Seal
Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

i painted the black on my TT2's and clear coated the entire wheel so even the polished lip was clearcoated. I never had a problem. Just make sure you dont use a harsh chemical on them if you do clear coat them and dont use a mothers powerball if you do it also. Get used to hand polishing them.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, i don't want to put any other color on them, though....i just wanna know if they make any clearcoat that can go directly onto metal like that, so they will stay nice & shiny without needing to polish them all the time.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

im pretty sure that you can clear coat them. if you get rims from ccw or fikse they have the option of getting the rim clearcoated. the only thing is if you use a clearcoat like stated above get real use to cleaning them by hand. most rim brushes unless have extremely soft bristles will put scratches in the clear and a harsh chemical will give the clear a chance of lifting. also if you decide to go with getting them clearcoated give them a good polish to make sure they have the shine you want.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Most people frown on the clearcoat idea because it will actually haze the brilliance of the rims.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
im pretty sure that you can clear coat them. if you get rims from ccw or fikse they have the option of getting the rim clearcoated. the only thing is if you use a clearcoat like stated above get real use to cleaning them by hand. most rim brushes unless have extremely soft bristles will put scratches in the clear and a harsh chemical will give the clear a chance of lifting. also if you decide to go with getting them clearcoated give them a good polish to make sure they have the shine you want.
yeah, i'm fine with all that, i would clean them by hand anyway....i was just curious if it is possible to have them cleared and not have the clear just lift on you for no reason, even if you didn't use harsh chemicals & stuff.

cleaning them by hand with the clearcoat would still likely be a lot less labor-intensive than having to polish & re-polish them all the time.

i guess i'm gonna call my local paint & body shops and see how much they'd charge for such a thing......

Quick Reply: Clearcoat polished wheels?