Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Flat Black 2002 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Black 2002 Firebird

Well in my other thread you can see where some paint had been spilled on my car and am having a tough time getting it off (actually removed some of the original clear and paint trying to get the spill off ) . The car is also SOM . It winded up being enough damage to need the whoel car repainted and it is a long story I don't really want to get into how and why and all that mostly because I'm not sure how paint got spilled on the car happened overnight. But (and I know this may be a bold move) but im thinking about flat black or a semi gloss like flat with clear over it and doing white blackbird stripes and white inserts in the ram air hood and the vent on the side white. What do you guys think?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It'll probably be cheapest to get the car repainted the same color, but if you're going to do the more costly color change I'd go satin black instead of flat black. Before making the vents white as well I'd go chrome or stainless steel. Just my 2 cents, whatever you do just make the car look however it would make you happy with it because thats all that really counts.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

If it was not clear you can whipe that paint off with a rag and laquer thinner. I dont know the details on the spill. So if this is useless i was just trying to help.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

ah i saw your other thread... man that sucks, sorry.

i would have a pro repaint just the bumper or hood or whatever was messed up.. it would be cheaper. be sure to get a pro or at least a guy that can get the same color as your car.

but on the other hand if you want to repaint the whole car.. if i am thinking correctly.. if you clear a flat black it will become like a glossy charcoal color, and defeat the flat black idea. the white on the sides and hood may look good maybe fade them as they go out.. but then again it may look too bold on a flat black car. id get someone to photoshop you a TA with what you like. the main thing is do a lot of research so that you dont end up with a bad/unlikeable paint job.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28voodoo
ah i saw your other thread... man that sucks, sorry.

i would have a pro repaint just the bumper or hood or whatever was messed up.. it would be cheaper. be sure to get a pro or at least a guy that can get the same color as your car.

but on the other hand if you want to repaint the whole car.. if i am thinking correctly.. if you clear a flat black it will become like a glossy charcoal color, and defeat the flat black idea. the white on the sides and hood may look good maybe fade them as they go out.. but then again it may look too bold on a flat black car. id get someone to photoshop you a TA with what you like. the main thing is do a lot of research so that you dont end up with a bad/unlikeable paint job.
yeah have a good offer on getting the car painted 800 from a guy around here whos been painting for YEARS and is really good. He takes his time which isn't a bad thing but it usually takes him a while longer than most people to paint but for the price its good. Who does some good photoshop work?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pheonix
If it was not clear you can whipe that paint off with a rag and laquer thinner. I dont know the details on the spill. So if this is useless i was just trying to help.
thanks i was actually using some kind of cheap thinner i had and was working fine on my door ubt when i got to the little bit that splashed on the spoiler it actually took my clear off i may have scrubbed to hard not sure
Old 04-09-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

flat black would be bad ***. i say go for it.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

here are some pics on a 93 - 97 model with the matte finish im leaning towards i suppose its just a flat black with a clear coat
Attached Thumbnails Flat Black 2002 Firebird-taflatblack.jpg   Flat Black 2002 Firebird-taflatblack2.jpg  
Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Teching In

better get some black rims to go with it though, because that one picture where the chrome rims are visable makes the car look like its not finished. As far as the white vents go, that would look sweet, do it.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TA looks awful close to my satin black DD
Attached Thumbnails Flat Black 2002 Firebird-picture-014edit.jpg  

Last edited by Z28/2002; 04-10-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

go satin dude
Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Go for the satin look.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Addict

satin all the way
Old 04-10-2008, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

so you guys think sating will look good? with maybe some white blackbird stripes and blacked out wheels>? If so I'm getting paint today and will post pics when its done
Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Launching!

I don't understand all this "flat black" stuff I've been seeing lately. To me, it appears to be a car that looks unfinished, like its in primer. I'm not saying don't do it, if its what you want, by all means go for it. But I really think it looks unfinished, id prefer a traditional paint job (especially if you've got SOM....just sand and respray the bad areas)
Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Wanted to do that badly but having a really hard time matching the SOM I have found a really close shade but still have to blend into adjacent panels and it gets hard to do with the shape of the car. And all the paint shops i took it too said they would hate to try to blend that color
Old 04-10-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it looks like the whole car is in E-coat... (thats what is on new parts before you paint them when you replace them... looks like the car is in the test fit stage and was never finished... i wouldnt do that especially going to that from SOM... just my opinion tho take it for what it is.... sucks about the paint spilling... almost 100% of the time anything that spill on clear coat is removable with either thinners or buffing.... unless its acidic... or somthing like an egg that bits in the paint past the clear... what did u use to get it off??
Old 04-10-2008, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transmaro93
it looks like the whole car is in E-coat... (thats what is on new parts before you paint them when you replace them... looks like the car is in the test fit stage and was never finished... i wouldnt do that especially going to that from SOM... just my opinion tho take it for what it is.... sucks about the paint spilling... almost 100% of the time anything that spill on clear coat is removable with either thinners or buffing.... unless its acidic... or somthing like an egg that bits in the paint past the clear... what did u use to get it off??
Had tried using thinner but it ate into the surrounding paint. It wasn't that bad repairable until I got to the little splashes on the spoiler and the thinner and one swipe with a towel took paint that spilled original clear and some original paint off.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Satin Black with a Matte or Flat clear coat.
DO IT!!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

I think satin black is awesome!

Quick Reply: Flat Black 2002 Firebird