Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Starting painting car today

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting painting car today

Before reading I have painted before with one minor mess up on a plastic bumper once so please none of the take it to a professional comments because I have painted a few bumpers and fenders before and feel confident to try my first car (with some help)
Well I'm starting a whole paint job on the car and if you saw my other thread I decided against the flat black am going to repaint SOM. I just couldn't give up the way that color looks in the sun. But before I start heres my plans need a little help on this. I have painted before but once when I dont a plastic bumper I had a little trouble when I went to buff it A few places chipped. Painted it again and didn't buff. But I'm going to wash everything with dishwashing liquid a few times, tape everything off and start sanding up to 600 grit and on the bumpers, fenders, door skinds, and mirror pieces I'm going to use bulldog cleaner and scuff its like a soap that will wash and scuff all at once for plastic. Then on EVERYTHING I'm going to go over with a tack rag then spray bull dog on the plastic parts bumpers etc.... then not sure if i need to let it dry then sand lightly and hit it with a tack rag or paint on within the 4 minute flash time it states on bottle where it will still be wet couldnt sand or anything after 4 minutes (have had success both ways before though but this is a whole car not a door or fender that could be easily re-done). Anyways going to start applying basecoats over the bulldog either while bulldog is wet or after sanding the bulldog and using a tack cloth.
Going to do around 3 coats of paint mixed 1 part bull dog to 3 parts paint. Then same with the clear then going to wait around a month before I buff to make sure everything is setlled in and cured good (better safe than sorry)
Old 04-17-2008, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Will bull dog work as a primer? Or do I need to get a special primer or what for the plastic?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

personally dont care for bulldog products, but you should seal it before you paint it
Old 04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redramair98
personally dont care for bulldog products, but you should seal it before you paint it
any recommendations for sealing
Old 04-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Launching!

just do the clean and scuff then pray the bull dog. Then give it its flash time then apply sealer. I would do a gray sealer. After that let it dry then spray a coat of paint.Then i usually sand it lightly with 800 first coat to remove the little trash from sealer or paint. then tack it and finish it off.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is this a raw plastic product?? i only use a adhesion promoter on raw unprimed plastic like most import bumpers are
if this is a repaired plastic, no need for a adhesion promoter, if your using ppg like the dbc system, use the ncs sealer, and add flex agent in the clear, remember flex agent evpaorates after 6 months, or if this is a remanufactured bumper with a black primer on it, i take a red scuff pad, prep it, seal, base, clear never with one problem

Quick Reply: Starting painting car today