Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

So how hard is it to properly paint body panels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So how hard is it to properly paint body panels?

Well... I had some psychology homework to do, and after a long day of work, decided I'd make a Starbucks expedition to get some energy and a calm, quiet place to get some stuff done... And it went great! I was tearing straight through my F-Statistics and had just finished demolishing my last problem... When my spidey-senses went off. I looked up immediately to see a gold honda accord AWFULLY close to my front end. The same front end that I just paid ~$1300 to have fixed after a hit-and-run incident with a white pickup/SUV. The same hit-and-run that has caused me to park only next to concrete barriers and away from other cars. Yet SOMEHOW this Zeta Tau Alpha managed to STILL hit my front bumper. Freaking blonde Aggie. But I must say, she was very nice and polite and actually STOPPED unlike that pickup/SUV driver.

Anyways, I think it's strictly paint transfer & some scratches... No bracket damage from what I can tell. So basically - I'm thinking about getting her to in essence buy me an airbrush, a sander, a buffer, and a crapload of GM paint (maybe even a 2nd bumper since apparently this is a regular occurance for me) and doing the work myself. What do you guys think? Would it be too tough for someone who has very little painting experience? I do have some friends who have a little more experience who would be willing to help... What do y'all think? Do it myself or pay the same shop that just repaired my car to repaint the front bumper AGAIN?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

I would just pay the same shop to paint it again if you are satified with their work. I mean I do this for a living and still would rather someone else do it. I never seem to have time to work on my own.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

IMO just do it yourself, I did go to school for this before working in any body/paint shops but I taught myself first on my own vehicle by reading stuff I found online and asking lots of questions. I always tell everybody: anybody can shoot a car the devil is in the details and preparation. Just research it and practice before you do it, it's hard to really screw up a base clear paint job real bad.
some good reading here;
https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/891483-paint-body-tech.html
Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is so easy, anyone could paint cars and even make it have a show car appearance. Nothing to it.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vetman1
It is so easy, anyone could paint cars and even make it have a show car appearance. Nothing to it.
Really? cause my homemade berger panel looks like ****!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

its not hard to pull the trigger. its really not hard to prep cars either but its all in how you do it and how much time and care you put into it. i do this aswell for a living and ull see by working in a shop you want to get stuff done as fast as possible and still get the best product. on my personal car i take my time and make it right.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

you folks make this sound easy... what's hard to do is the prep and final work of not getting too much over spray or runs, etc. Black is very hard to paint. I'd say if her insurance will pay for it. just have the shop do it.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned

i say do it, take this as an opportunity to learn something and get some new tools that you can use say if the paint job will be out of your pocket next time rather than just being back where you started.

if you do mess up then you have the equip to redo it with a little more experience, unless your stressed for time it'd be a bad idea to rush paint jobs

Quick Reply: So how hard is it to properly paint body panels?