Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Help! I Hurt My Poor Driver's Side Door!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I Hurt My Poor Driver's Side Door!

Well, I'm a ******* idiot and as I was rolling off the ramps from changing the oil today, my slightly open door caught the box from my catback which caught the wall and ripped my door open way wider than it was designed to open. Needless to say, I about cried. It bent the hinge so that in order to close the door you have to lift up on it, so I've been going in and out through the passenger side and climbing over the center console-not fun. The worst part is I tore the fiberglass on the front of the door about an inch and a half from the stress. Here's some pics of the carnage (BTW what looks like a long scratch in the first and third pics is the reflection of my camera strap):

How much am I looking at to get this fixed? Is it worth fixing or should I just get a new door? Either way Im gonna need new hinges. If I do get a new door that's not black, how much does it cost to get it painted? Also, is shipping on a door gonna be rape? I'm so bummed out because this car is my baby.

PS. If anybody is selling a black driver's side T/A door close to the Phoenix, AZ area, hit me up and I'll love you long time
Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring it to the body shop get a estimate, then go from there as to which route is cheapest to go and in the best interest...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would prob get a new door it wouldnt be worth the trouble to fix that 1. See if you can find 1 at the junk yard. If you have to pick up the door n all that sounds like its prob messed up pretty good.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Pick up a new door, strip it your self (Door panel, glass, speaker crap also lighten the door up by pulling the crash bars out) pay some one to shoot it, put door back together and reinstall... should cost no less than $300... if you search...

-justin
Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for get a new door and beam it, can drop quite a bit of weight
Old 04-07-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, that sucks. I think I would try and find a new door also...unless you know someone who can re-skin it cheap. You should look at where the hinges bolt to the body and make sure that didn't get twisted up also.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Launching!

It looks like I bent the top hinge slightly, but where it connects to the car looks just fine. This would explain my difficulties opening and closing the door. I'm certainly capable of transferring all the working stuff from my door into the new one so that's no problem. How much should I expect to spray the door? If anyone is selling a driver's side door and/or hinges, please PM me!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Well I found a door locally, guy wants $150 for it. It's silver and completely loaded with window, motor, etc. Does that sound fair? If I decide to strip it, how hard is it to put my existing window assembly in? Also again, how much should I expect to pay to get it painted? GM black isn't hard to match is it? I just want it to look like it did before--like it never happened

Well at least this gives me an excuse to do the !side molding and !door emblem mod...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id sell you a black one for 150 good shape , but im in pittsburgh